OM651 oil pressure switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattdavey

Car
2013 w212 amg sport
I have 2 questions of anyone could be so kind to help me out.

I have an oil leak from around the oil filter housing, had the filter housing seals replaced twice but the leak is still present. Now I’m wondering if it’s coming from the pressure switch just underneath.

Can you just buy an o-ring for the pressure switch?

how do you remove the pressure switch?

Thanks
Matt

No I still haven’t done it. The leak seems to have slowed right down, not dripping on the drive anymore anyway. I’d still like to do it. How was it to do? Any tips?

You can just get an o ring but I changed the whole thing for £50 as there are 2 seals on it. I can link a company on ebay who I got mine from if you need.

You need to take the alternator belt off, undo and move to the side the air con unit but keep pipes attached, undo and move to one side the power steering bottle keeping the pipes connected. Then you can get to the oil pressure switch. I used a 1 and 11/16ths socket which is around a 44mm socket ( its big ). I had to borrow it from a garage around the corner. Open the oil filter first before removing the switch as it releases pressure and the oil down to the sump so it doesn't pour out the switch. Re build is reverse but its very awkward getting the air con back on. All torxs bolts. Its a simple strip and rebuild but you need varying extension bars. EBay has good hints as the bolts are hidden in some places so search for part that you take off to see where bolts are I.e power steering bottle.

Where abouts are you?

And what year and model are you working on?

Brilliant. Thanks for the help. Can I ask why you changed it? Was it leaking? Mines a 2013 e220

Ive done my oil filter housing seals twice now too. Once with genuine seals and the second time with thicker seals. Also changed the oil filter housing the first time.

The thread above was last weekend with both sumps which was a bit of a job but it seams to have given me results

Yesterday i did the oil pressure switch and that seams to have been the last one to do. I do think that the oil was coming out of the three places but when i removed the switch it looks like the oil was coming out of the black part around the outside where it will be factory sealed. I have had it years ago with a vectra that I owned that the oil was pouring out of the electrical connection on the switch so did think it could be a possibility.

This was the one I bought from the same company. Send them your vin and they will confirm its for your car. It was here within 2 days.

If you look at the blue seal I think you can just buy that seal but there is another one on the unit under the blue one ( a square black one ) that I dont think you can buy. They seam to create the seal together but I've never seen this set up.

I would imagine it will be the socket that will be the struggle for you as you cant get anything else in there! Lucky my neighbour knew the owner of the garage so he went and got it for me. Might find a second hand one on ebay. I had to tap it on as it was a little small but will do the job!

Thanks Brian. I’m a hgv mechanic so tools arnt an issue. Can you remember the size of the socket?
Yes it was a 1" and 11/16th AF. Socket which is 42.8mm so a 43mm should do it as the AF one just needed a little tap on.

Attachments

• 20201113_121305.jpg
    20201113_121305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Hi there,
Just started on my car,same job to replace the seals on pil filter housing,was a lot of oil coming from there, i am not sure,i believe is a leak around oil pressure sensor as well.
Is not an easy job,to do it again.
I wonder if you manage to find an replace the seals only on the pressure sensor.

I done the injectors,the big oil leak comes from oil filter housing,is a painful job,and i don't want to take a risk ,so i want to replace the seals on the sensor as well.
Some people advertise to put teflon tape around the thread,if someone knows the blue o ring description,i would much appreciate.

Attachments

• received_350354221371493.jpeg
    received_350354221371493.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom