older diesels to be banned from within the M25...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do not forget that english lorries are running all over europe as well. I would suggest that english firms stick up the fingers at ken and do what stobart does. register your trucks in the EU . belgium or holland. Buy diesel anywhere and drive into the uk. easy.if the laws are only for uk registered trucks (are they?) then you will be laughing.
The government is just wrecking the industry that is why the whole economy is almost being run by foreign firms.

:mad: i am just sick of this ken guy. thank goodness i do not live in london.He should point those cameras at all the stabbing areas going on in east london. he is just forcing hard working law abiding guys to become criminals overnight. :mad:

We get them all over here, lorries from everywhere, and with Mayor Ken's new tax on the English lorries and vans it's going to be a huge boost to foreign firms running on Russian diesel, driven by sleepy drivers in their LHD 44 tonne trucks maintained to who knows what standard.

Once again the British set out to destroy one of their own industries...

This seems like the 'victim' attitude. It is not only unrealistic but in my view untrue. All countries are producing higher and higher standards and key to this is Germany who have possibly the highest standards. Trucks cannot cross Germany, and it is almost unavoidable for all traffic coming from the East, unless they comply with German standards, on pollution, tyres and a whole raft of safety features and be sure, the germans are not reluctant to check.
All countries are advancing their regulation and legislation but after the initial moaning they just get on with it. In Germany they have introduced a toll for all trucks on the autobahn. Given still the high costs in Germany compared to neighbouring countries, has this affected, truckers, forwarders, sea cargo and air cargo? No, far from it, they just get down and do a proper job. as a consequence the Germany economy is expanding again.
California has also been in the forefront of eco type legislation and from the start it has targeted the motor industry, have you noticed how poor California is?
What is noticeable is how relatively rare it is to see a British truck on the continent

This seems like the 'victim' attitude. It is not only unrealistic but in my view untrue.

Well I was speaking to an Austrian lorry driver who had come to collect a machine, his lorry had long range tanks and all his diesel was brought in Russia, apparantly he could fill up in Russia work in western europe, get as far as the boarders in the Uk and still get back home. I don't imagine he was unique.

You'll note that as well as using cheaper fuel, the Polish and Bulgarian drivers are also on a fraction of what UK drivers earn, they are also under presure to keep on driving and not take breaks.

And almost every time I drive on the motorway here I see some unfortunate UK car that has been hit by a LHD lorry, some just get away with a side damage, others end up being dragged around the front of the truck and rolled over - I actually got hit by a lorry from Belgium who either didn't see my large white van, or just pulled out without looking...

"Eastern European vehicles are the worst with prohibition notices placed on 62% of those tested from the Czech Republic, 61% from Romania, 55% from Latvia and 52% from Bulgaria."

"Foreign lorry drivers are more than twice as likely as British drivers to have breached rules governing the amount of time spent behind the wheel."

"Foreign vehicles are more likely to be overloaded with a third of those tested from Spain, Portugal and Ireland found to be over the weight limit"

"Diesel is a third cheaper on the Continent and foreign vehicles can work a week in the UK without having to fill up again. Three quarters of all lorries crossing the Channel are now foreign registered. A decade ago half were British." (http://www.kent.gov.uk/news/apr-07-lorries.htm)

This is not about being a victim, but more about unfair competition, laws which damage our own people, and unsafe lorries killing English people.

Well I was speaking to an Austrian lorry driver who had come to collect a machine, his lorry had long range tanks and all his diesel was brought in Russia, apparantly he could fill up in Russia work in western europe, get as far as the boarders in the Uk and still get back home. I don't imagine he was unique.

And almost every time I drive on the motorway here I see some unfortunate UK car that has been hit by a LHD lorry, some just get away with a side damage, others end up being dragged around the front of the truck and rolled over - I actually got hit by a lorry from Belgium who either didn't see my large white van, or just pulled out without looking...
"Diesel is a third cheaper on the Continent and foreign vehicles can work a week in the UK without having to fill up again. Three quarters of all lorries crossing the Channel are now foreign registered. A decade ago half were British." (http://www.kent.gov.uk/news/apr-07-lorries.htm)

This is not about being a victim, but more about unfair competition, laws which damage our own people, and unsafe lorries killing English people.

This is a bit harsh

Please I think the government and its laws not the foreign truck drivers are to blame here. There are unsafe trucks in every country and i cannot honestly believe that foreign trucks have more accidents than british trucks in the UK. Of late three british trucks have killed 9 people on the M6 in april. Another smashed a family to death at the end of the M62 last year in july in front of my eyes.
Any good business takes advantage of the laws surrounding it.
Unsafe lorries killing english people?
More like english lorries killing english people. and also english lorries and drivers killing foreigners as well. (Gumball Rally).
If diesel is cheaper on the continent ask gordon brown why, not mr polish driver.
When we run to france and spain for cheap booze and fags nobody moans.

the latest crash on the M25 was not foreign i believe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom