OM651 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sweeper

Car
Vito 116cdi, 2011 R Class 350cdi 4matic, Mitsubishi Outlander, Viano 2.2
So I was just thinking about the engine in my Viano which has done 321,000miles and as far as I can see has had no work done on it, apart from ancillaries like water pump, alternator and recently an a/c compressor, it runs sweet enough but is probably a bit down on power compared to my Vito with the same engine (163bhp) although difficult to tell as the Viano weighs more and is an automatic, it is also quite thirsty in comparison, I got it cheap so factored I may need to replace or repair the engine. The thing is it runs well, starts as good as new and so far I haven’t even had to top the oil up, don’t do huge mileage and I’m tempted just to keep running it with the risk something might fail resulting in terminal damage, has anyone got experience of this engine with high mileage, what might I expect in the next 40,000 miles.

Engines with high mileages usually have history of regular servicing on time, good lubricants fuel and coolant changes and a lot of running at optimum operating temperature and conservative rpms.
@321,000 miles it would be interesting to compare its poweroutput/ fuel efficiency/emissions with a similar low mileage example, posing the question when does an engine really become worn out-at present that's often defined as when it stops running after mechanical failure?

I agree, the timing chain was the concern but I’m told they usually give warning before any damage occurs, having said that if I’m halfway across Europe and it starts rattling would I dare continue, the other side is that sometimes things are best left alone. The company Vito dual liner has only 72000 and is much better on fuel especially on shorter runs, the Viano makes up some ground on long runs managing around 36mpg whereas similar runs in the Vito manage 40mpg and if taken steady I have seen 45mpg but I’m talking runs of 300 plus miles on motorway, the Vito achieves this on shorter runs suggesting the Viano is much worse from cold and shorter journeys, if you are doing 60 miles it is often around 31 or less if it’s head wind, but it is heavier being longer with more seats and other equipment and it is auto and lower geared in top, similar to driving the Vito in 5th gear, the Viano will still go over 100mph but is then revving quite hard, low down power feels a little less sharp in the higher mileage one and this could be injectors or just general wear.

Why did I buy high mileage? Cost of course, 2014 Viano for 6k, so about 5k less than one with 200k and 10k less than one with 50-100k, ok so I spent a bit getting it up to my standard, probably around £1500 for a new radiator, condenser, cooling fan, service, rear handbrake shoes couple of lower ball joints, I had to repair rear side window motor mechanism and wiper motor, new tyres, tracking checked and adjusted, and then had to put an a/c compressor on which was annoying as it only needed a control valve which I couldn’t get from anywhere, the a/c was intermittent and gave poor performance sometimes with a delayed cooling effect. All it needs now is front shocks as they feel a bit loose at times, the wheels need refurbishing, and there is a little bit of paint needed if I was really fussy, it’s great for all the kids and we’ve already done one trip to mainland Europe last August.

Just to update. the Viano has now done 341000miles, if anything it runs better now than it did, i had a leaky fuel injector so had all 4 replaced, followed by a new dpf pressure differential sensor and a forced regen of the dpf, I also thin MB did an ecu update last time it went in, it feels better low down but maybe not so quick at the top end of the rpm, but it still runs really well, uses no oil or coolant, best mpg on a run =40mpg, usual around mid thirties, I never got the front shocks done but they haven't got any worse, wheels i did get done but since have suffered a bit of damage thanks to kerb on the left and a Jaguar ipace on the right. i've had my moneys worth out of her now so any more is a bonus.

Go to the 229.52 oil, I've noticed an improvement in quietness. Consumption not really any different.

I don't think you can expect an auto to perform as a manual, or see similar consumption. We have to pay for the laziness.

Interesting you feel it's better low down after MB have updated the ECU. I wouldn't have trusted that to not screw consumption, and even power. For that reason I've ignored their recall requests.

Mine is at 183k miles. Best average I would expect at 58mph cruising on a good run would be a tad over 40mpg.
Mid 30's and lower if I'm on shorter runs.

I dislike the thermostat set up that can cause it to be 15 miles and more prior to reaching 80+ engine temp'. I replaced with genuine and no difference.
I feel faster to temp' and consumption would be better. I may disconnect the heater bulb within the 'stat at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom