OM642 Engine - Slow cold starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rawhide

Car
2 x 2004 S211 320 CDI
Hi all. I've recently picked up a 2008 E320 CDI estate which has the OM642 engine. I've had a couple of these cars but with the OM648 engine. My car is well loved, one owner from new, FMBSH etc. I have STAR diagnostics and it's got no engine faults. However using a cheap bluetooth dongle and 'Torque' app on my phone is indicating a number of current faults;

Current Faults
P0030- Powertrain H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0130- Powertrain O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0135- Powertrain O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0130- Powertrain O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
Pending Faults
P2239 - Powertrain O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit High bank1 Sensor 1

I'm a bit puzzled as to why these don't show in STAR but I will re-scan again at some point to see if it's picking these up.

The car is driving pretty well. It has good power and is smooth and MPG is about what I'd expect. However I've not driven many and it does feel a bit down on torque from the OM648 engine car it replaces but that might be in my head. The only issue I'm having is cold starting. The car is seeming to crank for 2-3 seconds before coughing into life. I've not got a glow plug light showing but I don't know if they were ever replaced.

The car has 90k on the clock and otherwise seems in good health. Batteries are good.

Any advise is welcome as I'm not keen on swapping parts for fun. Especially glow plugs as I know they can break in the block.

Is your SDS able to 'see' CDI module? (No '!' showing, part number visible on module list?)

Which program version you are using? I found out that if you are reading car newer than your program, some modules may not show all functions.

Glow plug light work as it should, 1-5 sec on before off? Check live data about rail pressure when cranking, is it rising almost immediately above 200 bar, or just before engine starts?

Hi all. I've recently picked up a 2008 E320 CDI estate which has the OM642 engine. I've had a couple of these cars but with the OM648 engine. My car is well loved, one owner from new, FMBSH etc. I have STAR diagnostics and it's got no engine faults. However using a cheap bluetooth dongle and 'Torque' app on my phone is indicating a number of current faults;

Current Faults
P0030- Powertrain H02S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0130- Powertrain O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0135- Powertrain O2 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0130- Powertrain O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
Pending Faults
P2239 - Powertrain O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit High bank1 Sensor 1

I'm a bit puzzled as to why these don't show in STAR but I will re-scan again at some point to see if it's picking these up.

The car is driving pretty well. It has good power and is smooth and MPG is about what I'd expect. However I've not driven many and it does feel a bit down on torque from the OM648 engine car it replaces but that might be in my head. The only issue I'm having is cold starting. The car is seeming to crank for 2-3 seconds before coughing into life. I've not got a glow plug light showing but I don't know if they were ever replaced.

The car has 90k on the clock and otherwise seems in good health. Batteries are good.

Any advise is welcome as I'm not keen on swapping parts for fun. Especially glow plugs as I know they can break in the block.
Check the glow plug relay. And at 90K it's best to get oem glow plugs on the block. About less torque check the 2 intake red seals and replace them with high durability silicone ones or oem. And swap out the intercooler seals with new purple seals. In case the turbo was serviced the o rings on the metal pipe are very fragile.

If you do need glow plugs: soak them with something like plusgas over a few weeks then attack with the engine hot using a torque wrench. If stuck, repeat process and try again. You won’t break one this way.

I just did the set on my CLK - 2 were original at 15yo/105K and needed a good few weeks before they wanted to leave!

The op hasn’t replied since February , so I’m guessing it’s sorted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom