On the correct choice of reading matter for train journeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got there by another, slow, route.

20247956_10211071912847683_146872523472195155_o.jpg

Marvellous cars.

V8 coupe or that beautiful blue two owner V12 ?

Last edited:
A dark coloured e300d estate, w124 flavoured?

Too easy CCAALLVVIINN.

It's very nice being back in a proper W124. Adding all that I have owned or been loaned, it's my eighth W124.

Lovely comfortable thing, rides beautifully. Gearbox needs the K1 springs done and a fiddle with the vacuum modulator, steering idler and possibly track rods, and most likely prop doughnut, centre bearing and diff oil seals. Apart from that and a couple of easily removable small dings, it is showing next to no evidence of its 220k miles. A credit to its 4 owners since 1996.

Last edited:
It was your thanks on the bottom of the classified ad that gave it away, i imagine it's a lovely car, right spec right colour, enjoy

That's why it was too easy. I was hoping the silver star on the airbag (only on very late W124s) would throw the usual suspects off the scent...

That's why it was too easy. I was hoping the silver star on the airbag (only on very late W124s) would throw the usual suspects off the scent...
There's a story about the W124 silver star airbags. At one point there was problem with a batch of 90's W124 airbags going off prematurely. This was evidently due to damp getting into the squib material causing some to spontaneously deploy. [ happened mainly in climates with high humidity] These could readily be identified as they had plain embossed stars the same colour/finish as the the rest of the airbag. Their replacements had silver stars! :thumb: The only reason I know this because my Jan 96 W124 COUPE was subject to a factory recall on this very matter!!
Perhaps worthy of note that all such pyrotechnic devices airbags/seat belt tensioners etc have a projected life of 10-15 years before a question mark has to arise as to their remaining functionality? :dk:

No idea when the airbag was done, but having driven numerous old cars, at least one without even seatbelts, I'll live with the risk...

Wish my '97 SL had a chrome star on the airbag - would improve the wheel significantly IMHO.

Someone seems to have found an interesting book:D
36025950885_e75277b94d_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

There's a story about the W124 silver star airbags. At one point there was problem with a batch of 90's W124 airbags going off prematurely. This was evidently due to damp getting into the squib material causing some to spontaneously deploy. [ happened mainly in climates with high humidity] These could readily be identified as they had plain embossed stars the same colour/finish as the the rest of the airbag. Their replacements had silver stars! :thumb: The only reason I know this because my Jan 96 W124 COUPE was subject to a factory recall on this very matter!!
Perhaps worthy of note that all such pyrotechnic devices airbags/seat belt tensioners etc have a projected life of 10-15 years before a question mark has to arise as to their remaining functionality? :dk:

So was mine or one of them was - the other wasn't, probably more to do with Dealer sloppiness than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom