Old school comedians to keep everyone entertained in lockdown.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bernard Righton

An antidote for the “woke” generation.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I prefer comedians who laugh at themselves over those who laugh at others.

As for Bernard Manning I have a visual of battered VHS copies of his act being cleared out of damp old council houses which have that unique aroma of chips and fags.

Fags Chips Council Houses, Sounds slightly racist against life's "Dregs" may have to mention this to the Killer, Got the Popcorn, Let's Go!

[/Quote ]Dr Feelgood. As for Bernard Manning I have a visual of battered VHS copies of his act being cleared out of damp old council houses which have that unique aroma of chips and fags.
[/QUOTE]

I prefer comedians who laugh at themselves over those who laugh at others.

As for Bernard Manning I have a visual of battered VHS copies of his act being cleared out of damp old council houses which have that unique aroma of chips and fags.
I’ve never seen one of those.

I was brought up to despise Bernard, but around 7-8 years ago, for some reason had a look into this horrible mans act, and background and found myself studying quite extensively, the working class, self-made millionaire.

He was actually unfairly treated because of his act.
The key word to remember here IS the word act - that's all it was, an act.
His family never heard him swear at home.
He was brought up as a Catholic and so was his son.
His fathers uncles/great uncles Natham and Myer were Russian Jews.

He flew a young Asian child for treatment costing circa £100,000
He didn't raise thousands for charity, he actually raised millions of pounds for charity.

What Mr Manning did, was put bums on seats. People liked his act.
Some of his jokes were very close to the bone, but not as nasty as the likes of Jimmy Carr, a comedian I like, but sometimes he goes too far.

I suppose some might say Bernard was a racist, but he told jokes about everyone and I know of Jewish people that would attend The Embassy Club and felt drunk on laughter because his jokes were non stop, but also funny.
Bernard would be invited to barmitzphas, he worked with Clive LLoyd, Faruq Engineer and John Conte to name a few.

Below, is a picture of my right-hand man, my partner in crime, my best mate.

View attachment 94631

He would go to the Embassy club with some other black guys to see Bernard.
They didn't have to go, they went because they thought Bernard provided a great night out.
Sure, he ribbed them on and off throughout the night, but the guys loved the show and a bottle of champagne on their table from Bernard.
I suppose one has to say Bernard was a racist because he told racist jokes, but people laughed at the gags whether they were about them or not.
Like it or not, Bernard was a funny guy and quite a good singer to boot.

One night, Bernard invited my mate (above) on to the stage to have his photograph taken.
He asked where he lived.
Around a week or so later, the photo was delivered to my mates house. Not many wealthy showbiz people could be bothered with that sort of thing, but, Bernard was a man of his word.

Bernard was also a soft touch. If someone came to his door with a problem and he could help out (usually financially) he would do so.
His son recalls this and says Bernard was probably hoodwinked quite a few times, but he was happy as long as he had helped out those in genuine need.

Bernard performed an act, that filled theatres and clubs.
He was a Royal Command Performer no less and commented that meeting Princess Anne was like shaking hands with Red Rum.

He did a short stint at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and they wanted him to stay for 6 months which would have netted him more money than he did at The Embassy in 6 years, but he declined the offer to be at home with his friends and family.

He did crack some nasty gags and do the occasional silly thing, but at heart Manning was actually quite a good egg.

Performers are performers doing things that please an audience. That doesn't mean that they are like that off stage.

Agree with everything - well said!

My anecdote is less worthy:

The first Mrs Swotty and I went to see BM at the Batley Variety Club in the '70s when it was THE entertainment venue. We had seats 3 rows from the front. Mrs S. was nicely dressed with her assets clearly noticeable. "Look at them" scoffed BM - "like two bald men nutting each other - bet your husband doesn't go hungry".

Would we be offended if a comedian said that, these days? Personally I wouldn't be.

BM was excellent, but the best show we saw there, c. '76, was very different ... Neil Sedaka ... what a brilliant live performer.

Agree with everything - well said!

My anecdote is less worthy:

The first Mrs Swotty and I went to see BM at the Batley Variety Club in the '70s when it was THE entertainment venue. We had seats 3 rows from the front. Mrs S. was nicely dressed with her assets clearly noticeable. "Look at them" scoffed BM - "like two bald men nutting each other - bet your husband doesn't go hungry".

Would we be offended if a comedian said that, these days? Personally I wouldn't be.

BM was excellent, but the best show we saw there, c. '76, was very different ... Neil Sedaka ... what a brilliant live performer.

I remember going to see the Grumbleweeds at Batley Variety Club. They were quite famous having their own radio and tv shows. Their humour was harmless nonsense. I laughed until my jaw ached.

My favourite current comedian is Tim Vine (Jeremy’s brother). He holds records for the most jokes told per hour. I’ve seen him live more times than I can remember. Highly recommended.

I remember going to see the Grumbleweeds at Batley Variety Club. They were quite famous having their own radio and tv shows. Their humour was harmless nonsense. I laughed until my jaw ached.

My favourite current comedian is Tim Vine (Jeremy’s brother). He holds records for the most jokes told per hour. I’ve seen him live more times than I can remember. Highly recommended.
I think one of his jokes at a particular Fringe was voted the best ever.

A self deprecating comedian or a minging council house?
The comedian.
The American comedy acts touched on it a few years ago but it never really took off here.

Over the last 20 odd years they all seem to do the observational comedy type thing pioneered by Dave Allen. (Who ripped the piss out of religion as well).

Last edited:
Class Act, Part 1

Class Act, Part 2.

The comedian.
The American comedy acts touched on it a few years ago but it never really took off here.

Over the last 20 odd years they all seem to do the observational comedy type thing pioneered by Dave Allen. (Who ripped the piss out of religion as well).

"And may your God go with you"

Brilliant!

Ken Dodd. WHAT a performer and his humour worked across all classes, ages and creeds. I saw him 3 times and he never failed to make me ache. The second one ran 90 minutes over! (apparently, orchestras hated doing one of his gigs as they never knew what time they'd get home but were paid per gig but not per hour)

Well, here's an article that some might find interesting. LINK.

I saw Mick Miller in a pub gig in the Channel Islands back in the 70's and he was a genuinely funny guy.

As far as old school comics, Bob Monkhouse was extremely clever, Ken Dodd hilarious, and a few of the comics on "The Comedians" TV show were very good. Ken Goodwin, George Roper, Mike Reid and Frank Carson cracked me up despite the corny lines. Bernard Manning I could take or leave. It wasn't the content of his jokes, it was the delivery I just couldn't get on with.

Fast forward to today and there are a few comics who really make me laugh. Billy Connolly is the undisputed king and will never be copied.
Sarah Millican, Micky Flanagan, Jimmy Carr and Sean Lock I will watch and laugh at, Frankie Boyle makes me cringe with embarrassment.
When comics have to turn to pure filth to get laughs, it shows just how good some of the old school really were. (Yep, Ken Dodd and Monkhouse could do the blue act too)

Comedians are like cars in a way. We like some, despise others, but its good to have a choice. Its easy enough to press the off button if you don't like 'em.

Fast forward to today and there are a few comics who really make me laugh. Billy Connolly is the undisputed king and will never be copied.
Sarah Millican, Micky Flanagan, Jimmy Carr and Sean Lock I will watch and laugh at, Frankie Boyle makes me cringe with embarrassment.

Plus one for Micky Flanagan.

Frankie Boyle makes me very uncomfortable. I can’t help laughing at some of his material but I feel guilty afterwards. It’s definitely not uplifting stuff.

Over the last few years I’ve only really got into Lee Evans and Mickey Flanagan.
Peter Kaye is as amusing as a kick in the plums, someone has mentioned Frankie Boyle and Michael Macintyre does write is own material.

Well, here's an article that some might find interesting. LINK.

Unfortunately some are not gifted with the ability to challenge their own prejudices or mature enough to accept that those preconceptions may be misplaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom