OM642 Turbo Actuator: Buy New / Buy Old Original Reconditioned / Recondition Your Own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi,

The next step in my long saga with turbo faults is to replace actuator that I attempted to fix myself some time ago (E320CDI 2007 Intermittent loss of Turbo Power | Engine) ....

Today removed it in just 10minutes (so much time I spend on this issue before that now knew how exactly to go about it - removed the turbo shield and unscrewed the actuator without disconnecting that black butterfly air mass sensor pipe.) and now know that I need G-277 actuator.

I have read claims that it is calibrated to the specific turbo and you need to get your own reconditioned (which presumingly will keep the calibration). What are the views on this: is it really a bad idea to get just another one? Is calibration really kept when it goes through reconditioning?

The choices are:
1. Buy a new one made by who knows whom ( from £57 ) (Turbo Electric Drive G-001 G-219 G-277 Actuator for Mercedes M-Class 05179566AB | eBay)
2. Recondition your own ( from £80 ) (MERC E320 S320 HELLA ELECTRONIC TURBO ACTUATOR G-109 743436 REPAIR SERVICE | eBay)
3. Buy reconditioned - though sneakily they do require to post your own to them. And surprisingly, this service is actually more expensive than 2. As much as £150! Though from just under (£100).

Is 1 really a bad choice? It is the most convenient choice (no sending back) and the cheapest... but should I avoid it? Is the risk that it will just stop working or could it lead to expensive Turbo / Engine damage?

The extra complication is the repair I attempted to my own actuator .... refurbishment people might not like that ....

A4.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve used a few reconditioned units from various places with no issues. As long as it’s as stated g 277 or think the other is g 219? then you won’t have a problem.

The last place i got one was MK turbos, on the shelf and take yours back to refurbish.

Both 1&2 are from China.
check sellers business address.

1. Chinese seller but sent from UK. Can get option 1 from a fully UK seller just a bit more expensive: MERCEDES ELECTRONIC TURBO ACTUATOR 3.0 CDI G277 765155 6NW-009-420 712120 7426925803886 | eBay

But option 1 whether Chinese seller with some UK warehouse or a full UK business is likely to be made in China ... but so are lots of things.

2. Option 2 appears to be UK business. TURBOWORKS LTD - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

2. and 3. Can get from UK business but parts they use like motors, gears etc. are still likely to be Chinese made I suppose....

Extra complication is that with option 3 they ask for a high deposit and might refuse to give it back if they do not like what I send them (see picture above showing my attempted repair). Most convenient is option 1 as no parcel is to be sent - just received. It is actually a LOT more hassle to pack it up and send (especially given the pandemics) then to install it. As I have even all the tools needed for the task in a separate box I expect to install it in about 10 minutes: just 3 easily accessible bolts to attach the actuator, one circular pin to connect it to the driving rod, three extremely easily accessible bolts to put the heat shield in. So option 1 is very tempting as about 10 times less work, but if people have had bad experiences with this option.....

i used turbo vanes on ebay for mine and no issues after 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom