OM651 Volume

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenroads

Car
W204 220CDi AMG Sport +
Is the 220 CDi generally loud in a C Class? I am told it is...but it just seems ridiculous that Mercedes would release a 'luxury' car with an engine that sounds worse than a van! My Boss has an E300 Hybrid and wants to change it due to the engine noise...

I have already found the intake pipe, ECU plug and engine cover rattling and fixed them which has helped but while driving it just sounds so unrefined...it does have Solenoid injectors being a 2013 and I dont think its timing chain related due to my previous paranoia of owning an N47 powered BMW...

How do other owners find theirs?

Bearing in mind I have run dozens of diesel cars and traded in for the Merc a Citroen DS5 Hybrid powered by the excellent 2.0 HDi that you could barely hear at idle, I used to run a 2004 Cit C5 for work that went with 170k on the clock and also ran quietly.

Its the only thing annoying me about this otherwise wonderful car! It has 84k on the clock and has been serviced 5 times by MB in the last 3 years, the last one 300 miles ago.

Is the 220 CDi generally loud in a C Class? I am told it is...but it just seems ridiculous that Mercedes would release a 'luxury' car with an engine that sounds worse than a van! My Boss has an E300 Hybrid and wants to change it due to the engine noise...

How can I break this to you gently------ its a van engine :eek:--- well at least it's an engine shared with many Mercedes Commercial vehicles. ;) Want a refined Mercedes Diesel? You need to buy the V6. :thumb:

ps I did find using a cetane enhancing fuel additive such as Millars eco max http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=227&sector=Car or the higher cetane rated diesel pump fuels quietened things down a bit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom