Old school comedians to keep everyone entertained in lockdown.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what a f**kwit he was.

I was brought up to despise Bernard, but around 7-8 years ago, for some reason had a look into this horrible mans act, and background and found myself studying quite extensively, the working class, self-made millionaire.

He was actually unfairly treated because of his act.
The key word to remember here IS the word act - that's all it was, an act.
His family never heard him swear at home.
He was brought up as a Catholic and so was his son.
His fathers uncles/great uncles Natham and Myer were Russian Jews.

He flew a young Asian child for treatment costing circa £100,000
He didn't raise thousands for charity, he actually raised millions of pounds for charity.

What Mr Manning did, was put bums on seats. People liked his act.
Some of his jokes were very close to the bone, but not as nasty as the likes of Jimmy Carr, a comedian I like, but sometimes he goes too far.

I suppose some might say Bernard was a racist, but he told jokes about everyone and I know of Jewish people that would attend The Embassy Club and felt drunk on laughter because his jokes were non stop, but also funny.
Bernard would be invited to barmitzphas, he worked with Clive LLoyd, Faruq Engineer and John Conte to name a few.

Below, is a picture of my right-hand man, my partner in crime, my best mate.

1587066512320.png

He would go to the Embassy club with some other black guys to see Bernard.
They didn't have to go, they went because they thought Bernard provided a great night out.
Sure, he ribbed them on and off throughout the night, but the guys loved the show and a bottle of champagne on their table from Bernard.
I suppose one has to say Bernard was a racist because he told racist jokes, but people laughed at the gags whether they were about them or not.
Like it or not, Bernard was a funny guy and quite a good singer to boot.

One night, Bernard invited my mate (above) on to the stage to have his photograph taken.
He asked where he lived.
Around a week or so later, the photo was delivered to my mates house. Not many wealthy showbiz people could be bothered with that sort of thing, but, Bernard was a man of his word.

Bernard was also a soft touch. If someone came to his door with a problem and he could help out (usually financially) he would do so.
His son recalls this and says Bernard was probably hoodwinked quite a few times, but he was happy as long as he had helped out those in genuine need.

Bernard performed an act, that filled theatres and clubs.
He was a Royal Command Performer no less and commented that meeting Princess Anne was like shaking hands with Red Rum.

He did a short stint at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and they wanted him to stay for 6 months which would have netted him more money than he did at The Embassy in 6 years, but he declined the offer to be at home with his friends and family.

He did crack some nasty gags and do the occasional silly thing, but at heart Manning was actually quite a good egg.

Performers are performers doing things that please an audience. That doesn't mean that they are like that off stage.

Last edited:
I was brought up to despise Bernard, but around 7-8 years ago, for some reason had a look into this horrible mans act, and background and found myself studying quite extensively, the working class, self-made millionaire.

He was actually unfairly treated because of his act.
The key word to remember here IS the word act - that's all it was, an act.
His family never heard him swear at home.
He was brought up as a Catholic and so was his son.
His fathers uncles/great uncles Natham and Myer were Russian Jews.

He flew a young Asian child for treatment costing circa £100,000
He didn't raise thousands for charity, he actually raised millions of pounds for charity.

What Mr Manning did, was put bums on seats. People liked his act.
Some of his jokes were very close to the bone, but not as nasty as the likes of Jimmy Carr, a comedian I like, but sometimes he goes too far.

I suppose some might say Bernard was a racist, but he told jokes about everyone and I know of Jewish people that would attend The Embassy Club and felt drunk on laughter because his jokes were non stop, but also funny.
Bernard would be invited to barmitzphas, he worked with Clive LLoyd, Faruq Engineer and John Conte to name a few.

Below, is a picture of my right-hand man, my partner in crime, my best mate.

View attachment 94631

He would go to the Embassy club with some other black guys to see Bernard.
They didn't have to go, they went because they thought Bernard provided a great night out.
Sure, he ribbed them on and off throughout the night, but the guys loved the show and a bottle of champagne on their table from Bernard.
I suppose one has to say Bernard was a racist because he told racist jokes, but people laughed at the gags whether they were about them or not.
Like it or not, Bernard was a funny guy and quite a good singer to boot.

One night, Bernard invited my mate (above) on to the stage to have his photograph taken.
He asked where he lived.
Around a week or so later, the photo was delivered to my mates house. Not many wealthy showbiz people could be bothered with that sort of thing, but, Bernard was a man of his word.

Bernard was also a soft touch. If someone came to his door with a problem and he could help out (usually financially) he would do so.
His son recalls this and says Bernard was probably hoodwinked quite a few times, but he was happy as long as he had helped out those in genuine need.

Bernard performed an act, that filled theatres and clubs.
He was a Royal Command Performer no less and commented that meeting Princess Anne was like shaking hands with Red Rum.

He did a short stint at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and they wanted him to stay for 6 months which would have netted him more money than he did at The Embassy in 6 years, but he declined the offer to be at home with his friends and family.

He did crack some nasty gags and do the occasional silly thing, but at heart Manning was actually quite a good egg.

Performers are performers doing things that please an audience. That doesn't mean that they are like that off stage.

I respect you Paul and all you say (You know that). But I’ve heard enough in my time In Manchester (embassy club included) that allows me my opinion on BM. Just not my kinda guy unfortunately.

what a f**kwit he was.

Why?

Your comment seems typically "Woke", you are, I believe, being judgemental based on "modern societal norms."

He clearly had a very large and loyal following during hi long and successful career and to just take him at face value and criticise is somewhat disingenuous .

I barely remember him and find a lot of his comedy different and challenging but knee jerk condemnations worry me.

Bernard Manning, Vile relic of a long bygone age.
My reply is the same as to Ant:

Why?

Your comment seems typically "Woke", you are, I believe, being judgemental based on "modern societal norms."

He clearly had a very large and loyal following during hi long and successful career and to just take him at face value and criticise is somewhat disingenuous .

I barely remember him and find a lot of his comedy different and challenging but knee jerk condemnations worry me.

He is not someone I would choose to watch but we do need to judge things (actually do we?) in context.

I respect you Paul and all you say (You know that). But I’ve heard enough in my time In Manchester (embassy club included) that allows me my opinion on BM. Just not my kinda guy unfortunately.

Ant, I respect you and all you say too, which is why there isn't a smidging of a chance of us falling out over our differing views.

Some of the gags were awful,
Perhaps one of Bernard's cleverest gags that a lot of people find hilarious is not for me and I could never tell that gag because I feel it falls outside of the "It's just a joke" confine.

I actually really did used to hate the guy, but after researching in depth, I'm not saying he was white than white - we know he wasn't - but he did start to shine through to me, quite possibly because I had (in part at least), wrongly labelled him as bad guy.

I find people who enjoy his humour are generally the type who call Black people 'Coloured', and are the type who think go around calling certain members of society 'Poofs

The type who get all defensive when someone tries to explain that their antiquated views have no place in modern society.

Last edited:
I find people who enjoy his humour are generally the type who call Black people 'Coloured', and are the type who think go around calling certain members of society 'Poofs'
That is your prerogative but do not please attach that epithet to all of us who have a broader view of life etc eh?

We are lucky to have friends from all parts of the world, society, religions, orientation etc. Two Gay friends ( one African and one Italian) find him hilarious!

People are just different and that is what makes people so interesting, exciting and unpredictable !

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think this was the gist of the thread...... In any case this is funny now, it was then and it will be in 40 years.

All I hope is that in the next few years people start to view James Corden like Bernard Manning, because Corden is a pious, unfunny, obsequious w******.

All I hope is that in the next few years people start to view James Corden like Bernard Manning, because Corden is a pious, unfunny, obsequious w******.

In your opinion obviously.:dk:

I was, in another life head bouncer/doorman at a night club in Oldham called " The Cats Whiskers " BM played quite a few nights a year. The place was always packed and i had to take on extra staff.
He acted how the audience expected him to act. At the end of his act he was just like any other entertainer...just a normal guy doing a job....

Having nearly been arrested for playing their material in a car:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NSFW in any way
Haven't heard that in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom