Olympic torch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree ,but the sheer extravagance ..the torches alone cost£4 million!!

But hey, they're now worth £150,000 each...

(Did you miss Palfrem's subtle amendment to the quote he posted?)

Will we ever know the true cost ? It will no doubt be hiden by clever acccounting

Have to admit i have no time for the games or the people behind it.

Inept a volunteer on the train last week. I was expressing my disquiet at the disruption of business. Her response was the party line. Business has plenty of time to prepare and should just go on holiday for the duration. Keeps the wolf from the door I think not!

My own view is that they should have put the games on in the Deane valley where no one would have noticed. They could even had their own airport....

Everything involved with the Olympics has been over budget by huge margins, just read recently the security cost is going to considerably more than first anticipated...

i work at Heathrow Airport and they'vs spent £8million on just a temporary terminal that is going to be used for just 3 days to get all the athletes and dignitaries and VIP's out of Heathrow at the end.....

Yes revenue will be up and I expect it will contribute the the UK economy for the duration of the games..... and thus likely to off set the cost somewhat, but to actually make money/profit is never going to happen imo, its costing far too much in the first place...

Seb Coe keeps banging on about the games bringing the attention of the world to London and presenting us with the oppurtunity to show the world how well we do things, but the Queens Jubilee and even the Royal wedding last year showcased all this for a fraction of the cost , and thats enough for me in these tough times...

I didn't watch the torch because I was too busy selling food to the 55,000 people that turned up here to watch it. ;)

I work for adidas, and as we're a Tier 1 sponsor we're having a big party when the torch visits our Head Office. We've also got employees running with the torch and adidas have bought the torch for each employee running with it.

On a side note - have you seen how much these torches are going for on fleabay?

Last edited:
Everything involved with the Olympics has been over budget by huge margins, just read recently the security cost is going to considerably more than first anticipated...

In the real world heads would have rolled for such abysmal cost projections.

But in the money-no-object-because-the-taxpayer-is-footing-the-bill world of the London Olympics no one is responsible and we're told that everything is wonderful whilst further billions are squandered to keep the bandwagon rolling.

As someone into sport in general, I have quite enjoyed the Olympics over the years.

But when it's on your doorstep and it's us footing the bill, it does leave a bitter taste.

The statement 'go on holiday while the games are on' just shows how far out of touch the whole lot of them are.

Not to mention the athletes tower block that's already been sold at a loss.

When i see Seb Coe on TV ( Lord Coe :rolleyes: ) , i just want to punch his lights out ..... does that make me a bad person ?

When i see Seb Coe on TV ( Lord Coe :rolleyes: ) , i just want to punch his lights out ..... does that make me a bad person ?

Definitely not...

He'll probably outrun me though as i am a big fatty and he probably still has a fair turn of speed.

No, it makes you a part of the majority that would also like to show their gratitude. :thumb:

When i see Seb Coe on TV ( Lord Coe :rolleyes: ) , i just want to punch his lights out.

Rest assured, if someone does punch his lights out, the Organising Committee have a set of back up lights ready at all times.

My problem with the Olympics is that the sport has become almost incidental.

This carrying a torch is an an example - a fleet of 15 vehicles and some 100 people driving the torch - or 8000 torches - round the country.

To allow a photo opportunity for someone to get out a van, run a couple of hundred metres and get back in the van to drive to teh next shoot.

Does it really have to be so extravagant?

London 2012 Olympic Torch 24 Hour Auction | eBay

You are bidding on a photo of an authentic London 2012 Olympic Torch used in the torch relay from Lands End. The torch is made up of an inner and an outer alluminium alloy skin, held in place by a cast top piece and base, perforated by 8000 circles and stands 800mm high.

highest bid is £1750 - one very disappointed winner awaits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom