OM651 Engine removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinClelland

Car
E250 Convertible
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 E250 convertible.. It needs a new engine, however i have sourced a 2nd hand replacement!

Now this is where I'm hoping somebody can assist?

I have started the process to remove the old engine, and I'm coming across obstacles at every turn, and I can't seem to extract the cat, which connects to the turbo. It's loose, however have no idea how to extract it from the space? The next issue is reaching the engine mounting bolts, and the gearbox top bolts??

Does anyone have any tips, pictures manual etc?

I'll write more tomorrow and can only relate removing one from the single turbo Viano.

I've seen disconnecting the engine electrics from the ECU, on mine, is the start.

On mine I'm planning to remove engine and auto box together.
That to me looks easier than separating from the engine and also having to consider the TC.
Disconnecting the box electrical feed, unbolting the trans mount, marking the prop at the rear of the auto box and unbolt those 4 bolts.

On mine the engine mounts are bolt at the top and the mounts bolt to the body with studs and nuts at the bottom, so I'm hoping removing the top bolts will suffice.

The engine is far too flippin' complicated and on the n/s fills the engine bay, so it needs to come out to work on it.
I thought the E class would allow more space there and at the bulkhead.

I've an engine hoist coming so hope to progress soon. But I've to start on an mt property Monday so we'll see.

Out of interest what happened to the engine? They are pretty robust.

The below link might be of some use to you? there is a video of an e class on there with the same engine

cheers for the link, unfortunately, he keeps the procedure a secret! There was a massive oil leak near the oil filter and there is metal in the sump, lots of it! I broken piston I think, however as it's proving a challenge to remove the engine, not seen yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom