On average how long do you keep your car for?

On average how long do you keep your car for?

• <6 months

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 45 8.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 99 18.2%
  • 2-4 years

Votes: 196 36.0%
  • >5 years

Votes: 132 24.2%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 58 10.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Till I’m bored.

Normally until the Police catch me and I have to hand it back to the owner. :eek:

Modified 1986 911 Carrera (3.2 now a 3.4) over 17 years, it's a keeper and a use it 144k miles and counting.
2004 Honda CRV, family truck, taxi, transport to the dump, etc - owned from new under written off last year, 110k miles until I got rear ended!
As you see I tend to keep my cars, these two particular did/do their jobs extremely well.

SLK 350, 12 months into it, can see many many years service

Wife’s 2004 Honda for five years but a Uber taxi driver ran into it (while it was parked!) so it will probably be written off this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wife's Clio will be 20years old next year. It was a good buy - I held out for the cleanest, highest spec one hoping to be reasonably future proof but never expected to have it for 16 years+.

It still scrubs up amazingly well but is nearing the end. It recently failed the MOT on a wobbly handbrake mechanism & emissions that were slightly over the limit. Plus there's no a/c any more which is irritating. The end is nigh. But it's cost buttons to run and still drives well.

I have a ‘96 Camry that I’ve been driving as my first car for almost four years. It’s only got 124,000 miles and I plan on keeping it as long as it’s cheaper to fix than it is to buy a newer car. Which is probably going to be until the end of time. Sure it’s slow and old, but I still have a lot of fun driving it and working on it. Plus, it’s still a very modern and comfortable car. No reason to get rid of Kodi nox it.

wife's E350d coupe AMG pack coming up for 12 years ownership 74k miles from new..1990.280GE Gwagen had it 7 years so far..( im only its 3rd owner in 32 years) SL55AMG 03 had it 9 months... would only trade it and the Gwagen for a G55AMG

I'm a serial changer I'm afraid....one to two years being my average over my 37 years of driving....I often have had more than one car so I've owned somewhere between 30 and 40 cars....that's on top of all the company cars and the company pickup I run now. That said I've had my ALFA for just over four years....way more than any other car I've ever owned. So full of character and so good looking and super reliable even at the 166,000 miles I've now accrued. I get more people talking to me about it than the Mercs and BMWs and other quickish cars I've owned. I would think about keeping it along side my next car if it was a petrol model.....but its only Euro 5 emissions so not ULEZ compliant and I thing like is going to get financially tougher for heavy oil burners thanks to the tree huggers as time goes on...so she will go when I get my next Merc.....I will miss her.

Both cars now for over 10 years

51 cars now, so that’s less than a year each, on average.

But it varies, and convertible thirdcars skew the average

Unless you include my wife’s 15 as well…

Unless you include my wife’s 15 as well…
Unlike my frequent changing my wife has only had four cars in the 23 years we've been together.......but at least two were Merc....so 50%! She's had an Orion 1.6 Ghia, A Vauxhall Tigra (original hard top one), an SLK 230K (R170) and her A Class 170 (W169) she still has. As she's only done 60k miles in a 56 plate car and its pretty much mint and she does not like the current A Class I suspect the A170 will be around for some time yet!!!

Had the 440i for four years now and have no plans to replace it as it impresses me every time i drive it , was looking at an M4 but it will be £20k to get into one along with the increased insurance / servicing / running costs so i am not going to bother.

I have had the Cayenne almost two years now and would replace that before the BM , possibly with another Cayenne - a GTS this time , if the funds permit.

Wifey has zero interest in cars and has to be coerced into getting as new one every few tears , currently directing her into a leccy vehicle for her daily 6 mile commute - possibly a "Spring" when they are released in the UK next year as their sub £20k price point seems a bit more realistic compared to the competition.

K

Last edited:
Current Cars - CLK Cabrio = 3 years & S212 E Class = 7 Years
prior to that S211 E Class = 6 years
I do find myself keeping cars, however, I now starting to get an itch to get something new. Have looked at latest E Class Estate but prices have shot up. Now considering a Vito/V Class next.

During my 52 years of motoring I have owned 40 cars and had 31 company cars.
These figures are skewed by the fact I have always provided my wife with a car and sometimes I was getting through up to 3 company cars a year when working for manufactures.
Longest kept cars was seven years for a Lexus LS400, and Mercedes 124 estate and a Mercedes ML.
Shortest owned car was seven months: Volvo V90
Most valuable (and quickest!): my 'company' Jaguar XJ220 under development in 1991
Most trouble: Range Rover Vogue 4.4V8 in 2015
Best so far: My current Audi A8

SL400 - will be 7 years at the end of this year and no plans for it to go.
Audi S6 Avant - 4.5 years sold to by an EV
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo - 3 months (during which time it was useable for 10 days) - sold back to Porsche for more than I bought it for.

Should have kept the Audi...ho hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom