Older or newer R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac1997

Car
R230 SL 500
Im looking to buy a facelift R230. Would I be better to buy a 2009 with 60k on the clock or a 2007 with 40k on the clock?
Thanks

Get the 2009, the 07's had issues with the balance shaft and timing gears on the earliest cars

Get the 2009, the 07's had issues with the balance shaft and timing gears on the earliest cars

Unless the OP is looking for a 500 like he has put in his detail above. That has the M113 which isn't affected by either of the issues you mention.

But I'd agree, get the later car provided the car checks out after a thorough inspection. The R230 is one model in particular I would want looking at by a Mercedes indy.

Thanks AMGeed. Problem i have is that the garage selling it is boy a Merc Indy and a local Merc main dealer is telling me that they can only check why error lights are being displayed on the dash.

An additional question is what maintenance works should have been carried out up to 60K so I can check that the work has happened/

Thanks

AMGeed, is there anything in particular that I need to look out for? Thanks

There are a number of threads on this forum and the other one detailing what to look out for but to summarise.......

Boot leaks
Cabin leaks
Blocked water drains
ABC suspension leaks
Rear wheel arch rust

You really need an SL owner to advise. Its a complicated car compared to a lot of other models. The engine in 500 and 55 guise is a peach and seldom problematic.
With an SL, be wary of ABC suspension problems, roof and boot leaks.
I would say check everything electrical works. heated/cooled/dynamic seats, electric mirrors and windows. Can be costly to put right. Check the car sits level all round and most importantly, check the service history.
It should have been serviced every 12 -18 months or 11k miles. All 16 plugs should be changed at 4yr or 50k miles, whichever is soonest. The ATF needs changing at 37k mile intervals. Allow £200 for an ATF change and around the same for a plug change.
I'm sure there is more. Hope its a good one:thumb:

Obviously also check that the roof works.

Go for a post 2006 model as they had rectified many of the original cars faults. The ABC was improved as were the roof seals etc. The revised car's ABC (Active Body Control) was improved to reduce body movements in dynamic driving by up to 60%, standard on all models except the SL 350. The new engines were mated to a new 7-speed 7G-Tronic automatic, with a Sport option to allow shifting to be performed up to 30% faster in manual "M" mode, and with added steering-wheel shift paddles.
Exterior styling changes include a new bumper with three large cooling air intakes and a more pronounced V-shape as well as fog lamps with chrome surrounds, new light-alloy wheels, new rear light. Interior changes include softer leather upholstery, new interior colours, high-quality metal door sills with Mercedes-Benz lettering and embossed aluminium trim elements, removable luggage cover, optional remote boot-lid release. The roof opening mechanism was also revised, reducing the opening time from 20-seconds to 16-seconds. The car also had the revised M273 5.5 which is a cracker of an engine but do double check this link You are being redirected... for idler gear wear possibilities - this is purely an FYI and is a rare occurrence on this engine.
Otherwise check for the 60k auto gearbox service on the 7g box and factor the cost of this in if no proof can be given that its been changed. Watertight service history and a check of the cars MOT history https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ always helps you decide whether the car has been looked after properly.

(Flexes fingers) Well chaps, it's like this....

Facelift 2006 onwards R230's do NOT have balance shaft and timing gear issues. They're a rare feature of some, but not all, of the V6 3.7 litre R230.

I see no difference between a 2009 and 2007 car with similar mileage, only a 25% (ish) different in purchase price.

I won't duplicate the comments above about the minor risks on an SL500. Those other threads summarise the points quickly. Use the search box in the top right corner of this screen and you'll find them quickly.

I personally own a 2007 sl 350 and have had the balancer shaft repair, timing chain done and well as other things while the engine was out which did cost £4.5k (130k miles). The gear box has been fine and just gets oil changed per 30 k miles as changing oil does no harm is had a conductor plate change due to a fault but but that was just my luck at the time. i dont have abc so i avoid the maintenance on that but i ive just replaced my front suspension setup due to wear and tear for £2k (133k miles) and i was fortunate to run a MB tier 1 warranty for the first 4 years of ownership when purchased in 2012. The newer 2009 has a better entertainment system where you can update maps on card instead of discs like the 2007, airscarf is a lot nice comfort and the engines would most probably have been improved for efficiency other than that the look of the 2007 is a more desired over the 2009 but that's a personal preference. i don't think either are a bad choice just have a warranty to help the way .

(Flexes fingers) Well chaps, it's like this....

Facelift 2006 onwards R230's do NOT have balance shaft and timing gear issues. They're a rare feature of some, but not all, of the V6 3.7 litre R230.

I see no difference between a 2009 and 2007 car with similar mileage, only a 25% (ish) different in purchase price.

I won't duplicate the comments above about the minor risks on an SL500. Those other threads summarise the points quickly. Use the search box in the top right corner of this screen and you'll find them quickly.

Mike,
I believe you've transposed where the balancer shaft issues are. They are with a certain number of 3.5 engines i.e. the post 2006 facelift. The 3.7 engine is bombproof. That's why I bought one.

I’d go for the newer one. I have a 2009 SL63. As others have said these were expensive cars new so repairs and maintenance are not cheap. Parts are expensive so in essence you need to make sure everything is working and if not factor that into the price. There’s a lot on this firm about specific things like ABC which is expensive if faulty but to be honest you shouldn’t be focusing on one particular thing. In my experience the control modules are a) expensive b) easy for someone to hide ie clear the fault code. I would get it inspected if you don’t know the previous owner. All the usual caveats apply. Make sure it has been regularly and properly serviced. Check the front for damage. The nose is low and sticks out so easy to damage. Make sure everything works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom