Om606 into a 1996 308D sprinter chassis cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flanders7

Car
1995 MB Sprinter Chassis Cab
evening all - will the om606 engine fit in a 1996 sprinter chassis cab on existing engine mounts or even in the engine bay or is there some pretty big mods to do? I am able to get a 24v turbo om606 auto engine with gearbox and I want to add into my manual chassis cab (original engine seized when I bought it) - so happy to change to auto which is great but just seeing if any of the experience on this Aladdin’s cave of advice can guide me?
Greatly appreciated! Cheers

It does physically fit, I've seen pictures of a LHD sprinter with a 606. I'm not sure about mounts however don't think it would be too difficult. Would be a simpler conversion to use a manual box and 603 converted pump. That does away with the need for any electronics and keeps all the linkages simple.

Hanks - I have ended up ordering some 10mm Ali plate to make some adaptor plates as when in the engine mounts don’t line up on the engine block mounting holes when in position but no problem (so my mechanic friend says ) and then I have had to cut some of the bulk head away in the passenger foot well to allow for the manifold to sit rub free (didn’t want a hot spot) and then will put a new metal price to tidy up the new cut out section and then in the engine bay side I will add some heat shield matting on the bulk head area - I hope . I will be adding a manual om603 pump also

The inlet manifold? Are you using the sprinter gearbox?

The inlet manifold? Are you using the sprinter gearbox?
Yes the inlet manifold (I am a proper virgin with engines so I am learning from watching and chatting to my mechanic friend). And yes the auto gearbox but mine was a manual so need to make a little box type arrangement for the auto stick but my mechanic was wondering if a more modern paddle shift steering wheel from a newer merc could be used

Take a look at this, works great with 722.6 gearbox and can use paddle steering wheel:

Home

You'll need work out a throttle linkage setup for your manual injector pump.

Wow this is pretty funky but if kit! Will have a chat with them
And then get my
Mechanic to think of the linkage stuff (I hope! )
Thanks very much 91dm! Would you know if I could just drop a smaller steering wheel onto my 1996 sprinter? As they are a big wheel and would be worried paddles would be for a smaller car wheel? Mmmm spline count etc I hope is the same?

Not sure about about the wheel, I've seen different wheels fitted but not sure how much work if any it takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom