Older or newer R230

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by mac1997, Jul 12, 2019.

1. mac1997

mac1997 New Member

Car:
    R230 SL 500
    Im looking to buy a facelift R230. Would I be better to buy a 2009 with 60k on the clock or a 2007 with 40k on the clock?
    Thanks

2. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Get the 2009, the 07's had issues with the balance shaft and timing gears on the earliest cars

3. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Unless the OP is looking for a 500 like he has put in his detail above. That has the M113 which isn't affected by either of the issues you mention.

But I'd agree, get the later car provided the car checks out after a thorough inspection. The R230 is one model in particular I would want looking at by a Mercedes indy.

4. OP
    OP
    mac1997

mac1997 New Member

Car:
    R230 SL 500
    Thanks AMGeed. Problem i have is that the garage selling it is boy a Merc Indy and a local Merc main dealer is telling me that they can only check why error lights are being displayed on the dash.

An additional question is what maintenance works should have been carried out up to 60K so I can check that the work has happened/

Thanks

5. OP
    OP
    mac1997

mac1997 New Member

Car:
    R230 SL 500
    AMGeed, is there anything in particular that I need to look out for? Thanks

6. flowrider99

flowrider99 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500 / Audi S5 Sportback
    There are a number of threads on this forum and the other one detailing what to look out for but to summarise.......

Boot leaks
    Cabin leaks
    Blocked water drains
    ABC suspension leaks
    Rear wheel arch rust

7. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    You really need an SL owner to advise. Its a complicated car compared to a lot of other models. The engine in 500 and 55 guise is a peach and seldom problematic.
    With an SL, be wary of ABC suspension problems, roof and boot leaks.
    I would say check everything electrical works. heated/cooled/dynamic seats, electric mirrors and windows. Can be costly to put right. Check the car sits level all round and most importantly, check the service history.
    It should have been serviced every 12 -18 months or 11k miles. All 16 plugs should be changed at 4yr or 50k miles, whichever is soonest. The ATF needs changing at 37k mile intervals. Allow £200 for an ATF change and around the same for a plug change.
    I'm sure there is more. Hope its a good one:thumb:

8. oldguy57

oldguy57 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Now various and sundry
    Obviously also check that the roof works.

9. OP
    OP
    mac1997

mac1997 New Member

Car:
    R230 SL 500
    Thanks guys for taking the time to inform me of what to look for

10. lordlee

lordlee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A207 E350 CDI Brabus D6
    Go for a post 2006 model as they had rectified many of the original cars faults. The ABC was improved as were the roof seals etc. The revised car's ABC (Active Body Control) was improved to reduce body movements in dynamic driving by up to 60%, standard on all models except the SL 350. The new engines were mated to a new 7-speed 7G-Tronic automatic, with a Sport option to allow shifting to be performed up to 30% faster in manual "M" mode, and with added steering-wheel shift paddles.
    Exterior styling changes include a new bumper with three large cooling air intakes and a more pronounced V-shape as well as fog lamps with chrome surrounds, new light-alloy wheels, new rear light. Interior changes include softer leather upholstery, new interior colours, high-quality metal door sills with Mercedes-Benz lettering and embossed aluminium trim elements, removable luggage cover, optional remote boot-lid release. The roof opening mechanism was also revised, reducing the opening time from 20-seconds to 16-seconds. The car also had the revised M273 5.5 which is a cracker of an engine but do double check this link You are being redirected... for idler gear wear possibilities - this is purely an FYI and is a rare occurrence on this engine.
    Otherwise check for the 60k auto gearbox service on the 7g box and factor the cost of this in if no proof can be given that its been changed. Watertight service history and a check of the cars MOT history https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ always helps you decide whether the car has been looked after properly.

11. MikeInWimbledon

MikeInWimbledon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E350 (previously S500, E500, SL350, SL500, S500, E55)
    (Flexes fingers) Well chaps, it's like this....

Facelift 2006 onwards R230's do NOT have balance shaft and timing gear issues. They're a rare feature of some, but not all, of the V6 3.7 litre R230.

I see no difference between a 2009 and 2007 car with similar mileage, only a 25% (ish) different in purchase price.

I won't duplicate the comments above about the minor risks on an SL500. Those other threads summarise the points quickly. Use the search box in the top right corner of this screen and you'll find them quickly.