On a Sunny Day Like Today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
...after nearly 15 years of driving, someone piles into the back of me.

Firstly, I'm okay. The Merc needs a new rear bumper, and I think that's about it - certainly the boot looks fine, still locks, and the panel gaps look the same - I waxed it Saturday so I saw the gaps pretty close up.

The other car however, was not so lucky. An M reg Metro is now written off - the front of it was a right old mess, spewing coolant everywhere. I'm amazed actually - given I saw the state of his car first as I got out I thought "Oh sh**", then I saw mine. Loads of grazes and scratches on the bumper, but otherwise fine.

I think its a testament to these cars that we own that we can be involved in RTAs like this and walk away with no major damage. And its a car at the end of the day, it can be fixed. Or maybe not, in the case of the other poor bloke.

He took it really bad - I ended up consoling the poor sod and dialling his home number as he was shaking like a leaf. And he had no breakdown either so I left him with a mate sorting out the AA to tow him. Clearly his car wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Be safe out there, folks.

Greg (and a bruised E240)

Glad you are OK.

Oh dear.

Mind you I very nearly missed wiping out a mondeo or something yesterday when a lady decided to drive out of a junction right in front of me. I stood hard on the brakes and steered around her with the ABS kicked in. She had stopped right across the junction and I had to drive over the pavement to get around her (I was still braking so had no choice really! ) . I didn't bother to stop when I got around her, I just drove off. If I didn't think too much about it I could almost imagine it never happened. No-one was hurt and no damage was done etc. Then after I got home my dad drove into my car while it was parked on the driveway! He said he just nudged licence plates but I've not dared to look yet. what is it with people eh? Is my car invisible? *sigh*

if you look at the AA web site , they have the crash test results of all cars!

w202 had poor performance tho! :(

The guy who I bought my car from buys, sells and imports MB's as well as other makes and he was telling me about this guy who had an S Class.

He was driving down the M6 and fell asleep as it was 2 in the morning. The car hit the Central Barrier flipped over onto the opposite carriageway and came to a stop on the hard shoulder on its roof.

Obviously, car was a write off but the guy crawled out of the car with no more than bumps and bruises even though he'd rolled it a few times. Apparently, the mulitude of airbags saved him.

Greg
Can I say I am glad you are ok as it could be worst. But thanks for
the wicked laugh you gave me on reading your post.

The other car however, was not so lucky. An M reg Metro is now written off - the front of it was a right old mess, spewing coolant everywhere. I'm amazed actually - given I saw the state of his car first as I got out I thought "Oh sh**", then I saw mine. Loads of grazes and scratches on the bumper, but otherwise fine.

Thanks

GDC
Yes thanks for that. I have had a dead battery and been away on holidays so have not got around to it yet. Its on the list too with changing the plugs. Missed the GTG as couldn t get the car started and didn t want the to ask someone jump it at the GTG to get home. Oh well. Where did you buy yours and how much as I want to sort after I have polished the car on Sat?
Thanks

Greg I see that they have closed the Amazon site because of that.
What a bargain.
Cheers
Ian

Yeah, i was made aware of the cheap IPaqs just before midday, and fired off an order. Dunno if I'll get it for £7, but hey, worth a shot. A colleague ordered one, then ten, then twenty, then a hundred. So, if he's lucky, he'll be the proud owner of 131 IPaqs, for which he paid just over 900 quid. Full retail nearly forty grand - can't see it myself....love to though.

** UPDATE **

The car was assessed on the day of the accident, and all it needs is a new bumper. No other damage has occured (phew!).

The car is going to an Approved Repairer (its only a bumper) and the garage in question are used by the local MB dealer, so they know Mercs.

Amazingly, I got a call off the other guys insurance company earlier today - they have admitted liability (difficult not to) and are sending me my excess cheque today!! Result! They also asked me to keep them informed of any other out of pocket expenses that I might incur (is this modern day "ambulance chaser" avoidance I'm seeing here, gentlemen?)

So, good start to the weekend. Thanks to all for your messages of support.

Greg

Phaaa... Being hit by a mini or a metro is like a bee flying into a windscreen. Real men get hit by VANS :p

I had my shiny new black W203 C-Class (my first ever Merc.. awww) for 2 weeks when some a**hole in a van ploughed into the back of me with a very loud C..R..U..N..C..H. I thought "OH NOOOO... my nice new car" and got out prepared for the worst.

The first thing I saw was the front end of the Merc van that hit me, it had a great big V carved out in the front end, headlights, grill, bonnet, everything obliterated, so bracing myself for the sight of a smashed in boot and red transparent plastic on the ground, I turned round to look at my car........ and to my amazement.... Nothing except a small chip out of the bumper strip!!!! Structural integrity was later confirmed by MB workshop.

I am now totally smitten by Mercs, I had quite bad pains in my neck and upper back for about 2 weeks after it, but the fact that the car sustained such a forceful impact mostly unscathed is simply amazing.

Mercs :rock:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom