On the hunt for a C63...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GreetMe

Car
Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG
Hello. :cool:

Many moons ago I had a W211 E55. I've worked my way through various other cars since then, the latest being a Mk7 Golf R. It's a very capable car - it does lots of things well - but the engine is utterly soulless so I find myself being drawn back to lovely German V8s.

The current shortlist is a W204 C63, E90 M3 or B8 RS4. The only one I haven't test driven is the BMW but I'm told you have to wring its neck to get the best out of it which wouldn't suit my driving style at all.

The Audi had a lovely interior and gearbox and it sounded good but it didn't really seem to do much at low revs.

I didn't get on with the C63's gearbox at all but I'm willing to have another crack at it and see if it's as bad as I remember (or maybe just learn how to get the best out of it).

This one caught my eye:
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG PERFORMANCE PACK 14K OPTIONS FMBSH 6.2 5dr

The trader gets good reviews and the car looks like a very nice spec. I've had a word with them this morning. They're confirming service details, head bolt status and brake condition later today but everything seems to check out so far. It seems suspiciously cheap for the spec, though.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :thumb:

Will your budget stretch to a facelift car? Gearbox is different so might seal the deal for you.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Will your budget stretch to a facelift car? Gearbox is different so might seal the deal for you.
It might but it would probably have to be a high-miler and/or lower spec. £25k is about as high as I can go.

It's not that cheap it's up on the miles at 80k, new front discs and pads are approx £850.

It's not that cheap it's up on the miles at 80k, new front discs and pads are approx £850.
They're being vague about the condition of the brakes. Am I right in thinking that the PP C63 had composite brakes?

Are you specifically after an estate?? I have a saloon that I'm thinking of selling. Very similar spec but known history.

Your stated budget won't stretch to a decent B8 either, so that will narrow your search even further.
Based on that, the fact I've owned all three cars listed plus, your dislike of the 63's gearbox, I'd go for the M3.....

They're being vague about the condition of the brakes. Am I right in thinking that the PP C63 had composite brakes?

The brakes are aluminium hats / bells and steel rotors, not to be confused with carbon composite.

I have just purchased a 2010 C63 AMG saloon with Performance Pack and find that the gearbox is excellent, with quick, smooth changes, 2 auto settings - sport and comfort and of course the manual override and steering wheel mounted paddles.

The brakes are also very good but not cheap when they need replacing, but that is par for the course with most high performance cars.

The one you have linked to is priced about right imo as its an estate (less popular) and the mileage is on the high side compared to others of a similar age.

Last edited:
Are you specifically after an estate?? I have a saloon that I'm thinking of selling. Very similar spec but known history.
An estate would be ideal but I'd also consider a saloon. Can you PM me details/pics? :thumb:

Your stated budget won't stretch to a decent B8 either, so that will narrow your search even further.
Based on that, the fact I've owned all three cars listed plus, your dislike of the 63's gearbox, I'd go for the M3.....
Thank you. What are your thoughts about the M3 needing revs to make decent progress? One of the big attractions of the C63 is the accessible torque.

The brakes are aluminium hats / bells and steel rotors, not to be confused with carbon composite.

I have just purchased a 2010 C63 AMG saloon with Performance Pack and find that the gearbox is excellent, with quick, smooth changes, 2 auto settings - sport and comfort and of course the manual override and steering wheel mounted paddles.

The brakes are also very good but not cheap when they need replacing, but that is par for the course with most high performance cars.

The one you have linked to is priced about right imo as its an estate (less popular) and the mileage is on the high side compared to others of a similar age.
Very useful info. Thank you. So yours is pre-facelift, is that right? My biggest issue with the gearbox was the delay between paddle press and downshift. It was a 20-minute test drive so it's entirely possible that the fault is mine in not knowing how to operate it effectively.

Just noticed that one. :thumb:

An estate would be ideal but I'd also consider a saloon. Can you PM me details/pics? :thumb:

Thank you. What are your thoughts about the M3 needing revs to make decent progress? One of the big attractions of the C63 is the accessible torque.

Very useful info. Thank you. So yours is pre-facelift, is that right? My biggest issue with the gearbox was the delay between paddle press and downshift. It was a 20-minute test drive so it's entirely possible that the fault is mine in not knowing how to operate it effectively.

Just noticed that one. :thumb:

Yes, mine is pre facelift with a full dealership service history and I don't notice a long delay on mine on downshifts. It is important that the gearbox fluid and filter is changed on these (not sealed for life). Also if it has been standing around for sale for a while and the fluid not properly warmed up, this could contribute to slightly tardy shifting.

Yes, mine is pre facelift with a full dealership service history and I don't notice a long delay on mine on downshifts. It is important that the gearbox fluid and filter is changed on these (not sealed for life). Also if it has been standing around for sale for a while and the fluid not properly warmed up, this could contribute to slightly tardy shifting.
:thumb:

I don't notice a long delay on mine on downshifts.
I don't think its a long delay as such, with my old pre facelift C63 it just wasn't quick enough.
You would press the paddle, then car would think about shifting, and then shift.

You will struggle to get a RS4 for £25, but gotta say they are really really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom