om651 Engine swap - HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weedave

Car
Sprinter
Hello, first time posting so please keep me right if its in the wrong place!

I have a Sprinter, 2013 plate, 310 906 with an om651 engine currently with 170k on the clock.

Currently attempting an engine swap after discovering a bent conrod, got quoted 10k for the garage to swap the engine, so i bought one from a crashed vehicle with 48k on the clock, swapped engines before so how hard can a 651 engine be to-do right?

First question, I believed mine to be an om651.956 and that what i have bought from the breakers, I'm now thinking that's slightly different, how do I confirm that mine is a 651.956 or 651.955 or 651.957? Is that written on the engine somewhere, I can just find casting marks that say "651 016" (same on both engines).

Next thing I have discovered is the new engine has a vacuum reservoir on top and seems to control the turbo with a vacuum system, mine currently (a single turbo) is electronically actuated. Did this new engine operate with a twin turbo or single vacuum turbo?
In the wiring loom I have one pin missing (going to trace where this goes this morning) its pin 10 in the plug that's next to the ECU plug. (pic attached, 3rd from left bottom row, below the HI in DELPHI)

How hard is this going to be to make it work? Either swapping the old wiring loom and turbo control onto the new engine, or adapting the new loom to work with the old engine, and am I going to need a new style turbo? (planning on getting a new turbo anyway, to keep it closer on wear to the engine miles)

Last questions, where is the best place to get a pinout of the ECU? Google keeps turning up a variation of results.

Lots of questions but if anyone has any input that would be amazing!

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_190554.jpg
    IMG_20210402_190554.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 3
I would of used the new engine but as a bear unit and put everything from your old engine onto the new one. That way there would be no messing around with anything as it would be a straight swap.

Can you get the reg or vin of the crashed van?

You'll need to keep to whatever turbo set up your van is, so swap the hole the manifold and turbo from the old engine. Otherwise the ECU will not be able to control the turbo without extra work.

I would of used the new engine but as a bear unit and put everything from your old engine onto the new one. That way there would be no messing around with anything as it would be a straight swap.
Thats exactly what im doing now, gona end up swapping loom and all i think!

Can you get the reg or vin of the crashed van?

You'll need to keep to whatever turbo set up your van is, so swap the hole the manifold and turbo from the old engine. Otherwise the ECU will not be able to control the turbo without extra work.
Thats exactly what i have discovered, Probs easier than remapping and ECU thats a whole new mess to try and battle with! A duel turbo would of been a nice upgrade.

Gona try and get a direct replacement for my current turbo reconditioned!

Thats exactly what i have discovered, Probs easier than remapping and ECU thats a whole new mess to try and battle with! A duel turbo would of been a nice upgrade.

What about getting the loom, ECU, ezs and key from the van in the scrappy? Then fitting it as a twin turbo lump, a bit of coding may be required afterwards but might be easy enough for someone with mercedes star/xentry

Get your own turbo checked/reconditioned or a hybrid turbo would gain better results than the twin set up.

The injectors/ high pressure pump may be different between the single and twin turbo inlets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom