OM642 PCV Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Larkone

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLS 320 CDI facelift
Just as a preventative caution I changed the PCV valve on my 133K mile OM642 (w219) on Sunday to the latest spec - upgraded orange seal with the clamp.

Took the old one apart and the diaphragm did not have any visible leaks but the rubber was starting to go hard and rippled.

The upshot was a much smoother tickover and the car is driving more smoothly than before, just more responsive when accelerating.

Hope this is useful to anyone with an OM642 with high miles.

Drivers side top of engine at back to Y section pipe to turbo inlet - small orange seal on the end.

odma-do-3litrowego-diesla-mercedes-kat-a-642-010-309699352.jpg

Bought mine here
Oil Separator kurbelgehäuseentlüfter MERCEDES E280 E320 C320 V6 CDi CLS 320 NEW | eBay

5 minute job to replace - 3 bolts

Hi guys today I bought new CCV breather (the puck) because too much oil is going to the intake. But question when I blow air to the new CCV breather the air flow without pressure easily out thru the breather is that ok? Or Iam should not be able to blow air thru the breather. Part No of breather is A6420100391.

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

Did you get the part from MB? Either way, how much is the part? I know the hose is £15 from MB and is special order from Germany

W212 E350 CDI 231bhp here

No I bought it from local dealer. MB wants 150€ for the breather and the hose kit. I bought only the breather the hose seems to be ok. The standalome breather cost 25€.

548ea51c9c99ff69def60ebdde660ce7.jpg

dee24358347aecd9aeef1f8122bfda2e.jpg

26593ab4f990fcda132d0ca40adbaf8a.jpg

Hmmm... but I got a quote from MB parts for £15 for the hose, but they said it would take a few days to get it from germany.

How can the PCV cost €25 and the hose cost €17, but together they cost €150?!

It is called bussines my friend :)

If you buy the hose as well you get the improved oil seal at the Y-pipe end.

If you buy the hose as well you get the improved oil seal at the Y-pipe end.

Is that wort it? My old seem relatively ok. No oil leakage. Do you have the improved seal? Whats the main advantage of it?

Do you guys have zip ties on your PCV pipes? It looks like there are notches for it, but I can't see any. I placed one around the end of mine anyway.

The pipe is only £15 so I'd probably replace it for peace of mind. If I can get the pipe and the PCV valve for about £40, I'll do this pretty damn soon!

I dont have the zip ties but those metal ties.

3d817d1c427f59f5b8fbbf199b19b495.jpg

Is that wort it? My old seem relatively ok. No oil leakage. Do you have the improved seal? Whats the main advantage of it?

There have been reports of the oil seal being sucked into the turbo on the old style pipe , the new pipe has an anchored seal to stop that happening.

New pipe and seal
upload_2019-3-8_14-32-13.png

Last edited:
I bought new orange seals (main turbo one, the breather pipe one, and even the two oval ones just after the air filters) from mercedes a few days ago and it didn't look like that... it looked exactly the same as the old one!

There have been reports of the oil seal being sucked into the turbo on the old style pipe , the new pipe has an anchored seal to stop that happening.

New pipe and seal
View attachment 84147

Ah ok. Didnt hear about that. And does the new pipe have a separate part number? Could you be so kond and post it?

FWIW I have a feeling things might be slightly different on the W211 OM642s...

The part the OP linked to does not lost my W212 as compatible.

I guess I will have to call MB and get a quote.... was just avoiding it as I hate dealing with them!

Had mine off yesterday when I was changing turbo inlet seal as it had a 15mm split, also changed the smaller one but did not look like above, mine were original dealer parts. PCV was a pain to open but all fine with the diaphragm so i put back together and refitted.

Ah ok. Didnt hear about that. And does the new pipe have a separate part number? Could you be so kond and post it?

Don't have part number for pipe as I bought the whole unit as per your photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom