on resume...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Hi guys, IT Gurus, etc.,

Work have recently bought me a brand new laptop to replace the stone tablet and abacus that I had been using previously. :cool: All is perfect apart from one very minor, trivial niggle.

When I set the screensaver, the option for security is "on resume, password protect". I would like this option to be like my personal home laptop which is "on resume, display Welcome screen". Obviously, I have followed the advice given to nebwies in that under my manage user accounts section I have both 'Use the Welcome Screen' & 'Use Fast User Switching' check boxes checked, hence active.

Try as I might I can't get the OS (XP Home - SP2) to switch back to the user Welcome screen from the screen saver, it prefers instead the 2000'esque password dialog box. A quick trawl through 'tinternet reveals that this has been a common problem for quite a few people. I've read about tweaks to the registery involving the deletion of a key, the 'ASPNET' key in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Trouble is, I've had a quick peek and no sign of this key on my system registry.

So is there any solution to my minor niggle, other than creating another user account that I will never use? All answers on a postcard to... :p

In every other respect this new lappy is gorgeous :cool: It's a 17" Sony VAIO VGN-A217M. 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD+/-R/RW, Centrino with Wifi & Bluetooth but the best bit is the screen, total wow factor. X-Black LCD's rock! :rock:

TIA,

S.

Could be completely off the mark here, but has your work laptop been configured to be part of a domain? If so, you wouldn't normally get the XP welcome screen, just the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen (or some officious legal warning, depending on if they've set any policies!)

I've never tried to use the welcome screen with a PC in a domain, so not sure if it can even be done....

Steve,

I am running XP Pro, and I have this key on my machine. As for the rest - a little too busy to look at the moment, but might get some time later tonight.

BTW nice machine - almost got one myself, but now that I am carrying it around everywhere, I am glad went for a smaller machine. X-Black is the best although the reflective screen isn't something I could handle at home as I can see all of the downlights in the ceilng behind me! :)

I arranged one of those Sony 20" wide screen desktop all in one machines for a friend last night. Very impressive machine, with X-Black screen!

Ed,

The PC isn't registered to a domain, it's configured to be part of a workgroup, so I don't think it can be that, thanks for the input though.

Scott,

I'm running Home not Pro so maybe that's why I don't have that particular key? Again, thanks for the feedback. I am beginning to think that if I really want this feature I'm going to have to create a phantom unused user account.

Yup, I am really enjoying this new PC, the screen is the biggest asset by far and the build quality as a whole is very impressive, it feels very solid, nicely designed and well put together/integrated. The programming/development work that I do is a joy now on this PC because of the large clear screen, I can see all my code on a page at once rather than having to scroll around. :D

S.

you can toggle the logon screen on windows between : Ctrl+alt+delete and the welcome screen

click on start , click on run and type : control userpasswords2

this will being up user accounts. click on the advanced tab and at the bottom you can turn off the ctrl+alt+delete functionality

if you like ... :D

Thanks fuzzer, I thought that this maybe the solution but the check-box is unchecked. Thus the ctrl+alt+delete functionality is already disabled.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom