Olympics ! ! Pah ! !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why cant those that like sport accept the fact that there are those that dont?
After all, I acknowledge that there are many who do.
It is all only opinion.
Hi Dave,
I'm a sports fanatic so don't think I'm shouting just for the sake of knocking this event. I just feel so sorry for those athletes that try to compete against these cheats.

Regards
John

To me its just an expensive overhyped waste of time.
Dave, its not just about sport, I just don't agree with your first post.

The film Pearl Harbour was an expensive overhyped waste of time. The Olympics are an important cultural event.

Anyway, we've got the Very Best of the Beach Boys on in the office and I'm up for beating Donza's leaving time.
Bring on the floor finishes! :devil:

Ade

Am I the only soul walking the face of the earth who couldn't give a flying fig as far as the Olympics are concerned?:confused:
To me its just an expensive overhyped waste of time.
I cant wait for August 28th.:eek:
And 2012 we be 10 times worse.:mad:
I thought that until I was fortunate enough to get an all expenses paid visit to the Sydney Olympics - There is nothing like the olympic atmosphere, especially when you're in it. Or was the the copious amounts of champagne we were drinking?

Last edited:
Dave, its not just about sport, I just don't agree with your first post.

The film Pearl Harbour was an expensive overhyped waste of time. The Olympics are an important cultural event.

Anyway, we've got the Very Best of the Beach Boys on in the office and I'm up for beating Donza's leaving time.
Bring on the floor finishes! :devil:

Ade

I think we must agree to disagree. Its really just personal taste.......

BTW.........Beach Boys. Superb. My favourite of theirs.....Surfer Girl. Listen to it on headphones for a truly aural experience.
Just as good are Jan and Dean, the Trashmen, the Kingsmen and the Surfaris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPWq6LOSsPs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svVGRC1LDEg&feature=related

Last edited:
ah no glojo sorry whilst i agree that some athletes use EPO and may even get away with it due to ineffective tests - (although the article you posted mentions urine testing not blood which must be more effective ) to then expand this to most if not all athletes are cheating is wide of the mark.

its also a disservice to those who compete clean.

missed tests, positives not being reported, excuses etc etc are still a minority, thousands of tests are not missed, are reported properly and no excuses needed. given your aversion to accepting anything that is fed to you by the media I'm surprised that you take the scaremongering that some dish out.

to be clear there will always be some who try to cheat of those some will escape the tests but not "most if not all top athletes are using performance enhancing drugs"

ah no glojo sorry whilst i agree that some athletes use EPO and may even get away with it due to ineffective tests - (although the article you posted mentions urine testing not blood which must be more effective ) to then expand this to most if not all athletes are cheating is wide of the mark."
Hi Biscuit,
I understand what your saying and fully, totally agree that it does a terrible disservice to the clean athletes, and how can a clean athlete ever compete against someone that has a 16% advantage?

EPO is just one banned substance that gives a huge and very significant unfair advantage there are any number of far more devious drugs out there that improve the body.

From what I gather extremely fit athletes should have a low red blood count because they are extremely fit, but by some weird circumstance it is a well known defence to claim they were born with a high red cell count. and I am led to believe the regulating authorities have set an absolute limit that they state is a 'line in the sand' :eek: What now happens is that 'legitimate' athletes are now right on this maximum limit:confused: This smacks of medical control but try proving this? Instead we have to accept these 'freaks of nature' are not taking performance enhancing drugs and they were simply born with a high red count??

The banned British athlete was plain unlucky to get caught but he had over 16 banned substances in his body!!! Is he unique, is he a single bad apple? I guarantee that the records he set will very soon get beat and this person was an extremely fit, fast runner that only achieved what he did by taking an huge cocktail of illegal substances.

I feel extremely passionate about this topic because it is being swept under the carpet. The tests are archaic, the athletes earn huge sums of money and can bankrupt any athletics association that dares to challenge these cheats.

I totally accept it is a small minority that take drugs but it is only a small minority that win. :eek: :eek:

Modern drugs are extremely difficult to detect, plus you can now take substances that mask these illegal drugs, so there is an extremely small chance of detection. Any athlete that gets caught at these games is an idiot and incompetent. That drugs should have been taken months ago, and should now be flushed out of the system. Note how hair samples are not used when athletes are tested! Hair allegedly retains traces for far longer periods of time and would make detection easier.

My brother likes to point out how many retired athletes have an undershot jaw which was not present when they were competing!

John

Edit
I have not read any scare mongering type articles by the media and would treat them with a great deal of suspicion

I dont think anyone here has been "hostile" as far as the Olympics are concerned. I wouldnt say the opinion of it being a waste of money would qualify.

Olympics - complete waste of time and money.

If people want to run around in circles or throw things, fair play to them, but why should the rest of us sponser their dreary pastimes?

Some interesting figures - how things change in 100 years:

Also in 1908

The Olympic Games took place in London at the newly built White City Stadium. Rome was the original venue but, after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 1906 which devastated Naples, the Italians claimed the Games were too expensive to stage and diverted the money they were going to use to build their Olympic Stadium into the rebuilding of Naples. So, London stepped in to host the Games at a cost of £15,000, a third of which was spent on hospitality. However, total earnings from the Games of £21,377 resulted in an overall profit of £6,377.

(taken from a publication at work)

Been looking at some of the opening ceremony and it is amazing.

Regards
John

Just come back from a liquid lunch, and despite what I have written previously, I will agree with you. A visual feast and some amazing effects.

London Olympic 2012 wont be that nice with the fireworks. :D

article-1042925-0235F18200000578-511_468x311.jpg

£20b. Didn't I hear they are going to spend just £10b for London Olympic?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-curtain-20billion-Olympics-extravaganza.html

Last edited:
That Opening Ceremony was simply amazing.... The lighting of the Olympic flame was spectacular and I just hope London does not try to compete. The firework display was a display to end all displays, crazy, but mega impressive.

I do hope the torch carrying athlete did not get burnt? ;)

John

Just awesome I reckon we will have our hands full trying to match that, not sure what the manhour pay is like but that must have cost a fortune, precision and timing were out of this world. The lady in green with the ribbons was a stunner.

gary

we should do an eco friendly one, with recycled newspapers and eco clothing, zero emission fire works that are safe and have no fire, nor explosives and lots of lovely cotton wool to wrap up our donations to the government in.

Or have I gone sane at last?

Fantastic display - you started to expect next thing is going to be even better than the last. Brilliant bit of television.

Just awesome I reckon we will have our hands full trying to match that, not sure what the manhour pay is like but that must have cost a fortune, precision and timing were out of this world. The lady in green with the ribbons was a stunner.

gary
What scares me is the thought that Seb Coe will be just stoopid enough to try. Far better to admit defeat and go back to the basics.

I thought everything about the ceremony was mind blowing but that last lap with the opening torch was inspirational. My hat goes off to the person that dreamt of that unbelievable idea, I just hope the torch bearer did not get burnt when the fuse was lit?

Regards
John

man she has a high bar for not being bored then. trust the world cup would be a glorified five a side etc etc.

what events did she see?

just so i avoid those ones you understand

The ones that Nick Mercedes is talking about;

"If people want to run around in circles or throw things, fair play to them, but why should the rest of us sponser their dreary pastimes?"

I totally accept it is a small minority that take drugs but it is only a small minority that win. :eek: :eek:

My brother likes to point out how many retired athletes have an undershot jaw which was not present when they were competing!

John

Edit
I have not read any scare mongering type articles by the media and would treat them with a great deal of suspicion

Excellent, my issue was that you wrote that most if not all athletes are cheating - that we agree that this is not true is good.

your brother is alluding to human growth hormone the effects of which are different to EPO. suggest he is a poorer source than the media:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom