OM642 Crank Case Breather Valve - just changed and now have code P0108

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ukcoclau

Car
W251 Mercedes R320 CDI
Hello all,

First forum post.

I have a R320 CDI (W251) with OM642 engine, 132K. I have been chasing a resolution to P1101, so today I changed the air filters, the turbo inlet seal, and also the crank case breather valve/pipe/sensor/orange seal assembly as a single piece (new type with modified seal).

After reassembly I ran the engine for a couple of minutes, then plugged in OBD2 to read codes. P1101 was still there (!!)(pending) but also now P0108 (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input) which I haven’t had before.

I haven’t driven the car yet.

I have read that this may relate to crank case pressure; which given I changed the breather parts has me wondering.

The old breather valve (the internal seal) was damaged on inspection (there were exhaust gases leaking out too), and there was a heavy flow of gases through the old pipe, so wondering if the sensor has been somehow triggered with a possible higher resistance through the new valve?

All suggestions/help very welcome.

Thanks.

I'm confused by the leak of exhaust gasses at the breather, only way I see this is if the exhaust gasses are passing through the turbo.
Very interested to hear other thoughts.

Might recheck the connectors you took off to do the work. IIRC the manifold sensor is on the Y snorkel left side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm confused by the leak of exhaust gasses at the breather, only way I see this is if the exhaust gasses are passing through the turbo.

Below are a couple of videos. The first shows the exhaust gasses leaking from around the valve - specific leak location unknown. The second just shows the flow when you take the breather off from the turbo inlet. These are both before I changed the assembly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Might recheck the connectors you took off to do the work. IIRC the manifold sensor is on the Y snorkel left side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed - always worth going back over what you've done. When you say Y snorkel are you referring to the air intake pipes from air filter boxes to turbo intake?

The 2nd video is clearer,
on that the gasses are from the crankcase via the breather. Wouldn't they be oil fumes from an excessively pressurised crankcase?

Any progress, on the car or in it?

Agreed - always worth going back over what you've done. When you say Y snorkel are you referring to the air intake pipes from air filter boxes to turbo intake?

Found the sensor reporting the code: it is the one on the air filter box. Took it off, cleaned it with air gun, cleaned the pocket it sits in, made sure the connected was on securely, replaced and hey presto P0108 code now gone. Could well have debris in sensor tube from filter change, or simply not plugged it back in properly, but happy it’s solved. Just need to sort the P1101 code now!!

Reactions: m80
I’m new to forums. Is it good practice to start a new thread to discuss then P1101 fault code?

Tbh I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest.
I see no reason why those knowledgeable can't just respond as they feel appropriate.

P1101 is Mass Airflow Sensor out of range. There are two on the y-section, you could try cleaning them with carb cleaner, check the connections etc. Otherwise you need to get the live values read either on STAR or something equivalent. Whole y-section needs replacing if they are knackered.

Also check for any leaks on the pipework

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom