OM642 V6 CDI @64k miles - engine management light and loss of power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Got 100 yds from home last night and the engine management light came on plus loss of power. Pulled over, stopped, removed key, restarted ... no difference. This morning no engine light but still the loss of power ... very slow acceleration. Seems to drive better if you shift the gears manually. No malfunctions shown on the cluster, engine starts and runs fine.

Took it to the local dealer this morning ... they will read the error codes but may not have time to sort out whatever the issue is as they are fully booked today. Bit of a pain as we need the vehicle Saturday and Sunday :(

It's only done 64k miles so I'm not particularly impressed, particularly just a couple of months after having the CPS fail without warning.

So, any guesses on the likely cause? :dk:

EGR valve
DPF
??

That is annoying. With the complexity of these modern systems, it could be 'simply' a failed sensor rather than actual component problems, if that makes sense. Why would you think the DPF or EGR?

That is annoying. With the complexity of these modern systems, it could be 'simply' a failed sensor rather than actual component problems, if that makes sense. Why would you think the DPF or EGR?

They were just a couple of common things that I've heard of in the past. Shouldn't be the DPF as it gets a decent motorway run most weekends.

It could be (another) sensor failed, or even just a spurious error that can be cleared/reset via STAR. But it's certainly annoying on a relatively low mileage vehicle. At least it didn't go on one of our trips across Europe ...

PS £158 to read the fault codes and a basic manual examination.

Swirl motor failed
See if there is oil under intake pipe to turbo, where the orange seal is located
Had that on my w221
Motor is not expensive but swirl flaps need to be checked too, thats another story

Had this recently, my eml didn't come on until I drove it 50 miles to the main dealer.

Is the turbo chattering or anything like that?

My turbo went because inlet manifold decided to disintegrate and smash the turbo to pieces! That's the worst case anyway. Could be dpf, could be egr.

Cheers guys. It's at the dealer now so can't check anything, will see what they come up with.

Engine sounded completely normal; as mentioned the EML came on last night but was off when I drove it to the garage this morning.

If it's anything significant I will try for a goodwill payment due to the low mileage + FMBSH (and I've owned it from new). Didn't get anywhere with the £377 bill for the CPS in Feb. though, even though that was a known issue which all other MB models with the OM642 built around then were recalled for :(

Reactions: HB
Ok, so it's a failed differential pressure sensor (something to do with the DPF). They don't have the part in stock so it's off the road till Monday ... unfortunately we were due to be competing in a Championship show with the dogs both days this weekend, so that's £100+ of entry fees down the drain.

Total cost including the diagnostics and replacing a failed glowplug (which has needed doing for some time) will be £427.

Glad it's sort of good news; it could certainly have been a lot worse. Mine is only a compact (with the plastic trim in the rear) but if you think it would be big enough, you are welcome to borrow it for tomorrow. Kevin.

That's a really kind offer but we need room for 6 dogs and 3 kids so we're sunk without ours really ... it's got two-tier caging built in at the back. This was when it was new ... not quite so shiny now

Ah, yes. A pint does not go into a quart pot, to be sure.

I've had similar history on my Viano, similar mileage. Glow plugs and DPF sensor last year. Had to wait 4 wks for my sensor due to allegedly re-design or production issues. Wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not? Next time something goes on mine. I'll forewarn you!

I was pretty pi$$ed off about the CPS because that was treated as a safety recall on all other models with the OM642 (since it resulted in the engine stopping dead with no warning). But this wasn't considered to be an issue for Vitos and Vianos!

This is the second glowplug to go on mine - first failed at 35k miles. Hope they can get it out ok ...

I no longer take my ML's to an MB dealer for repairs, it takes days to get the issue even investigated, then they never have the part in stock and i used to pay through the nose for the repair. I now go to a local repair shop who have always been able to diagnose the issue the same day or latest the next day and do the repair for normally half the price an MB dealer does it.

So now at 90k miles we've got the same scenario again i.e. EML on & limp mode (and even - totally coincidentally - another failed glowplug). Neither of the two dealers in the area (Rygor in Reading, Rossetts in Aldershot) could even look at it for TWO WEEKS :( so it's with a local indi. Hoping it's 'just' a sensor again, no signs or sounds of it being anything mechanical but of course you never know.

Inlet port shutter motor possibly, had similar on mine, cost £335. Glows plugs were £50. All prices with labour and done at an mb Indy.

I recall similar when I got the EML and limp mode.
I was 200 miles from home, but 50 miles from PCS, so limped it there and Olly very kindly did a DPF regeneration for me.

It turned out to be the pressure sensor as with Bill's above. IIRC, Circa £40 for the part and around £150 labour at the MB commercial dealership.
Never missed a beat after that and I still hanker after another Vito 120. It was a great van but very uncomfortable when you have a duff back.

I keep thinking about 210 seats in a Vito, but not sure of how fixing positioning would work out and also seating positioning height-wise.

Does anyone know if the leather Vito seats were softer that the MB-Tex one's?

Indi says it's a fuel pressure error - first step is to replace the pressure sensor and fuel filter. Fingers crossed as that's going to be £374 all-in (sensor alone is £160).

Seats are subjective of course ... I also have a bad back but haven't had any problem with the (optional) Comfort driver's seat in ours, even doing 10+ hours to or from Germany. The front passenger seating is much more basic as ours is 2+1 in the front. All 6 seats are cloth rather than tex.

The leather seats used in the Sport X were just a re-trim of the standard ones, done after arrival in the UK.

A little update on this. The local garage had the Vito for over 2 weeks and couldn't fix it.

Initial error pointed to the MAS, but this didn't return after being cleared. As above the next error was low fuel pressure - fuel filter and pressure sensor changed. Next error was EGR valve. New EGR valve (£560 :eek:) fitted - error persisted. Now just over £1000 in and the van was still in limp mode. Managed to negotiate the price down to £340 for the filter and pressure sensor (plus all the diagnostics) after having the new EGR valve removed and the original re-fitted. Got the van back last night - it's now got a minor drip from the engine bay as well (from the work done I would guess at diesel, but it doesn't smell like it).

Luckily I'd retained a booking at Rygor Commercials (M-B dealer) on Monday 'just in case', so it will be going there in the hope that they can sort it out. It will have been off the road for nearly 3 weeks by then :(

I am reading this with interest as have bought a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with, I believe, the same engine 3.0 Mercedes V6

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom