Oldest battery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
It occurred to me today that our Vito is still on its original factory battery (after 15 years and 140k miles) - it's never been touched. Who else is using a 'golden oldie' battery? :D

The one in my SL is 18 years old now, but that's permanently hooked up to a maintenance charger (due to the very low annual mileage) so doesn't count!

56 plate A169.....only about 70k miles....but original battery...my wife's car....only ever does short journeys too!

10 years from new in the E350, replaced only last week. It just started to underperform

The wife's 03 x type had to be replaced last November, original jag battery with 116k on the car. Never let us down on starting till then.

You know what's coming tomorrow, Flat battery:wallbash:

Had to replace the battery on my boat last summer . It had lasted for 16 years, and is only used to start the small diesel 'donk' that gets us in and out of the mooring.

2010 E350Cdi coupe 73k miles, used regularly, I replaced the original battery a few moths ago as a precaution(over 11years ) ... put it in the shed fully charged... tested it a few months later less than 5v... so flat as a... Dover Sole...

Making a battery last is all very well and I always do up to a point but you have to look at the economics as well. I replaced my battery at 12+ years old a few months back even though it seemed fine. The economics were simple

Is it likely that the original battery will last as long as my future ownership of the car - almost certainly no

Will a replacement battery get more expensive in the future - almost certainly yes and even more so if it becomes an emergency purchase.

In which case it's going to be money in the bank to replace the battery now rather than wait until the original one leaves me stranded.

For what it's worth I've pushed the battery life envelope once before to over 12 years and the battery was working fine, then failed completely overnight leaving me in a fix.

Batteries have changed....... was young you would get loads of warning of battery failure.....a few slow starts, a couple of bump starts. This would happen over weeks or months. Nowadays they are spinning the motor over like a top one day.......brown bread the next!!

Our W209 from September 2003 is still on the original battery. Who knows how long it will last so carry a booster pack just in case.

It occurred to me today that our Vito is still on its original factory battery (after 15 years and 140k miles) - it's never been touched. Who else is using a 'golden oldie' battery? :D

The one in my SL is 18 years old now, but that's permanently hooked up to a maintenance charger (due to the very low annual mileage) so doesn't count!
Family member has a 2007 c class on 137k with original battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom