On buying a pair of jeans for myself.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
So, it's that time where I get thinking I could do with a new pair of jeans. No real urgency, the ones in the drawer still function as Mr Strauss intended. I just figured that maybe it was that time.

Now let me explain here. I am easy to fit in the trouser department with all my body parts fitting into the jean designers sketch book without the need for any special considerations or appendages. In the past I have bought on-line, finding tat I am such an 'average' specimen that the sixes stated usually fit me without any alteration to me or the jeans.

So, I arrive at the store with my wife and teenage daughters for support. Then I notice it. Every pair of jeans is (what I would consider to be) wonky!! They are made for people who presumably spend their days sat astride Clydesdale Horses. People who, if buried in these jeans would have to be buried in a coffin shaped like a banjo case. Whilst ideal for dads with younger children, seeking to gain and advantage in the primary school sports day, allowing their kids to run, full speed between dads legs!! These are no good for those of us who have legs that start at the hips and descend vertically down to the ankles, or (as I like to think) Human beings of the biped variety.

My daughters, clearly sensing an embarrassing dad outburst, insisted that I try on a pair of these wonky creations. Holy Moly they are actually built to force your legs into an Orangutan type gait. I emerged from the changing room talking and walking like Shaun Ryder on steroids.

In days of old I could have been winched up into the air then lowered straight onto my trusty steed, without the need to bend my legs.

What is going here people? Is this an attempt by the clothing manufacturers to turn back evolution so that we will once again all roam the planet with an ape like gait rocking from side to side as do?

Will we start to see hats that force out foreheads to slope forward and give us a monobrow. Maybe jumpers that have arm extensions allowing our knuckles to scrape along the ground.

I just wanted a pair of jeans that you put on without the need to have your legs surgically altered.

ebay remains my friend. My daughters are perplexed, but their jeans are not not sewn together around a Chinese Wok.

Just asking?

Last edited:
Try GANT, they make normal jeans for normal people.

Also Orvis, they have a store in Tenterden and Westerham or South Regent street if you happen to be in town.

I'm blessed with "rugby players" thighs and the current trend of drain pipe style is simply a non starter for me. I need straight cut.

Oh, and posted this previously.

Mrs Ted
Goes into shop.
Finds exactly the same jeans she bought last time.
Holds them up to the light.
Inspects them.
Decides they are smaller than they used to be.
Decides they may be a different colour.
Decides that they are definitely lower quality
Engages assistant in conversation about how different they are.
Sends assistant off to find trousers they haven't got.
Decides to keep jeans even though they are smaller and lesser quality.
Looks at all the other makes just in case there are some better ones.
Decides she needs a top to match.
Selects four tops and tries them all on.
Exits the changing room with each top on to seek Ted's opinion.
Decides she needs TWO tops.
Takes purchases to cashier.
Engages cashier in ten minute conversation about what suits her, what colours are best for her and how colours these days are SO dull.
Cashier is now Mrs Ted's best friend forever.
Tells Ted what a lovely woman she is and how we are always going to shop there in future.
Pays for purchase, whilst putting world to rights with new bff.
Goes through whole shop looking to see if there is anything else she needs.
Leaves shop.

Ted
Goes into shop, picks up same jeans as last time, pays, leaves.

Trapperjohn delights not to attend shopping with SWMBO, even food shopping. I have done it a couple of times and each time the shopping trolley would appear to need to be held by me "mid aisle" whilst SWMBO delves into something or other. What happens when trapper is not present I dread to think.

Trapperjohn is in raptures when daughter takes her mother to Trafford Centre for a "day out" shopping. This would be absolute purgatory for me. Both the (non) speed of walking and just general faff is beyond my very short fuse.

Oh and normal jeans that fit, when the hell did they become so expensive.

Picked out a nice pair of jeans in a shop the other day, went to try them on - Button fly!

Why? Give me a zip fly any day! Seems a backward step to me. At least I can now guess why some blokes (not that I've been watching) almost take their jeans off to stand and p*e, it must be as they can't undo and refasten their button fly with their belt fastened......

Picked out a nice pair of jeans in a shop the other day, went to try them on - Button fly!

Why? Give me a zip fly any day! Seems a backward step to me. At least I can now guess why some blokes (not that I've been watching) almost take their jeans off to stand and p*e, it must be as they can't undo and refasten their button fly with their belt fastened......

Never ever shake hands with a bloke a bloke wearing button fly trousers. Also avoid eating from the same peanut bowl at the bar as the same, said person.

Mrs Ted
Goes into shop.
Inspects them.
Engages cashier in ten minute conversation about what suits her, what colours are best for her and how colours these days are SO dull.
Tells Ted what a lovely woman she is and how we are always going to shop there in future.
Leaves shop.

Ted

Ted. Are you me?

Mrs Millar has turned Supermarket shopping into a 'spectator sport'

To me it is food, something I have to ingest occasionally during the day. To Mrs M, it is a wondrous thing of inestimable value, that takes her on a journey into far flung galaxies.

It is not a tin, to be lobbed in the trolley. No. It is a cherished possession that has to be studied, cradled in her hands, lifted up to the light and gently rotated in the glow from the fridge. The ancient scrolls displayed on the labels have to be deciphered and decoded into a woman's speak. The contents have to tested in a shaking ritual that would get most blokes arrested. The weight examined by comparison with another tin. The tin at the front will be ritually discarded in favour of the tin at the rear at which point the entire pre-sale ritual starts again.

I have been known to do the entire weekly shop on my own returning to base to find Mrs M still stood rooted to the spot staring in wonder at the first can of food she picked up when we entered the shop.

You can buy them with ready made holes in the knees and A*se, the magnificence of progress

Charity shop jeans for me.

£3 a pair, no holes in the knees either.

Mrs Ted
Goes into shop.
Inspects them.
Leaves shop.

Ted

This is exactly the same for Mrs PMP except the next day she decides that she likes none of it and takes it all back !

Hollister had jeans (of apparently normal human fit) for £14.99 the other day.

A bargain considering how fashionable the shop is....or maybe they're not anymore....what would I know at my age?

At least you get to letch at all the bendy women working there.....

Straight fit Levi 501's (button fly) or 505's if you prefer a zip. Proper mans jeans :thumb:

If anyone is going to the U.S £25-30 a pair

Levi 501s get my vote, 5 times in actual fact. Three pairs for normal wearing, a white pair for when I am on holiday and a gardening pair that have more holes in them than a colander.
I understand Bruce's comments about not shaking hands with a guy with button fly jeans but we do, or most do I hope, wash our hands after peeing regardless of accidents or not!

Bloke from the North has a trip round Buckingham Palace.

He goes to spend a penny but forgets to wash his hands. A flunky on duty in the gents reminds him thus. "In the South Sir, we wash our hands after going to the toilet.

Northern bloke replies "In the North we dont piss on our hands"

I'll get me coat.

I buy all my jeans online from Jeanscene, great prices and they normally have all the jeans in all the sizes and fit.

You wouldn't have said that fifteen years ago. :rock:

You mean i was a woman back then?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom