Olympus DSLR Flash Gun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
I am after a decent flash gun for Olympus DSLRs. If anyone has anything lying about and would like the sell please let me know.

I want to take photography in low light (like nighclubs) and the flash would be a great start but they seem soo expensive for a decent one.

I think you would be better, and more discrete, getting a really fast prime lens - say a 50mm f1.4 - and using a higher ISO setting if the end result is to be really good photo-journalism.

If it's just for the normal 'look at me, I'm ****** and act like a *****' type promo pics then any flashgun should do. The cheaper ones will help to blow out the fake tan 'Guido' look so it could be a win-win all round.

Last edited:
Lol fair enough. I have just bought 50mm f1.8 which should be arriving this week. (I am on a tight budget at the moment).

I do a lot of graphic design and web design but I find I get a lot of work from local artists (mostly illustrating posters and flyer design but some "live" images would help) and the standart flash burns the images and a slow shutter speed makes for some blurry images.

I have found this but I fear this might be a bit basic:

Metz 24 AF-1 Digital Flash for Olympus/ Panasonic - 4422 - Jessops - Flashguns

Have you looked at raising up the ISO on your DSLR ? That, plus shooting in B&W, can give really nice, grainy images with a proper 'live' feel.

I'd never consider using flash photography to take pictures of musicians. You need a fast lens and 'fast digital film' with spot-metering.

Yep i have increased the ISO but my camera (Olympus E-410) only supports up to 1600 and usually I shoot with no flash but I get a lot of blur because of the lenses that I use.

I was thinking I could be a bit cheap and use a decent-ish flash gun to take pictures of the crowd in motion (maybe with a diffuser) and buy a new lense with a decent aperture (f1.8) without dwelving into purchasing very expensive lenses for a camera that I might upgrade in the future as I think is not up to the job.

Flash will give images that look nothing like what you see with the naked eye. As mentioned, the answer is high ISO and a fast lens ... use a tripod or monopod and take lots of shots to get a few good ones.

These are a couple of my high ISO ones ... with flash they would have looked completely different

Rockyhorror.jpg

SwanLake3.jpg

VillagePeople.jpg

Bill,

What lens have you used there?

I am far to aware that the flash burnes the images and I never like using it but thought a flash gun might help to illuminate just a little (possibly with a diffuser of some sort).

Nik

What lens have you used there?

I am far to aware that the flash burnes the images and I never like using it but thought a flash gun might help to illuminate just a little (possibly with a diffuser of some sort).

Those were actually with quite a slow lens (F/4.0-5.6, Canon 17-85 zoom), hence long-ish shutter speeds. The lens is stabilised so I was able to shoot hand-held, but obviously any subject movement gave blurring. With a fast lens wide open the shutter speeds would have been higher.

The main problem with flash is that you tend to get a brightly lit foreground and everything black (or close to) outside flash range. So it looks nothing like what you actually see when you're there. Of course you can use 'slow sync' flash with a long shutter speed (depending on camera) to lighten the background, but I would personally just not use flash in that situation.

I used flash a lot more with film cameras - you didn't have the flexibility of varying the ISO all the time then. And colour balance was much more of an issue without flash ... now just a few clicks on the computer to correct :)

Just checked the flashgun link - it didn't sell even at £10

These are £300 new btw

I think it looks like the seller has pulled it because he's done a "buy it now" with someone. It hasn't simply expired.

I used flash a lot more with film cameras - you didn't have the flexibility of varying the ISO all the time then. And colour balance was much more of an issue without flash ... now just a few clicks on the computer to correct :)

Long live Adobe Lightroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom