On the hunt for an E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Try and get one that had COMAND Online (it will likely be NTG4.5). And, if buying from a dealer, try and get them to update the firmware and update the maps (latest version is v19.0).

Also... from around mid-2013, MB started equipping cars that have COMAND with the KOM Module, which is essentially a GSM device with built-in Vodafone simcard. This allows the Navigation on COMAND to use the TomTom Live Traffic service. Earlier cars can only use the free TMC service, which isn't that great. If this feature is of interest, then make sure that the car has the KOM Module fitted - look for the option 'B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA' in the datacard.

However, the TomTom Live Traffic service isn't free, i.e. there's an annual subscription fee to pay, so if you have no intention of paying for live traffic data, or if you are not planning on using the car's navigation anyway (e.g. you have your own satnav, or use your phone, or just don't use satnav at all), then you can ignore this post :thumb:

Facelift was around July 2013 so you might see the odd 13 plate but to all intents and purposes they’re from 63 plate onwards, the easy way to spot it is, as said earlier, four headlights down to two.

Early V6 CDI was 231bhp with 7G box and was very snappy in lower gears especially from warm. Also pretty poor on fuel - 35mpg combined.

2011MY on 265bhp V6 (E350) with 7G+ box is fantastic (40mpg combined ime), at the other end 4cyl (E200/E220/E250) with 5 speed a bit agricultural improved slightly with newer 7G+ box around 2011.

Facelift E350 CDI power was dropped from 265bhp to 250bhp due to emissions (only reason I can think)

E220 circa 170bhp, E250 circa 205bhp.

Having owned numerous Mercedes and E-Class’s with all these engines I’d go for a facelift E350 but if the budget can’t quite stretch I’d go for the 250 CDI - 200bhp and comfortably late 50’s on a run and low 40’s around town.

Any diesel or large petrol engine is firmly in the sights of local and central government.
ULEZ compliant is:
Petrol euro 4 new type approvals 01/01/05 and most new regs 01/01/06.
Diesel euro 6 new type approvals 01/09/14 and most new regs 01/09/15.
Many petrol mercs are ULEZ compliant even if new reg is before then as the TfL definition of Euro 4 is for NOx only.
For diesels the ULEZ definition is for NOx and PM.
Navigating VED rules and ULEZ rules is a nightmare for us Londoners as diesel is discriminated against unless it is relatively new and parking can be more expensive too.

I'm terribly indecisive so this great information on last few posts just made things more difficult! 🤣
It took a whole 5 years of persuasion from SWMBO before I replaced my 20 year old car. She managed to write off her 15 year old car, so I generously let her have my 20 year old car.

Last edited:
It took a whole 5 years of persuasion from SWMBO before I replaced by 20 year old car. She managed to write off her 15 year old car, so I generously let her have my 20 year old car.

I'm struggling with that acronym haha. My missus has a brand new car yet I'm flogging mine with air con failure and god knows what else

Another woeful question but what's the general difference between a 220 and 250 as engine size appears the same? Is it just BHP

Another woeful question but what's the general difference between a 220 and 250 as engine size appears the same? Is it just BHP
Badges have not been related to Engine size since the early/mid 2,000's IIRC.

So what is the difference then generally? Is it related to spec or BHP etc

So what is the difference then generally? Is it related to spec or BHP etc
Both.
Bigger number = more powerful engine.
In the old days, it was much easier to understand. Now there are so many models and trim levels, its a nightmare.

Yeah I have done a lot of looking at the A6 and was originally my preference, given got a good Audi Indie to use and I think generally the internals look a bit better in my opinion. I think the E Class will offer slightly more room to rear passengers though.
Not sure about rear passenger space - I imagine they're very similar - but by interior space I meant overall volume, as I have/had estate versions of both and the Merc had a much roomier boot. Audi interior is nicer though, yes, in particular the retractable info screen, but there are some niggles too.

Facelift was around July 2013 so you might see the odd 13 plate but to all intents and purposes they’re from 63 plate onwards, the easy way to spot it is, as said earlier, four headlights down to two.

Early V6 CDI was 231bhp with 7G box and was very snappy in lower gears especially from warm. Also pretty poor on fuel - 35mpg combined.

2011MY on 265bhp V6 (E350) with 7G+ box is fantastic (40mpg combined ime), at the other end 4cyl (E200/E220/E250) with 5 speed a bit agricultural improved slightly with newer 7G+ box around 2011.

Facelift E350 CDI power was dropped from 265bhp to 250bhp due to emissions (only reason I can think)

E220 circa 170bhp, E250 circa 205bhp.

Having owned numerous Mercedes and E-Class’s with all these engines I’d go for a facelift E350 but if the budget can’t quite stretch I’d go for the 250 CDI - 200bhp and comfortably late 50’s on a run and low 40’s around town.
I guess the difficulty for me is on auto trader and the like they either don't provide this info or can't be added to look for it in defining the 350 facelift bhp

I guess the difficulty for me is on auto trader and the like they either don't provide this info or can't be added to look for it in defining the 350 facelift bhp
If you look in the technical info on the specific car on Auto Trader then it’ll show you.

Attachments

• 96A11F34-BC55-4605-9024-17E2287C43CC.png
    96A11F34-BC55-4605-9024-17E2287C43CC.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 26B3D9B0-DE5D-49EF-8A32-63D53AAC2B18.jpeg
    26B3D9B0-DE5D-49EF-8A32-63D53AAC2B18.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 3
I did look at that but when increasing budget couldn't find any that dropped from 265 to 250 bhp in the 350 model

Im not sure if it's a factor to you but test drive a few variant models. As I have a 2009/59 on 19" wheels it's a sporty ride not uncomfortable at all but it's firm. It's the AMG model so I'm unsure if this will affect. The other engine models. I currently have my 18" wheels on at present and the ride is much softer.

Maybe something that you will look into. The w212 is a fantastic place to be the interior is lovely it really is. And the driving experience overall is second to none for me.

Good luck with your search. You have a great budget also. You should get a fantastic car with it.

Just give that gear box a good drive in all modes. And feeling out for any unusual noises and jerky downshifts. Should in fairness be buttery smooth the gear shifts up and down the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom