Olly & Howard Engine Mount and transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
I have a problem with my CLK500. The auto gear box has just started to go into Limp Home mode but not all the time. I have been aware of a "ticking" noise from the area of the engine now for some while and have suspected that the engine mounts might be on the way out.

I have fund and old thread where Olly found a similar problem with Howard's car. How common is this problem. I have a 2004 car with about 80,000 on it.

Not sure if they'd be shot at 80k , mine were at 150k when they went.

Worth giving Olly a buzz though to discuss.

Not sure if they'd be shot at 80k , mine were at 150k when they went.

Worth giving Olly a buzz though to discuss.

Thanks for reply....now suspect that the gearbox problem is unlikely to be related to engine mounts. However, car is going into a local MB independent to get gearbox problem sorted and I will ask him to look at the condition engine mounts then.

I would change them at 80k.....it was quite easy on my straight 6 cdi (may be a bit harder on a V8). Mine at 80K had a split in one and the other had sagged a fair bit.

I think the high torque engines put a lot of strain on them.

Adam

Mine were shot at 73K.

There is a "ticking" noise from the engine that seems to go away in warm weather and get worse in cold weather that I think is a result of failing engine mounts having done some research (see attached service Bulletin)

Attachments

• CLK500 engine mounts.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 17
What is "reset the flywheel adaptation"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom