Are you interested in the Olympics??

• Very interested.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Slightly interested.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • Couldn't care less.

Votes: 86 48.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And wonder why every child in the country hasn't been "inspired to take up sport".......

......that's right Scott, even I am inspired to do something along the sport lines.

Very much enjoyed the Archery, and a bunch of other sports especially the K1 200, the F1 of the rowing world; tiny wee boats!!

Like a few of you here I was Mr Apathetic about the whole thing but I've found myself drawn into it.

I was always enthusiastic about the fact that we were hosting the Olympics, but not being particularly interested in sport, I didn't expect to watch much beyond the opening and closing ceremonies. However, I've found myself taking an interest in quite a few of the events, particularly the swimming and cycling (possibly as these are two Olympic activities I enjoy doing myself, though not competitively), but also rowing, diving and triathlon, amongst others.

It's great to hear how so many others who were initially apathetic or sceptical are now enjoying the Games, or have just been caught up in the excitement of it all. It was either that or just grumble for 4-6 weeks...

My local bike shop has £5k bikes in stock, no fixies, though.

The owner is really accommodating, you want to try a bike...go on, have a ride to decide. :thumb:

...any colour you like...so long as it's yellow.

They are all colours, Silver, yellow, black, white, blue, green.

MINI, MINI Clubman, 1-series, 3's, 5's, 5-estates.

I've watched every Olympics since Seoul '88 and I can just remember the hoo-ha around Ben Johnson. I watch almost any sport, given the chance.

I initially thought that London being awarded the games couldn't have come at a worse time what with all of the budget cuts etc that is happening right now.

After the first day of the Olympics, I've been hooked (as I suspected I would be) and I can justify the cost because of how much the bank bailouts/politicians blah blah blah cost so at least we are getting enjoyment out of our taxes.

I am also very proud of ALL of our competitors, it goes to show that we are a competitive nation and we can take on and beat the worlds best when we put our minds to it.

And if Yorkshire was officially classed as its own country (which some of us do) we'd be 12th on the medals table!

And if Yorkshire was officially classed as its own country (which some of us do) we'd be 12th on the medals table!

Yorkshire is its own country, apparently God's very own country.

It even has its own accent :D

I have to say it realy creates a feel good factor.

At the park, people are happy and even friendly if you bump into one another. Queues for the train stations in the evening after the stadium events are good natured. People on the tube talk to each other asking what events they are off to see. Londoners talk to tourists.

We are getting more American by the day!

S

I'd also like to pay tribute to LOCOG their sterling work in organising and delivering the Games. Despite the readiness of many to believe that they couldn't organise a piss-up in brewery, they appear to have delivered a supremely well planned event. It's not just the Games themselves, but all the supporting activities.

I haven't ventured in the direction of Stratford, but all around Westminster it's clear that a great deal of effort has gone into making things as easy as possible for people visiting the Games, and London in general. Lots of well-coordinated temporary signage, strategically-placed stalls to help out the lost and bewildered with maps and advice; and a veritable swarm of good-natured, magenta-tabarded volunteers everywhere you look: outside Tube stations; en route and close to the venues; and in Trafalgar Square. They were even working as crossing guards on Park Lane this week, to assist with crowd control. Hats off to them for helping to ensure that the millions of visitors to London have had a pleasant experience.

Also very much in evidence are the troops drafted in to assist with security, with their colourful London 2012 cloth badges sewn on to their sleeves in boy scout fashion. They seem to be making the most of this unforeseen task, and entering into the spirit of things for the enjoyment of the crowds, as are the police who are also playing a crucial role.

Everywhere I go there seems to be a great feeling of bustle and excitement. This week's balmy evenings have seen The Green Park teeming with people enjoying picnics while soaking up the rays, and while once I might have railed against the sizable London 2012 merchandise building that has sprung up a stone's throw from Spencer House, I have come to see it as a nothing more than a necessary evil - they seemed to be doing a roaring trade in Olympic-themed everything, from mascots and T-Shirts to umbrellas and inflatable chairs.

To cap it all, the normally sanguine Evening Standard this evening started its front page article with the following words:

The London Olympics were today hailed as the "golden Games". Nations across the globe united in praise for one of the most successful Olympics in history - and Games chief Jacques Rogge called the city the "beating heart of the world."

London 2012 is on course to break attendance records, with seven million spectators at events so far and a record global TV audience.

Hosting the Olympics has also changed attitudes about Britain, with visitors paying tribute to our food and public transport.

Oh, and then there's the closing ceremony on Sunday, which is tipped to outdo the spectacular opening ceremony by some measure. :cool:

Last edited:
I have to agree here Mocas. From what I have seen from my daily encounter the organisation has been very good, the event has certainly been widely accepted and apart from displaying the South Korean flag, I can't think of a single muck up, in either event or organisation.
The way the games have been presented and the TV coverage have been excellent.

I'm not a sports fan at all, but the last week has seen me watching some of the events on TV and I would love to have gone to the Velodrome, apparently the atmosphere was electric.

Hosting the Olympics has also changed attitudes about Britain, with visitors paying tribute to our food an public transport

Food? I paid £5.90 in tstaples for the worst frankfurter I have ever eaten (and I have eaten some bad ones) at the weekend. My wife had a £4.90 baked potato with cheese which was equally as bad.

Luckily I smuggled a few Tracker bars into the park which saw me through the evening.

Still I have been ripped off in many European cities, in fact in many car dealers too.

Rule Britannia!

PS The BBC coverage has been great - we should adopt Michael Johnson & Boris Becker*.

* I know he only commentates on Wimbledon but even so.

PPS Even DM & I are agreeing on a thread - feel the love people!

Last edited:
Brittania is not only cool, it rocks!

I'm not a sports fan at all, but the last week has seen me watching some of the events on TV and I would love to have gone to the Velodrome, apparently the atmosphere was electric.

I'm aiming to get as many tickets as I can for the 2014 Commonwealth Games track cycling events at the Sir Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow.

Can't wait !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom