Older Mercs (W203 or W211)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsy852

Car
BMW 328i E36
Hi everyone. I've recently joined mainly to try get some information/what to look for as I may be in the market for a Merc in the coming weeks should I get the payrise I'm hoping for. I currently drive a 17yr old Renault Clio which has been in the family since new. It still runs like new, but the bodywork and trim is falling apart around it, and my bosses have hinted that they'd consider a pay rise to help me put towards getting a newer/smarter vehicle.

I'm not into financing cars and so I don't want anything new. Also I don't mind working a on car myself (I have an old BMW 3 series that I do up as a hobby). So I'm looking at something a bit older which hopefully doesn't need much doing to it (initially at least), will be reliable (as I do around 16,000miles a year) and that I can service/repair easily enough myself.

Due to the mileage I'm also keen to go diesel rather than petrol.

I also will need something bigger this year as I have a few group trips planned, so I'm keen to get an estate.

I've noticed I can pick up C-class W203 or E-class W211 Mercs with 80,000-150,000 miles on the clock within my price range of £3-£3.5k.
I've read that facelift models tend to be more reliable which is helpful.

I've no experience with Mercs though, and so although I'm confident in buying most cars and what to look for, I find the more I know about common things to look for the easier it is. So a few questions:

1. Are these cars reliable when they come to higher miles? My other alternative is a Volvo which most seem good for 200,000miles+

2. Are these cars easy to work on? I don't mind replacing suspension components etc. Taking an engine out is a bit beyond me though lol

3. Timing belts. I presume they are belts not chains? When should the diesel engines have had them done?

4. I've only really had experience of manual cars except for a 1 week stint in an auto. Is it possible to test a clutch/gearbox of an auto in any way?
Is there anything I should look for when it comes to looking at a Merc with an Automatic gearbox

5. Anything else specificly I should be worried about/looking for when buying either of these models of this age?

Sorry for the long post. Look forward to getting some feedback though

Thanks,
Rob

2. For reliable fault diagnostic you will need Star Diagnose System (MB). Any car of this age has plenty of sensors and electric and unfortunately it is more time and many saving to diagnose it properly at first place.

3. All W203/W211 have chains. Diesels are pretty reliable, petrol engine M271 has single row chain which will stretch. High mileage OM642 diesels may have some stretching too, but usually not need to be afraid major damage.

4. Transmission fluids should have be changed less than 100 000km interval. If box change smooth without jerking, no rev fluctuation at constant speed, you cannot say much.

A diesel Merc of ~100k miles is just about run-in! :)

All MB's have timing chains, not belts.

Auto boxes should change smoothly up and down, with no hesitation when going from P to D or R

Rust is always a check point on cars from that age.

Suspension is fairly straight forward to work on but bare in mind the springs are prone to snapping and you'll need a special compressor to dismantle the fronts.

Suspension is fairly straight forward to work on but bare in mind the springs are prone to snapping and you'll need a special compressor to dismantle the fronts.

Thanks for the replies.

Broken spring I can deal with! When you say a "special compressor" though I presume you just mean the usual spring compressors?

Clutches/timing chains/belts/Headgaskets/gearboxes are all things I'm trying to avoid having to work on.

Thanks for the replies.

Broken spring I can deal with! When you say a "special compressor" though I presume you just mean the usual spring compressors?

Clutches/timing chains/belts/Headgaskets/gearboxes are all things I'm trying to avoid having to work on.

MB's require a much beefier spring compressor than the normal offering

DSCN3010.jpg

hmm... just add couple of joint/pivot/beam and you can wiggle it in place ? :D

W/S203 look for something at least post 2003, preferably post 2004 - early ones are prone to rust (cheap steel, no galvanising), post mid 2003 is galvanised, post mid 2004 nano paint.

Diesel - C270Cdi was rated the best engine in the range when the model was first road tested by the media (so I bought one - 45mpg and decent grunt when wanted).

Another major bugbear on the early ones was the Valeo radiator with the transmission cooler inside it - which leaked so antifreeze got into the transmission fluid and knackered box and torque convertor! Post 2004 you'll be clear of that problem.

Check engine gets up to 80+C pretty quickly - if it stays resolutely below that the thermostat is knackered, not a big job to DIY change and a good "how to" on here (under C220, but 270 is the same).

Check kickdown works and engine will rev over 3k RPM - if not, probably MAF knackered - don't know cost as mine was done under warranty.

Check for clunks from the front suspension. Centre ARB bushing is now bonded so have to buy full ARB not just the bush. Also rose joints in the steering linkage are prone to wear.

Stay away from wheels bigger than 17" for comfortable ride. My 203 was on original 16's, as was my 204 when I bought it - but I've changed to 17's and they're better.

Avantgard spec appears lovely at first look, but there are, to me, too many electrical toys to go wrong and cost money. I bought Elegance trim. Classic trim is, to me, too basic.

Are you in a part of the world that gets white stuff? An S203 on summer tyres in snow is a chocolate fireguard, you'll need either all season tyres or a separate set of winter rims/tyres. 16's are often seen cheap on Ebay, MB themselves do a winter rims/tyres offer every September/October, I paid £800 for mine from MB about 7 years ago. Be aware though, that winter tyres become useless in snow at about 4mm tread depth, you'll see sets on Ebay with 4-5mm of tread - they're cheap as if you get snow you quickly need to replace the tyres!!

Guess how I know all of these!!

Have't read all of the information about what you looking for but I will be selling my 2002 C Class Sport Coupe Auto 2.0 (Red, High spec, Panoramic sunroof etc), 49,000 miles, over the next few weeks so if you are interested let me know!

Have't read all of the information about what you looking for but I will be selling my 2002 C Class Sport Coupe Auto 2.0 (Red, High spec, Panoramic sunroof etc), 49,000 miles, over the next few weeks so if you are interested let me know!

Thanks, really after an estate though.

W/S203 look for something at least post 2003, preferably post 2004 - early ones are prone to rust (cheap steel, no galvanising), post mid 2003 is galvanised, post mid 2004 nano paint......

Great advice this whole post!!! This is the sort of stuff it's good to know before I go looking!

Luckily I don't get much snow, and if I do I'll just stay home and work from there so it'll be on all weather tyres all year round for me lol

Thanks though Chris! If anyone has anything else it's all great info for me! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom