OMG there's nothing like a big supercharged V8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LooneyLeon

Car
C200K
I must say I still can't tell you how much I love my car, it's totally crazy, the noise, the Power, the instant torque, the street cred, the build quality, i just love it.

What a car, just be careful out there lol.

oh its a CLS55 AMG. :eek:)

The only problem with V8's is you have to put a lot of petrol in them.

The only problem with V8's is you have to put a lot of petrol in them.

Yep and they like to test the integrity of their seals on a regular basis.

Enjoy the car and ignore the comments :D

The e55 gets my vote

CLS55 is a lovely car. What power do they make stock? Only thing that puts me off old 55's is the old slow shifting transmission they have and a v slow manual mode.

Any common faults to look out for on the supercharged 55s?

CLS55 is a lovely car. What power do they make stock? Only thing that puts me off old 55's is the old slow shifting transmission they have and a v slow manual mode.

Any common faults to look out for on the supercharged 55s?

470ish at the fly stock, great engine lots of info on here.

469bhp don't worry about the shift speed, there's so much torque..

I find manual mode quite brutal, shifts are fast enough one learns to request the shift a little ahead of the need and then, bang, next gear.

The 55k engine is pretty much bullet-proof, check the cam covers for oil seepage nothing serious.

476 bhp for CLS I believe vs 469 for E55...something to do with different exhaust. Certainly sounds better.

Well I've had my cls 55 AMG for over 3 years and love it. Tried buying something else on many occasions but nothing out there satisfies my needs the way this AMG does. The noise and the drama that entails it are just awesome. Love mine to bits and will carry on enjoying it. Maintenance wise they are not that bad if you stay on top of things. Fuel wise I've never bothered about mpg figures, if I did I would buy a hybrid. For those who have got the cls 55 AMG enjoy it lads

image-3186200315.jpg

Last edited:
469bhp don't worry about the shift speed, there's so much torque..

I find manual mode quite brutal, shifts are fast enough one learns to request the shift a little ahead of the need and then, bang, next gear.

The 55k engine is pretty much bullet-proof, check the cam covers for oil seepage nothing serious.

Have to admit - manual mode is very rapid !!

Well I've had my cls 55 AMG for over 3 years and love it. Tried buying something else on many occasions but nothing out there satisfies my needs the way this AMG does. The noise and the drama that entails it are just awesome. Love mine to bits and will carry on enjoying it. Maintenance wise they are not that bad if you stay on top of things. Fuel wise I've never bothered about mpg figures, if I did I would buy a hybrid. For those who have got the cls 55 AMG enjoy it lads

View attachment 60032

Any airmatic issues yet mate ?

Lenny63 said:
Any airmatic issues yet mate ?
hello Lenny no airmatic issues. The only issues I've had is alternator, battery, ic pump, battery module, cats were ****ed due to the AA man messing the car up and engine mounts with an oil sensor playing up. But this is over three years of ownership and which the warranty company paid out for most of the items apart from the engine mounts.

Cats seen to be a weak point - my secondaries are rattling around like a coin in a bean can

Want to get a trip over to MSL to do a remap/ pulley and exhaust at some stage next year - woop woop

476 bhp for CLS I believe vs 469 for E55...something to do with different exhaust. Certainly sounds better.

Both the same.

The power difference you highlight is the difference between BHP and PS (pferdestärke) - PS being the more accurate measurement.

Think the difference in power is between the SL55 and E and CLS, the SL has a better flowing exhaust and thus a tad more power.

I wouldn't worry about MB marketing and stated power.

Mine was running around 510BHP standard and Renntech once stated that most produce more than claimed - much in the same way as the current E63s.

Marketing way back when pushed the SL, CLS and S above the E because they cost more but the reality is different.

I wouldn't worry about MB marketing and stated power.

Mine was running around 510BHP standard and Renntech once stated that most produce more than claimed - much in the same way as the current E63s.

Marketing way back when pushed the SL, CLS and S above the E because they cost more but the reality is different.

There does seem to be a general rule that manufacturers quote the guaranteed minimum nowadays and you're actually unlucky if you get one that produces what it says on the tin.

The 55 engine certainly is something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom