OM642 CLS 350 Turbo Intake Gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGundam

Car
2012 C207 E350Cdi
Just thought I would share the mess under my 102k OM642.

I have tried to clean up as much oil as I could. Hoping the new seals will stop this reoccurring.

H1Bkj6N.jpg

26vaS63.jpg

wdQaCk1.jpg

4bfhxmM.jpg

Charged air hose is all clean, so hopefully not too much oil being pushed to the engine.

e8DjU2P.jpg

Al4qHrH.jpg

That turbo seal is a disgrace , wonder what caused those indents . Is the bat wing end ok or is it cracked/smashed ??

That turbo seal is a disgrace , wonder what caused those indents . Is the bat wing end ok or is it cracked/smashed ??
The batwing seems to be in good nick. I think the seal has just formed to the shape of the inside:

DFRKFZK.jpg

Not sure how this would be avoided? Maybe the seal was never replaced and over time just too its shape.

Don't think it's been replaced judging by the oil mist that has leaked out. The batwing has changed since I owned a Cls on a 2008 plate, the end was flat .... Learning curve for me.

It could also be an issue with the PCV valve at that mileage - rubber diaphragm + heat + age = splits = excess oil vapour/mist at the turbo inlet.

Those seals leaking is a common enough issue.
It takes out the swirl motor beneath.

Be careful when replacing there have been 3 variants I believe. Upgraded seals don't always fit an earlier air duct and can split them if persuaded.

Replace the engine breather too that sits on top of the N/S rocker cover.

Yes, Positive crankcase ventilation 'valve'

Yes, Positive crankcase ventilation 'valve'
Ah sorry I was thrown by the N/S comment. On my C207 it is on the O/S (UK driver side).

I have ordered one already but thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: m80
So I took to old PCV off today ready for delivery of new one from MB.

I notice the old one has a little sealant dabbed on opposite ends. Is this required when replacing?

Obb0dlT.jpg

5zmonib.jpg

Also cannot seem to find a min / max level for my coolant:

eW7aSyW.jpg

SAwnhbb.jpg

The min max in the coolant is that tower inside , I can’t remember if the level is the top of the white or top of the black part . The cars manual says which it is

The sealant is likely just a preference of the last installer.
It's what I used to add, a narrow bead around inner and outer of the rubber gasket, after a white spirit wipe of surfaces.

I didn't bother with sealant, just a little oil on the surface.
A 50k mile turbo seal doesn't look too good either.

Attachments

• Turbo_Seal_Old_New.jpg
    Turbo_Seal_Old_New.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Vent_Old_New.jpg
    Vent_Old_New.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 13
Just wondering. does you thermostat have an electrical connection?
Mine didn't, but the replacement thermostat has the connector but the car doesn't have a site to connect!

Just wondering. does you thermostat have an electrical connection?
Mine didn't, but the replacement thermostat has the connector but the car doesn't have a site to connect!
Yes mine seems to have a connector:

RQ7RC87.jpg

Thanks
I'm taking off the airbox soon chasing a 14B100 hot air mass plausibility error.
I'll look for my missing thermostat wire again then.

I've had a good look. Can't se any loose wires.

Attachments

• 20210225_130141_.jpg
    20210225_130141_.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210225_130319_.jpg
    20210225_130319_.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom