Olympics ! ! Pah ! !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had to laugh yesterday when I read in the paper about the ECB (English Cricket Board) moaning at the BBC for not bidding for screening cricket whilst paying £millions for F1 next year.

Their arguement was that far more people 'play cricket' in the UK than 'play F1', therefore the BBC shold have spent the money on them rather than Bernie & Co.

They just don't get it, do they? Cricket is dull, dull, dull. (and F1 is just dull :p ). Only joking!

Has the coverage actually started already?

(I'm on holiday abroad at the moment and although there are TV's dotted around, I've yet to see anything about the olympics)

I don't see the point in watching who can jump highest or run fastest... its the kind of thing best left to primary school aged children.

Has the coverage actually started already?

(I'm on holiday abroad at the moment and although there are TV's dotted around, I've yet to see anything about the olympics)

I don't see the point in watching who can jump highest or run fastest... its the kind of thing best left to primary school aged children.

Started today, womens football, I think. Official opening Friday. I've not watched TV, so no idea if its on.

:rolleyes::D;)

:eek: Sadly I'm in the corner that believes that most, if not all the top athletes now take performance enhancing drugs and I include both swimmers and cyclists in this statement.

Race horses which are selectively bred for generation after generation, and just bred to race; are only fed the best of food, are exercised daily throughout their racing career and do they break records on a yearly basis?

With athletes they cheat, take steroids, get muscles on parts of the body that should never have muscles :devil: and then try to pretend they are totally against drugs, abhor the use of drugs and condemn anyone that takes them.......... then they get caught :devil: :)

The World's best athletes are usually millionaire's but when they learn their trade, the state funds their career. Should these millionaires repay this funding? (thinking about student loans)

If these sports were 'clean' then I would be glued to the TV, but sorry, I'm not convinced these competitors will be so called 'drug free' and I cannot clap when World records get broken.

I salute what the British Federation has done with our top sprinter but sadly he is just the very tip of a huge ice-berg and most of this ice-berg is concealed underwater (out of sight).

John

john,

i'm sorry but this is just not backed up by the facts, its always a small number of people who try to cheat - unless its institutional, national cheating which it seems only the Russians are up to now. i take issue with you that most athletes take drugs, you are entitled to your opinion and i enjoy reading them ... most of the time but this was just lazy writing.

if most of the competitors are cheating then how come only a few get caught? if its a big conspiracy how come no one blows the whistle??

Rant over...sorry just sore cos i'm in china right now to see the Games... and blogging shock horror!

free tibet....i'm just doing that as a test:D

Am I the only soul walking the face of the earth who couldn't give a flying fig as far as the Olympics are concerned?.

Couldn't agree more.

My wife went to the Syndey Olympics a few years back - said it was dull as ditch water - glorified school sports day.

Even worse I went to Athens just after the last Olympics and took a tour of all the abandoned Olympics buildings.....just a wasteland. Fingers crossed we don't end up with that as a legacy and instead we'll end up with what Barcelona ended up with - a fabulous rebuilt dockside.

free tibet....i'm just doing that as a test
biggrin.gif

Biscuit, Biscuit...........

are you still there or have they got to you already?

Ade

here ... no camouflaged bods throwing me in a jail yet....:rock:

just logging on and off to do other stuff.

Couldn't agree more.

My wife went to the Syndey Olympics a few years back - said it was dull as ditch water - glorified school sports day.

man she has a high bar for not being bored then. trust the world cup would be a glorified five a side etc etc.

what events did she see?

just so i avoid those ones you understand

Last edited:
Jeez what a bunch of cynics - I'm surprised someone hasn't brought up the old chestnut about going to the moon being a waste of money!

A waste of money? Maybe, only time will tell. Should the UK do it, certainly, it is a world showpiece. And if you want to boycott the 2008 games because of China, great we'll show them how to do it properly next time.

I get people not liking a sport or Olympic sports in general, I just don't understand some of the hostility.

I have fond memories of many events starting with Seb Coe retaining the 1500m, screaming at the TV when Redgrave won his final gold and being amazed that Kelly could do the 800/1500m double.

Some people would consider large thirsty luxury cars a waste of money - it's a matter of perspective, otherwise we would all be in Ford Fiestas.

Mike

P.S. Olympics available on Eurosport and BBC High Def

Last edited:
I dont think anyone here has been "hostile" as far as the Olympics are concerned. I wouldnt say the opinion of it being a waste of money would qualify.
I can honestly say that the last sporting event I watched which I could put my hand on my heart and say I enjoyed was back in 1966.

Well said Ade B and the others. You have to stand up against the narrowing attitudes.
While I am not a great fan of the Games I agree that it is, on the whole, an uplifting and liberating event.
Yes, the naysayers will trot out all the usual arguments that, if followed would make Britain into a very, very dull country; no art unless it is chocolate box pictures or Bruce Willis films. The media led cry that all sport is drug driven is nonsense but it impresses many and becomes the accepted belief.

john,

i'm sorry but this is just not backed up by the facts, its always a small number of people who try to cheat - unless its institutional, national cheating which it seems only the Russians are up to now. i take issue with you that most athletes take drugs, you are entitled to your opinion and i enjoy reading them ... most of the time but this was just lazy writing.
Hi Biscuit,
Nice to see we can have differing opinions without getting personal.

Just take my horse racing analogue and think how these animals are bred soely for racing, the diets they have are designed solely to improve their performannce. The are trained from when they can walk, all the way through their working lives but the drug testing regime is ruthless.

Yes I am cynical because far too often ahletes are unavailable for tests, flout the notification rules and then talk their way out of positive tests. Until DNA sampling is carried out on all competing athletes then I'm sorry but we will have to agree to diasgree.

Although athletes have said EPO is in widespread use, few have tested positive. Most of the athletes who have been linked to doping in recent years have been caught not through drug testing, but rather through criminal investigations. In the August 2006 issue of the journal Blood, the American lab accredited to conduct EPO testing reported only 9 positive tests out of 2,600 urine samples.

I believe a huge problem with EPO is its actual detection and if a guilty athlete is gaining a 16% advantage then it is pushing the realms of reasonable thinking that anyone could ever compete against these cheats.

The researchers were primarily interested in learning whether the young men's athletic performance improved -- it did, and markedly so. At maximum effort, the men's performances improved by 9 to 16 percent. But at a slightly lower level of exertion, performance improved by 50 percent, Lundby said. Athletes taking EPO can go 50 percent longer at that somewhat lower level of effort, which can make a major difference in an endurance event like the Tour de France or a marathon, Lundby said.

Why cant those that like sport accept the fact that there are those that dont?
After all, I acknowledge that there are many who do.
It is all only opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom