Older Low Mileage vs Newer Higher Mileage (CL500s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
With the proposed ULEZ expansion and between us owning three cars which aren't compliant, I am looking to sell my S Class. One thing I have realised over the last year is that I'm often running my old Shogun Sport as a runabout which barely manages 30mpg on a run. So despite the S Class doing 40mpg, I could actually get by with something with a much more interesting engine.

Hence I'm on the prowl for a CL500 (2007-2010). They seem to be capable of 30mpg by all accounts but a prettier, equally comfy and quicker version of my S Class.

But here's the thing, I'm looking to spend £11-12k which puts me in the right place for either a low mileage early model or a slightly later one with the AMG styling etc. But I'm just a bit torn whether to be looking at a low miler or just base it on condition. Is there an advantage to the later models? Any revisions prior to the change to a smaller turbo engine?

Any advise always appreciated! :)

That's a really interesting question. I'd say go with condition first and foremost and whatever you go for needs to have evidence of a full service history, preferably with receipts to give as much detail as possible. You run an S Class already so you know that maintenance can be expensive.

Yeah running costs and maintenance can be costly and being based on the S or a shared platform, I'm expecting some pricey ones haha

I'm just in two minds as a dealer selling a 2010 plate with 90k for £12k. Private sales of a 2007 with 65k is around £10-11k, some are a lot less. I'm being fussy on spec too as I want the AMG styling and some nice designo options preferably haha

It'll all come down to a choice between what's on offer when you're looking. There aren't that many cars out there to choose from, especially if designo is in the mix. Personally, I'd prioritise two owner and full main dealer history.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with he facelift engine *4.6 and 430bhp" compared to 5.5 and 380bhp. For UK roads it just seemed a bit unnecessary and unresponsive. "Other opinions are available."

Tech is a bit slicker in the facelift, obviously, but is it relevant to you?

Why not just buy an S class that IS ULEZ compliant ? Diesel or Petrol.

If you buy a CL500 with the 5.5 engine beware early ones had an occasional timing gear issue that's costly to fix if it goes wrong. There's a list of affected engine numbers on the forum somewhere, can't find it now. Engines made after about 2008/9 are fine.

Oh, and yes, 30mpg on a run is possible (assuming the CL is similar to my S212): my last 2 years / 10k miles of mixed use have seen 26.8mpg on the trip computer and just a couple of % less in reality. The 4.7tt might be a touch better again, according to the few owners around the forum.

It'll all come down to a choice between what's on offer when you're looking. There aren't that many cars out there to choose from, especially if designo is in the mix. Personally, I'd prioritise two owner and full main dealer history.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with he facelift engine *4.6 and 430bhp" compared to 5.5 and 380bhp. For UK roads it just seemed a bit unnecessary and unresponsive. "Other opinions are available."

Tech is a bit slicker in the facelift, obviously, but is it relevant to you?

Why not just buy an S class that IS ULEZ compliant ? Diesel or Petrol.
There's very few CLs of that era for sale in general. Handful of CL600s which are frankly overkill for what I need but also price from £13k-£20k dependent on mileage. For 'daily' use, the 500 will be quick enough and with a few extra options ticked I'd be happy. I like the idea of a cream interior but grey seems to age better.

I'm not fussed on the second engine though, I mean more power is nice but 380bhp isn't exactly lacking. Keep in mind I still have my CLS63 so I'm not worried about mega power.

In terms of buying another S Class, I had thought that but I do think the CL is a prettier car and is perhaps a little more special. Which says a lot as the S is one of the nicest cars I've ever driven. I have never used the rear seats in the S and the CL offers the comfort with a slightly sportier feel/look. I thought if I'm changing cars, I've made my S the nicest it can be. I'd rather do that with a different model. :)

I'd go V8 now as firstly I don't have the cash for a new enough diesel S Class and also V8s are just nicer haha

If you buy a CL500 with the 5.5 engine beware early ones had an occasional timing gear issue that's costly to fix if it goes wrong. There's a list of affected engine numbers on the forum somewhere, can't find it now. Engines made after about 2008/9 are fine.

Oh, and yes, 30mpg on a run is possible (assuming the CL is similar to my S212): my last 2 years / 10k miles of mixed use have seen 26.8mpg on the trip computer and just a couple of % less in reality. The 4.7tt might be a touch better again, according to the few owners around the forum.
Yes I'd heard that about the timing gear issue which is why low mileage early models would have that pitfall. 2009 onwards are safer in that sense.

I managed 26mpg from the 6.2 V8 in my CLS so I'd hope 30mpg is doable on a run. Combined 26mpg is quite impressive. The bulk of my mileage each year is on the motorway and I'd likely do 4-5k a year in it.

You'll average 27mpg out of the 5.5 around Greater London and the 'Burbs unless you leave a lot of rubber behind when you brake and accelerate at the lights.

You'd get an extra 2 or 3mpg out of the 4.6 litre engine, but what's 10% on fuel in the grand plan of things? Don't know how many miles you'll do a year but I doubt it's big enough to scare you.

If you can, get a facelift model. I've had two pre facelift and a facelift and the later car is so much better.

You'll average 27mpg out of the 5.5 around Greater London and the 'Burbs unless you leave a lot of rubber behind when you brake and accelerate at the lights.

You'd get an extra 2 or 3mpg out of the 4.6 litre engine, but what's 10% on fuel in the grand plan of things? Don't know how many miles you'll do a year but I doubt it's big enough to scare you.
To be fair that's better than my diesel Shogun when cold, which I would guess does 22mpg or so and 30mpg on a 60mph run. If I get 30mpg from a petrol and a V8 then that'll do me nicely! haha

In this particular car around 5-6k max. I'm not overly concerned

If you can, get a facelift model. I've had two pre facelift and a facelift and the later car is so much better.
Is the facelift from 2011?

Looking at my budget (£12k) and the market, it's quite an interesting one for the CL as they're clearly rare cars. Also, you either get a lower mileage model but an early one with less options for maybe £9-10k. Then up to my budget you get a higher spec model (09/10) with say 85k+ on the clock.

Then if you up that, to say £15k you might find models with lower mileage but still seem to be high spec with ~90k on them. It's not until you up the budget beyond say £17k you get into the lower mileage models and all 4.7 V8s.

I've seen a silver CL500, AMG pack, some nice features and full service history for £12k with 93k on the clock. Grey in interior and dark wood looks nice too. They're willing to have the gearbox service prior to me buying too. Tempting.

Having owned a low mileage used car (50k miles 6 series) and my current CL (110k miles when I got her) I would be unconcerned by mileage.

Condition is far far more important. Notably, the 221 and 216 have a rust weakness that is generally very hidden, but I've noticed a number of vehicles (presumably those that have lived by the sea or in the North) suffer badly from, and that is the rear and front portion of the fuel tank that sit either side of the propshaft. (Specifically where the studs for the underfloor panelling are welded to the tank.)

I have seen low mileage examples suffering notably here, and higher mileage examples less so - it ultimately depends on where it has lived.

Ordinarily you would need to remove the underfloor panels and a heatshield to see it but it's possible to check by looking inwards from the front side of the rear tyres.

Here's one from a face-lift CL500 that had 64k on the clock.

Screenshot_20220609-175027_eBay.jpg

It's a very good point and actually a good example of a car that's low mileage and had issues is my cousins car. He stupidly bought a car on finance, hadn't passed his driving test and still hasn't. He's had the car 3-4 years and he's been paying PCP on it the entire time.

Well due to it sitting around, outside just on the driveway the turbo is now playing up. Despite only having £5k on the clock. Potentially looking at a new turbocharger on a car that's done less than half an average years driving.

Also the other thing I have to keep in mind is that my E320cdi which I sold for my S Class was bought with 104k on and sold with 144k miles and was faultless. I mean it had the odd bit of wear and tear but otherwise the best overall car I've owned.

It's just that mindset of spending £12k which I think is a bargain for a CL but nearly 100k on the clock. It's still an epic car for the money. I'm going to look at one tomorrow haha

Having driven a 2010 S Class with the 5.5 V8 and a 2013 CL500 with the 4.7 V8 TT, I much prefer the lower down torque curve of the latter. Power is similar between the two so it's down to preference really.

I also prefer the look of the facelift. I think the pre-facelift looks dated now.

Facelifts are "BlueEfficiency" and start on 60 plates IIRC although you could have a late-registered pre-facelift.

BlueEffiency isn't just a revised engine and gearbox (uses 7g+ instead of older 7g), it has other changes including aerodynamics etc. to improve fuel economy.

Probably doesn't make an enormous difference in the real world though.

I don't recall any notable changes from early to late pre-facelift but I'm sure there are revisions over time.

The 216 CL does use the 221 platform and drivetrain underneath. It's just a 2 door coupe body instead.

When it comes to mileage, I prefer something that has been used rather than something that has been sat outside someone's house for months on end.

These higher order Mercs prefer to be used.

From what I've seen in the past, the early models tend to have a decent spec with things like Night Vision although I personally feel that is a gimic. I think this is mainly because when the cars are released, those with crazy money just tick all the boxes and buy to "have the latest model".

I would get the latest plate you can afford with the spec that you need.

I think ABC is standard on the 500 so would be worth finding out if the fluid or filter has been changed at all. I was advised this is worth doing.

As always and as said, buy on condition and if you can buy one with a good history, so much the better. Just make sure everything works like you probably did with your S Class.

I think realistically I'm looking at the 5.5 V8 so non-facelift. I'm not too concerned, it doesn't have to be the higher powered model, 380bhp will do me nicely although less torque than my current S Class but 100bhp more.

Let's see what this one I'm off to see soon looks like. Appears to be in great condition, the previous owner went to town on getting little bits sorted here and there like new tool kits in the boot etc. Let's see.

Well the deal is done, I will have a CL500 hopefully on my driveway by Thurday! More details to follow :)
What’s happening to your S class buddy ?

What’s happening to your S class buddy ?
Will be putting it up for sale soon. It's showing, 'Brake Wear' on the dash which I suspect is the brake pads so I'm going to get them sorted next week so it's 100% for people to view. :)

Will be putting it up for sale soon. It's showing, 'Brake Wear' on the dash which I suspect is the brake pads so I'm going to get them sorted next week so it's 100% for people to view. :)
Yep , that’s just new brake pads . Cheap job :)

Yeah shouldn't be too pricey and then it'll be ready to go, was serviced and MOT'd in Feb, Took it for a spin this evening and it still puts a smile on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom