Om642 have you done the seals or cooler as well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
I'm so unsure as to whether the seals should be changed and the old oil cooler to used or to change the cooler and seals?? The price is starting to mount for parts now! What do you guys think?

Personally I always fit a new cooler. It’s a smidge over £100, and for the effort to do the job twice it’s a no-brainer. Aside from the potential of an internal failure allowing oil and coolant to mix, the seals rely on a face contact to keep the fluid in. The underside of the cooler is often corroded, and the corrosion swelling can lift the sealing face up, compromising the seals. Like I say, no brainer really.

I refitted my old cooler, i cleaned everything in the seating area with dry blue paper towel so as not to get anything where it shouldnt be, just let it all soak in, remove and do it again until its clean.

I used a metal ruler ( engineers ruler ) and placed that on its edge along the face of the cooler to sheck for warping and it was fine, it just needed a clean and the new seals pressed in gently. Do not re-use the bolts, get new ones, they are cheap enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom