Older merc for running veg - what's best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davey_b

Just wanted to say hello (first post) and ask a little about maybe getting an older merc that can run on veg oil. I currently run a Mitsubishi L200 pickup on veg oil. I have a twin tank and run one 100% waste vegetable oil when the engine is warm. I have been doing this for the last year or so.

I am just thinking that I would quite like something that is a bit more comfortable and I know that some diesel mercs can be great on veg. I would like to run as high a percentage of veg (up to 100% if possible) without any modification and just wondered what my options are on this one. Not fussed about engine size as I have a fair bit of veg oil sitting about ready to get used. Really interested to hear folks thoughts on this.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
E300td

Hello,
I have have been running on oil for the last 5 month and it's fine. The car is great. I didn't know much about the oil and put an awful load of sh*t in it with a lot of animal fat wich result in many fuel filters and tank strainer clogged :eek:. All good now. I just filter it down to 1 micron, mix about 5% diesel, 5% unleaded and a wee bit of acetone 1% (OK, I know it's more the 100%). MOT tomorrow or in the next few days and we'll see the emissions :D
Check this forum, great people/ advice.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/

Thanks for that Oliver. I post on the veg forum you mentioned a lot so I'll ask over there. I was just wondering if there were any folks on here running mercs on veg and was wondering how they got on.

Cheers

Dave

I run a 1987 W124 250td on 95% veg and 5% diesel. No problems.

From what I've read I'd be extremely cautios using even the tiniest bit of acetone in your mix. It can strip more than just the viscosity.

I was thinking of running my W124 E300 multivalve on veg down here, is it ok without additives or do you recommend mixing with diesel, we don't have the cold problems, down to around 10degrees overnight minimum with the very occasional dip to 6, but to be honest it would have to be fresh oil as a lot of local restaurants use olive oil. I confess I don't know price per litre, off to supermarket today to check. Our diesel prices have been higher than unleaded since the summer price hikes but are down to around 94cents litre, so not as cheap as it was compared to UK given the weak pound.

i run my E300TD on veg oil. I use new veg oil.

Unfortunatly the price is still quite high and diesel is relatively low so not much in it. I've actually been putting in diesel for the last 2 weeks due to the price as i couldnt be bothered to go to Booker to buy the oil - i've sorted myself out now and it nwo has 30litres of veg in thismorning!!

You'll need to do the usual delivery valve seals and clear pipe o-rings, change the fuel filters and tank strainer. once you've done all that you'll be ready to run on 100% with no modifications. I ran 100% during the summer without issues. I'm adding a bit of diesel or petrol to the mix now its a bit colder but i'm currently experimenting with the percentages. 80% veg should be ok this time of year at around 3deg in the morning when you start it.

do a search for 'veg oil' - i've written the above before and in much more detail.

I'd only recommend doing it if you are handy with tools for the above work - otherwise the labour rates would not be economical. If you DIY then the cost of parts max is about £40 all in. There are how tos on this forum.

Last edited:
Hello SilverSaloon, where do you get the oil from? It is nearly as expensive as diesel now...
I have a heater on mine that's transfer the heat from the radiator on the oil to thin it as well, it work well. :)

I'm also another Vegie :D
Just on my first 3/4 tank of mixed with petrol and diesel.
Alot of people sat 10% petrol to veg. is OK on my car for the winter.
The engine is quieter as well.

Hello SilverSaloon, where do you get the oil from? It is nearly as expensive as diesel now...
I have a heater on mine that's transfer the heat from the radiator on the oil to thin it as well, it work well. :)

Hi Oliver,

I get mine from Booker. I either get the 1 litre bottles (15L boxes) that works out at 86p a litre. They have recently reduced their KTC 20L cubes to what works out as 79p per litre (but its soya based so its thicker).

i've not modified mine at all - mainly because i've been running 100% without any issues - never run it on veg in freezing temps though so i'll see how it goes.... may mod for next year if i need to.

I see you are in edinburgh - There is a Scottish meet happening in Stirling (see Events section). Would be good to see you and your car's veg set up :)

I'm also another Vegie :D
Just on my first 3/4 tank of mixed with petrol and diesel.
Alot of people sat 10% petrol to veg. is OK on my car for the winter.
The engine is quieter as well.

max you should go i believe is 30% petrol. I'm still experiementing with percentages since coming off 100% when the weather was warmer but i've been mainly mixing with diesel... but sometimes add about a fivers worth of petrol to a full tank.

max you should go i believe is 30% petrol. I'm still experiementing with percentages since coming off 100% when the weather was warmer but i've been mainly mixing with diesel... but sometimes add about a fivers worth of petrol to a full tank.

Thanks, can you recomend a cheap place for fuel filters?
My local motor factors is £12.

£12 at dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks, can you recomend a cheap place for fuel filters?
My local motor factors is £12.
I've heard the dealership could be cheaper, I've not tried them yet.

i used the genuine merc ones - about a tenner from memory. They are supposed to be better. Tell the dealer you are a member of the merc club and you should get 10% discount. The official merc club is £30 a year and well worth it and you get a magazine very month + discount on parts. You may get the discount anyway if you have a good dealer.

have you changed the fuel tank strainer - often overlooked but its the one that gets clogged the worst:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55663&highlight=fuel+strainer

Booker, I went there 2 days ago, you need a business to be able to get anything out of there :( ...
Dunno if I'll be making it to stirling, we'll see what the shedule is.
Indeed 30% is the max recommended as mixing. I found that just 5% does the antifreeze properly and 5% diesel both thin it OK.
Sorry Davey, we are a wee hijacking your post but there are 2 E300TD running well on diesel, that's a start :)
Here is a link to good price genuine filters on ebay, got few from this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290227219576&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Thanks Oliver you just save me £3.50 :D
I've just phoned them and the filter is cross compatable with my car.

Booker, I went there 2 days ago, you need a business to be able to get anything out of there :( ...
Dunno if I'll be making it to stirling, we'll see what the shedule is.
Indeed 30% is the max recommended as mixing. I found that just 5% does the antifreeze properly and 5% diesel both thin it OK.
Sorry Davey, we are a wee hijacking your post but there are 2 E300TD running well on diesel, that's a start :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290227219576&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

There are quite a few others here who run 124's and 210's on veg aswell. A search for "veg oil" reveals all :)

thats a good link for the filters - i have 2 spare still but i've added the seller as a favorite for reference. Can anyone confirm if the brand of filter is indeeed what merc uses?

No worries guys. To be honest I was having a chat with the wife last night about it and she made a fair point that we have little enough room outside the house with her car and my truck and another car wouldn't help out! We may well move in a bit and we'd like somewhere with a bit more space and some land so reckon that would be the time to get a merc.

Thanks again

Dave

No worries guys. To be honest I was having a chat with the wife last night about it and she made a fair point that we have little enough room outside the house with her car and my truck and another car wouldn't help out! We may well move in a bit and we'd like somewhere with a bit more space and some land so reckon that would be the time to get a merc.

Thanks again

Dave

replace her car with the merc ;) problem solved :D

That's good. The guy's nice as well and sell genuine parts. Get the total set from him once air/oil/fuel and I dunno how he does but even with the shipping cost it's a lot cheaper the the stealer :)

Are Mercs ok on veg up until they went to CDIs?, I currently have a Peugeot 406 1.9TD which I use to go to work and run on a high blend of veg, one of the best engines for it along with old Mercs so I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom