OM642 egr pipe clean , green and black Turbo O rings and new air filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
Last week I sprayed clean the gunk from the exhaust back pressure sensor and the egr valve itself .
After looking at The YouTube the other day I saw someone remove the shiny steel egr pipe that sits at the front of the engine , in the vid it was almost totally gunged up . I figured that seeing how good or bad it was on my car would maybe indicate what state the inlet manifolds would be in .
It wasn’t actually too bad on mine , the picture is hard to make out . Maybe 20% obstruction at the front of the pipe with slightly less inside , 20 mins cleaning with a pipe brush and oven cleaner (and Mrs W’s toothbrush) and we were all clean .
I reused the orange gasket and I think the flared end was just a push fit , I never found any other gasket . If it turns out there should be , it’s a 30min job to take it off and refit again .
7AD40FCB-5842-4EB5-8EA2-EA5DDC16E4DE.jpeg867867C6-48DB-45F8-9AB4-E33792AA8320.jpeg
I then decided to take off the large metal turbo pipe and replace the green and black seals (I’m still waiting for the black one to arrive ) . I had difficulty finding a deep E10 Torx socket for the central bolt with the post sticking up from it (for the engine cover) . In the end I tried a normal spanner and that managed it . I’ll need to order some Star spanner’s for the garage
E5C896A3-BDC4-4159-B545-A076F6F5795D.jpeg
Next up I noticed the resistor bypass tape was falling off with the heat , so I used some wide electrical shrink wrap over it thinking it will shrink and seal when it gets hot ? It was a good fit anyway just to stop the resistor touching metal surfaces .
I did put a zip tie around the folded end of the wrap to hold it in place afterwards.
C0D9055A-B41B-4BE8-8989-E917CDD2EAA1.jpeg6FA5F66B-BA85-4FE7-ACE8-39767E2E9716.jpeg
I had a set of new air filters in the garage , last change was 2 years ago and 16,000 miles so I thought id swap them over whilst the batwing was off .
AEC9C6ED-6931-4388-A3C7-3789B800D8A9.jpeg
Thats where I’m up to until the black turbo o ring arrives .
Sorry about all the pics .

All back together and working , as usual after any diy stuff the car feels faster ;) .
Next job is control arms and ball joints at the front , along with inner tie rods :shock: . I’ve done control arms on the CLK last year so I’m not worried by them .
The tie rods look ok on YouTube and the press in ball joint I’ve ordered a C clamp press kit from the tinternet , hopefully that will get rid of the irritating knock on the front end . Either way at 110k they will be due anyway .

Nice bit of quite technical work there W1ghty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom