OM605/6 water pump lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spock500

Car
S124
Hi all,

I noticed recently a high pitched squeaking noise coming from the belts/pulley area which could be a worn water pump bearing.

Whilst looking at the water pump I saw what appeared to be a oil lube hole at the top, its quite big probably about 3/4mm across - anyway, I hope its a lube hole as I gave it a good few squirts from my oil can.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or is it for something else?

Small hole in any water pump is nearly always the tell tale ie if coolant is coming out of the hole it means the seal inside the pump has given up and started leaking.

Squeaking is nearly always the alt belt itself either full of dirt in the grooves or more likely one of the pulleys is worn and running out of line, tensioner would be favourite suspect.

Try a small straight edge on all the pulleys to see if any are running out of line.

If all are running straight try a squirt of wd40 on the belt itself if this quietens it you probably need a new belt.

Lynall

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I did use some WD40 on the belts (inadvertently :rolleyes:) in my attempt the lube some of the pulley bearings which quietened it down a fair bit.

The hole which I mentioned on the water pump body is meant to be there although it looks like a cover plug may have dropped off at some point, if the blizzard stops tomorrow I'll take a pic.

THere is also the clutch/ bearing from the alternator that make a really loud/ scratch noise sometimes. Mine does it if a bit of water goes into it when I open the hood and it was wet.
As Lynall said the hole is to look if there is any leak on the shaft.
Olivier

Here is the hole in the pump, good news also that the shrill/squeek has gone too.

aS5002020.jpg

aS5002019.jpg

I guess it's a lube hole, but it never appears in any maintenance schedules.
It might be only for use when the pump is being assembled.

I would not be happy just putting any old oil down the hole.
Pump bearings require waterproof grease and this is not necessarily compatible with certain other lubes

As Lynall has said, it's the tell tale.

Just behind the impeller is a seal ring which protects the water pump bearings from the coolant.

If this seal fails, the bearings swim in coolant, and obviously it wouldn't be long before you would get complete bearing failure, locking the water pump completely.

With the tell tale, when the seal fails, water seeps out of the tell tale hole, which is clearly visible. This tell-tale gives you some warning, to enable you to change the water pump at your convenience rather than the failure being hidden until causing a breakdown.

The tell tale is *much* more important on cars where the water pump is cam belt driven - like many Vauxhalls.

also, the 'tell tale' will prevent the outer bearing from 'swimming' in coolant too. do not be tempted to lube this hole! and check all the pulleys are in line as lynall says, especially the tensioner pulley.

try giving the belts a sprey with a silicone spray, this will last a lot longer than WD40, but try spraying the belts when the engine is running as you will then cover and lubricate all of the belts instead of just part of them

My old Volvo 245 had a similar hole. I used to pump some Castrol CL grease into it to shut it up. That worked better than oil or that horrible white spray grease but eventually we had to fit a new pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom