On the hunt for an E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WelshBoa

Car
Audi A4
Hello All,

I am looking to buy an E Class around the 2011-2014 year bracket. Have around 10k to spend, accepting I will be getting a vehicle with anywhere upto 100k mileage on it.

I have done quite a lot of reading on some of the review sites etc but am a little confused and want some clarification if possible.

My understanding was there were facelifts in 2012 and 2014, but have seen some inconsistencies in this. I would be very limited in what I could afford in the 2014 year, but have read on other sites the facelift was on the 13/63 plate? Was this when the trim level went to just SE or Sport (and AMG variation)

I am not fussed on either a saloon or estate but want some comfort for some rather tall teenage children. I have seen some nice motors within the above parameters but would prefer to get as new as possible in terms of any engine or aesthetic upgrades.

Thanks for your help.

Do not rely on year of make/registration as there is an overlap of pre/post facelift cars.

Easiest way to spot a facelift car is single headlight. Prefacelift had a four square lights. Prefacelift is squarer looking than the curvier front end of the facelifted cars.

Petrol or diesel? What size engine? What spec are you looking for in terms of options?

There were minor changes during the production run of both the pre-facelift and facelift cars. As a general rule, the later ones of each type are better (although the differences are generally minor and mostly relate to telematics).

There was a fairly significant change to the V6 diesel in the 2011 model year, with the power output increasing from 232bhp to 265bhp plus a change from the 7g to 7g+ gearbox which, combined, reduced CO2 emissions and lowered fuel consumption. Not really relevant if you're going for a 4-pot diesel though. However...

I would say that a 2011 or 2012 pre-facelift V6 with 265bhp in Avantgarde spec is pretty much the sweet spot of the range. Excellent refinement, decent amount of standard kit, reasonable economy and enough go to make them fun.

There was a fairly significant change to the V6 diesel in the 2011 model year, with the power output increasing from 232bhp to 265bhp plus a change from the 7g to 7g+ gearbox which, combined, reduced CO2 emissions and lowered fuel consumption. Not really relevant if you're going for a 4-pot diesel though. However...

Not quite as clear-cut as that. My 2010 car was 265bhp and 7g+ gearbox, yet some 2011 ones were 231.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but is the enhancement you mention above only available on the 3l engine rather than 2.2? (Not sure which engines are 4 pot lol)

Also does the Avangarde have a better spec than the SE on the facelift model?

Thanks

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but is the enhancement you mention above only available on the 3l engine rather than 2.2?
No need to apologise about asking for clarification.

The power increase is unique to the V6. The 4-pot cars also got the 7g+ gearbox (previously the 5-speed was used), but later than the V6. ISTR it was from late 2011 build, but it could have been later. They were definitely using the 7g+ 'box on the 4-pot diesels by April 2012.
Also does the Avangarde have a better spec than the SE on the facelift model?
I think "different" is more accurate than "better". For example, the Avantgarde pre-facelift car had the Intelligent Light System and leather upholstery, while the facelift SE got partial LED headlamps (dumb, not ILS) and Artico upholstery, but did get Collision Prevention Assist that's missing from the pre-facelift car.

I currently drive an E350 CDi Avantgarde. It's a Model Year 2011 and has the 265bhp V6 engine. It's well-spec'd and the engine is as sweet as a nut. I easily get mid-40s mpg on a steady m-way cruise. On occasions if there's nothing around and I'm in no hurry, I run it at 50mph and get 60+ mpg.

You can see some pictures in this thread: E350 CDi

Feel free to ask any questions about my time with the car. I've had it nearly 6 years now. :)

Thanks both - I wasn't sure which cars had a 4 pot engine e.g. any of the 2.2l or just the 3 litre upwards etc.

I was initially looking at the 350's too but saw I think a "real" MPG chart on HonestJohn and figures looked poor. My general commute is 18miles each way, mixture of A-Road, hopping on and off motorway and general b roads but barely any traffic. I also then fortnightly do a Bristol-Swansea-Bristol ---- Bristol-Swansea-Bristol over a weekend. My 54 plate A4 copes admirably on the fuel economy front but bit of rot setting in and lots of electrical gremlins so time to get rid - she has 248k on it and has been trouble free generally driving wise.

Only the 350 is a 6cylinder all others that you are referring to are 4pot.

If MPG is you main aim then the 350 is maybe not the best choice. The 220 or 250 would be fine.

Know why most suggest the 350 but is more expense to run.

Try and get one that had COMAND Online (it will likely be NTG4.5). And, if buying from a dealer, try and get them to update the firmware and update the maps (latest version is v19.0).

The 4-pot engine was not the most refined unit in its class at the time which is one of the reasons I went for the V6 - no idea how fuel consumption figure compare though. I replaced it with an Audi A6, but in many ways rather regret it! The Audi is bigger on the outside, smaller on the inside and less well-equipped as standard. Its saving grace is its magnificent (biTdi) engine though, which makes it much faster and yet more economical than the Merc.

Yeah I have done a lot of looking at the A6 and was originally my preference, given got a good Audi Indie to use and I think generally the internals look a bit better in my opinion. I think the E Class will offer slightly more room to rear passengers though.

I was initially looking at the 350's too but saw I think a "real" MPG chart on HonestJohn and figures looked poor. My general commute is 18miles each way, mixture of A-Road, hopping on and off motorway and general b roads but barely any traffic. I also then fortnightly do a Bristol-Swansea-Bristol ---- Bristol-Swansea-Bristol over a weekend.
FWIW, your general commute is not dissimilar to the one I used to do - 23 miles each way on fast A- and B-Roads with barely any traffic - and my E350CDI used to average 38mpg.

Yeah that MPG isn't the end of the world is it.... and presume may achieve more than that on good motorway runs.

Think I've seen some of the 250s only have £30 tax per annum which is appealing. Bristol is talking about bringing in a diesel ban too altho I can't even think about that at moment but are they all ULEZ compliant?

Go for the V6 if you can,it literally is so refined you’d never know you’re in a diesel .The difference is huge from the 4 cylinder cars. My wife tootles about urban 90% of the time in hers a 265 car and it sits at 33mpg. 45 mpg on a run averaging 60/70 is easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom