Old Vs, er, less old

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kraftwerk, Dec 24, 2008.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    97 R129 500; 78 Fiat 238 Weinsberg; 74 Fiat 128 Special; 99 Honda X11, 99 Suzuki GSX1300R
    Since we got the SL a couple of months ago, well, you know what it's like... Joined the Merc owners' club, spend too much time browsing eBay.de for that elusive bit that I don't really need, spent an awful lot of time perfecting the tiniest cosmetic details that make the ownership experience all the more satisfying.

BUT... already, I've been looking to the future. Thinking, 'Well, in a few years' time, I could bag myself a SL500 R230.' Current values are falling like John Denver's Long-Eze - we've all seen sub-30k mile examples for under £20k.

Yesterday, Joe (m'wife) and I were shopping in the West End. We saw one or two 230s up close and I pointed them out as 'Our next motor.'

'But it's horrible compared to ours...' she said; 'ours is so cool and simple-looking. Lots of straight lines, and the rear window of the hard top, in particular, makes the effort of removing it worthwhile, It's more fun to have to make the effort...'

Just nice to have a different perspective.

2. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    And she's right....best car Bruno ever designed.

3. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    No offence, but IMO Mrs kraftwerk is wrong. The R230 SL is one of the best looking cars made in the last 50 years and if you find a good one will be a excellent car to own and drive.

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    I also went through a phase of looking at R230s as a 'next car'. But ... the build quality doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as the R129 - lots of stories of suspension problems / roof rattles / water leaks / etc.

Plus the boot is nowhere near as practical as the R129's, and it has no rear seats. So I'm not really tempted any more.

5. boeken

boeken Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500 from 96
    same here, r129 ticks all the boxes, 230 does not for me (but i do like the 230 as a car, just not for me at this stage)

6. stumpy1

stumpy1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs and non Mercs
    Rear seats are missed on the 230

7. OP
    OP
    kraftwerk

kraftwerk Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    97 R129 500; 78 Fiat 238 Weinsberg; 74 Fiat 128 Special; 99 Honda X11, 99 Suzuki GSX1300R
    Actually, having come away (to Scotland via Lincolnshire) in the car for the first time since I took delivery, I've surprised myself with the amount of luggage we've been able to carry - two large holdalls, coats, loads of footwear, cameras, laptop, Christmas presents, dog accoutrements and dog. Probably at least double what we'd be able to carry in a 230.

Got 400 miles from a tank, and I wasn't hanging about. Properly chuffed with this car.