OM606 with 717.412 gearbox - will it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
OM606 with 717.413 gearbox - will it work?

This is probably more a question for the superturbodiesel forum, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so worth a try...

I've rescued the clutch / brake pedals, gearbox, shifter and hydraulic pipes from my scrap 250d W124, and from the car's build sheet and box appearance I reckon it's the 717.413 5 speed gearbox with short input shaft and dual mass flywheel.

When / if I ever get round to fitting the box to an OM606, will it be strong enough to take the power, assuming I don't go mad with massive turbos / intercoolers?

Also I noticed there was a pickup mounted on the engine for the W124's tacho, so presumably the 717.413 flywheel already has suitable magnets mounted in it's perimeter for rpm measurement. I suspect the answer will be no, but does anyone know if these would be accurate enough to use with my W210's ecu so I don't have to immediately replace the pump when / if I convert it to manual?

And finally, is it worth rescuing the diff from the W124 250d saloon? I suspect it's going to be way too low geared and delicate to fit in a W210 estate, but Mr Google says the 5th gear on the 717.412 is 0.771.

Last edited:
Well, it would have worked, but the 'box is going to be quite tired and I think a nice 6 speeder would suit the engine better anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom