Om642 oil cooler seal change completed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carlos2k

Car
CLS55 AMG
Well it’s been a tough weekend but after some proper graft Ive replaced the dreaded oil seals on the om642 oil cooler. Those that have done this know what a job n half it is but I’m pleased to report that everything is back together and working great!

During the strip down I came across some of the most clogged inlets I have seen! Took me almost a day to clear out the intakes, throttle body and head ports but wow the difference in the car is quite unbelievable! The swirl flaps were so clogged they were bent!

Here are some pics of the job, if anyone has any questions please let me know and I’ll try my best to answer them. My Indy wanted £1500 to do this and wouldn’t of cleaned what I did so if your handy and relatively calm person it is doable.. I’d recommend an extra set of hands to help getting some of the bits off.

pics below.

IMG_4419
IMG_4420
V4?
IMG_4421
Hmm thats a bit of a leak you have there!
IMG_4423
IMG_4424
IMG_4425
IMG_4428
5679B07C-72B1-4BA7-AF21-3B62922261D7

Last edited:
Awesome.
I want to get the inlet manifolds off this summer to clean then. I believe it is the EGR that causes this disaster in diesel engines, totally negating EGR and swirl flap benefits on all but nearly new engines.

How did you clean the inlet etc?
I was thinking of taking them to a local vapour blaster.

Mines done 140k now. I've been running a catch can since i got the car in 2018 but i think the endless years of oil vape and egr prior have taken its toll.

Nothing too fancy on the cleaning side...

Head ports i modified a long coach bolt for scraping, then used a pipe cleaner and a hose attached to my vacuum cleaner. :D
Inlet manis were lots of gunk, wire brush and a pressure washer.

If yours was anything like mine you'll notice how well she performs after a good clean out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom