OM642 Engine Capabilities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WheezyXD

Car
Mercedes-Benz E350 CDI Blue Efficiency Avantgarde Edition 125
What are the hp capabilities of the OM642 specifically the E350 CDI I have a remap on my current car which brings the power up to 300hp are these engine capable of 350/400hp on stock internals at all as there isn't much on the internet about tuning these cars is the transmission the limit in the E350 CDI? At the moment the power is enough not thinking off tuning it now but the power is starting to get boring quite quickly (bearing in mind I feather it quite a lot) so nearing the end of the year I might start tuning the car for big power gains and would like to do my research before hand knowing there isn't much about these engines on the internet.

Hello,
I have a c320cdi (w203)
So I have a similar om642 (3.0v6 diesel), I have read the engines will take 350-400bhp but at the higher end of that the pistons are really being pushed and they can crack.
In order to get more power you'll be looking at a 3inch turbo back exhaust (dpf and cat removed), bigger intercooler with custom boost pipework and throttle body removal.
Following that a hybrid turbo, i'm unsure which particular turbo you have so cannot comment on that.
I read on the kleeman website the transmissions will take around 750nm of continuous torque (check their website for the exact figure I cannot remember.
Hope this helps

What are the hp capabilities of the OM642 specifically the E350 CDI I have a remap on my current car which brings the power up to 300hp are these engine capable of 350/400hp on stock internals at all as there isn't much on the internet about tuning these cars is the transmission the limit in the E350 CDI? At the moment the power is enough not thinking off tuning it now but the power is starting to get boring quite quickly (bearing in mind I feather it quite a lot) so nearing the end of the year I might start tuning the car for big power gains and would like to do my research before hand knowing there isn't much about these engines on the internet.
Hi I have the 231hp convertible, do you think I can remap mine to 300hp with no problems to transmission or anything else?

Hi I have the 231hp convertible, do you think I can remap mine to 300hp with no problems to transmission or anything else?

Yeah . That's just a little tickle to the om642. The torque curves from stock will be huge.

I maybe wrong but there are two types of the OM642 engine one was the 231bhp and the later one was 265. GAD done a tune of there car (a 265bhp car ) and got it to around the 300 mark and this was when they very first got it if you search the forum I’m sure your find it. The engines are different as the higher bhp has some slight internal mods resulting in it running cooler so you can push it higher, i thinking that it has sleeves or something that are cooled but it’s been awhile since reading about this. IMO I don’t think your gonna get the 300 Figure from the lower 231 engine with just a map. I did have one and sold it to my best mate he had it mapped and was at 270bhp and the tuner didn’t want to push it any further, he also limited the torque.

Just for clarity, most decent places (MSL, etc - not a chip or generic map) take the 231bhp/540NM version to about 285 and about 630NM.

They will take the 265bhp/620NM version to just over 300bhp and over 700NM.

GAD seem to claim the most gains on this engine and will take the 231 version to 300hp/720NM, and the 265 version to 315hp/750nm.

It is up for debate on how GAD are getting higher numbers - are they really 'better' and know some magic other tuners don't, or are they pushing the engine/transmission too far? I started a thread on this and decided to give GAD a miss because I wasn't a huge fan of a few things about the way they conduct themselves. Seemingly plenty of happy customers, however!

This info is all for a stock stage 1 map. I don't know about engine/turbo mods. GAD themselves created a 'research' car where they pushed the 265bhp version to around 350 and that's the upper limit, I think.

The gearbox has a limit on the amount of torque it can handle. The 265bhp version has a 7G+ box which can handle more torque.

I will also add that I think some tuners quote more modest estimates and then over-deliver because they don't want pissed off customers.

Cheers,

Ed

Just co-incidentally, I have a Brabus D6-3 PowerExtra upgrade for the OM642 from my written off CLK - if someone makes me a sensible offer I'll sell it.

Would this fit a W221 350CDi or do they require a different version?

Search "brabus tuning module" - several previous threads about this

I maybe wrong but there are two types of the OM642 engine one was the 231bhp and the later one was 265. GAD done a tune of there car (a 265bhp car ) and got it to around the 300 mark and this was when they very first got it if you search the forum I’m sure your find it. The engines are different as the higher bhp has some slight internal mods resulting in it running cooler so you can push it higher, i thinking that it has sleeves or something that are cooled but it’s been awhile since reading about this. IMO I don’t think your gonna get the 300 Figure from the lower 231 engine with just a map. I did have one and sold it to my best mate he had it mapped and was at 270bhp and the tuner didn’t want to push it any further, he also limited the torque.
Ive got a 10 plate e350 cab with 235 horses, had two quotes from MB dealerships for a Brabus tuning box, both quotes 313HP and 600 to torques.

Ive got a 10 plate e350 cab with 235 horses, had two quotes from MB dealerships for a Brabus tuning box, both quotes 313HP and 600 to torques.
Wouldn’t it be cheaper to get the car mapped by MSL or GAD ?

There's no way a tuning box Brabus or otherwise is going to get your 231bhp car to 313hp. Also 600nm is low... that's only 60nm increase. Often more bhp means less torque, but that still seems like a stretch. Also... how are you going to be able to tell if there's no rolling road before/after...

You would be insane to spend £2700 on a 10 year old car for a chip tuning box, no rolling road etc IMHO...

deffo yes, MB quoted £2700. the difference is the Brabus is a MB approved and warrantable product.
Jesus that’s expensive , and your 2010 car is so far out of warranty that shouldn’t concern you . Besides the good mapping companies are insured and their reputation is based on referals .
You could save yourself over 2k by not buying it

The most expensive map for that car will be about £500, most will likely be around £350-400...

There's no way a tuning box Brabus or otherwise is going to get your 231bhp car to 313hp. Also 600nm is low... that's only 60nm increase. Often more bhp means less torque, but that still seems like a stretch. Also... how are you going to be able to tell if there's no rolling road before/after...

You would be insane to spend £2700 on a 10 year old car for a chip tuning box, no rolling road etc IMHO...
am I **** buying it! 313 is MB say.

IM not buying it, just saying that Brabus and MB will increase a 235hp motor to 313hp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom