OM642 Turbo Actuator failed w251

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Hi Guys

I have a stuttering OM642 under load, fault code (P2510-001, Y77/1 turbo actuator positioner signal fault) is pointing to the actuator failing on the turbo. My question is, can you purchase/replace the actuators or are we looking at a new turbo?

If anyone has been down this route, any pointers would be appreciated

thanks

Paul

Yes you can get them separately,
but if the turbo is causing the positioner to stick due to carbon deposits it will cause the same fault,
in worst cases the worm gear gets stripped on the positioner.

I would advise taking the turbo off and cleaning off the vnt vanes and assembly,
but to test first on the car, take the actuator arm clip off and see if the rod moves the vanes freely around 10mm without snagging.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I have a stuttering OM642 under load, fault code (P2510-001, Y77/1 turbo actuator positioner signal fault) is pointing to the actuator failing on the turbo. My question is, can you purchase/replace the actuators or are we looking at a new turbo?

If anyone has been down this route, any pointers would be appreciated

thanks

Paul

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM642
Mercedes don't list the actuator as a spare part- just the entire turbocharger- which is only available as a reconditioned unit -- incidentally they list 5 possible replacements according to chassis no. They are also used in commercial vehicles so a good commercial diesel engine rebuilder might be a useful avenue to explore?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM642
Mercedes don't list the actuator as a spare part- just the entire turbocharger- which is only available as a reconditioned unit -- incidentally they list 5 possible replacements according to chassis no. They are also used in commercial vehicles so a good commercial diesel engine rebuilder might be a useful avenue to explore?

dropped the car into my indie. He has suggested the actuator unit goes to AC Tronics who test and repair actuators on Mercedes Turbo's. I will follow this route and post back if its a success.

It will probably be condemned and a complete replacement turbo unit recommended.

Shame as I repair many of these at a fraction of the reconditioned cost.

They usually need stripping down and cleaning internally,
there's nothing special about these turbos,
but you might be told there is :)

Also the wiring needs checking to the actuator as it can throw the same code,
the EGR valve and map sensor also need checking/cleaning.

Last edited:
What you did to fix it?

My first check would be the exhaust back pressure sensor.

Yes you can get them separately,
but if the turbo is causing the positioner to stick due to carbon deposits it will cause the same fault,
in worst cases the worm gear gets stripped on the positioner.

I would advise taking the turbo off and cleaning off the vnt vanes and assembly,
but to test first on the car, take the actuator arm clip off and see if the rod moves the vanes freely around 10mm without snagging.

today I made this video on my car... I am looking for a solution for me as well... same trouble, same symptoms...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom