Omega Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
After much indecision and various test drives (inc. X5, facelift ML270, facelift 300RX etc.) my Dad finally has bought a tidy looking 99 Omega Elite 3.0 Estate for a fraction of his planned budget. Its fully loaded with a crude sat nav, phone prewire and xenons. I think he's daft, but he paid peanuts for it - lot of car for little money.

Anyone ever had one and is there anything to look out for?

Ade

yes look out for the old bill.
Something to do with burglars/dodgy characters using omegas

The V6 lumps are pretty bullet proof and are used in a wide range of Vauxhall / Opel / GM applications.

Cam belt checking is a MUST as when these snap they go pretty spectacularly, and I do believe the oil cooler can fail on them, which is an OK, but messy job to do.

Overall though, as you say, a lot of car for bugger all money.

Nice choice.

We had a 99V Omega 2.5 CD - fantastic car. Still miss it.

I can't believe we sold it, can't rate it high enough.

Every time it kicked down, it felt like I was starring in my own version of Police, Camera, Action.

I saw a Senator 24v today, and it got me thinking I should look in the Autotrader to see how much they are these days.

I had an Omega V6 a few years ago - Estate - loved it! was an dream to drive and went like stink!! Talk about roomy too. Super car :rock:

Very under rated car....... should have done better in sales but the badge snobbery got to it like the Ford Granada / Scorpio

Cheers all, was hoping to rib him mercilessly, but it looks like he made a sensible choice. I think Mum has earmarked the remainder of the unspent cash for a replacement for her focus :rolleyes: ;)

Ade

I remember an uncle had an Omega for a couple of years. Very fuel efficient as he mainly moved it about on the back of a tow truck !!

Nice choice.

We had a 99V Omega 2.5 CD - fantastic car. Still miss it.

I can't believe we sold it, can't rate it high enough.

Every time it kicked down, it felt like I was starring in my own version of Police, Camera, Action.

I saw a Senator 24v today, and it got me thinking I should look in the Autotrader to see how much they are these days.

Senators don't fetch much at all, my dad used to have one, a great car. Hmmm, got me thinking too. :)

Dad's had a '00 Omega 2.5 CD for five years now, they're such underrated cars. The V6 engines are excellent.

I remember an uncle had an Omega for a couple of years. Very fuel efficient as he mainly moved it about on the back of a tow truck !!

Ouch!! :eek:

The Plod seemed to like them :p

Dad had a 2.5 CD (or something) as a company car in the 90's which he then bought when he retired, ran it to over 100k and got rid of a few years back.

The car gave him no grief except for the AC packed in early on and bits of interior trim seemed to fall off it unprovoked.. oh and the trip computer packed in... I broke the electric sunroof... and my Mum backed it into a lamp post...

Aside from that it was fine. :rolleyes:

Ade

Dad had a 2.5 CD (or something) as a company car in the 90's which he then bought when he retired, ran it to over 100k and got rid of a few years back.

The car gave him no grief except for the AC packed in early on and bits of interior trim seemed to fall off it unprovoked.. oh and the trip computer packed in... I broke the electric sunroof... and my Mum backed it into a lamp post...

Aside from that it was fine. :rolleyes:

Ade

PMSL :D :D

I also had an Omega 2.5CD estate auto, very nice car. As mentioned, look out for the crank sensor, cam belt changes and the diff can also weep oil. Changing the back spark plugs can be tricky!

Very under rated car....... should have done better in sales but the badge snobbery got to it like the Ford Granada / Scorpio

The ford scorpio did not sell because it was the ugliest car on the market.
Just like the multipla . brilliant concept, good car. did not sell

The ford scorpio did not sell because it was the ugliest car on the market.
Just like the multipla . brilliant concept, good car. did not sell
True... what I meant was GM & Ford just can't compete in this sector -- Citroen are trying ....but will fail...Bottom line is MB / BMW / Volvo have this sector well stitched up.... status is all..:cool:

Well I saw the car in the flesh today and had a little tootle round some bendy roads and the A500.

Its not bad for the money. Noisy tick over on a cold start and a few blisters on the arches and scuffs to the plastics. Aside from that fairly tidy.

Comfy, smooth and quiet if a bit roly poly in the bends. The driver's door feels about half the weight of the CE but the steering makes the CE feel like the barge it is.

My Dad can't decide what to do with it (spend a little and get it up to scratch or run it into the ground as is) - he still keeps going on about the RX300 :rolleyes:

Should have bought an MB

Ade

I had a V6 elite estate for 4 year, 160k miles. Only problem was the water pump failed at 90k.

Scariest thing was realising I'd left some gear in the back I needed for a gig. Went to the dealer (where said cam belts were being done) who sent me through to the workshop - looked like everything under the bonnet was on the floor!

I'd have another one again tomorrow for Mrs E....

Water pumps are a weak point on Vauxhalls.

I had the waterpumps changed when the cambelt was changed on our Omega and Astra Coupe Turbo. No extra labout - just cost of the part.

Good tip for Vauxhall owners!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom