On the hunt for an E Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah love a left field suggestion. They do look good will have a nose at those. Funnily enough had started looking at S Class as well but little too old fashioned in price range I have in mind.

How does the CLS compare for space in rear?

Ah love a left field suggestion. They do look good will have a nose at those. Funnily enough had started looking at S Class as well but little too old fashioned in price range I have in mind.

How does the CLS compare for space in rear?
Ah I need the 3 seats in back!

Ah I need the 3 seats in back!
The Shooting Brake has three rear seats as standard and (I believe, although someone will correct me if I'm wrong) they were optional in the Coupe.

The SB is what I have and there's plenty of room in the side seats in the back, even for six-footers. I've had a 5'8" person in the middle seat with no complaints. Plus, of course, there's a huge boot.

Last edited:
I can recommend this site for your search. You can play with the options to search for price low or high, your area etc and most of the cars also appear on Autotrader and Mercedes dealers as well as independant traders.

The Shooting Brake has three rear seats as standard and (I believe, although someone will correct me if I'm wrong) they were optional in the Coupe.

The SB is what I have and there's plenty of room in the side seats in the back, even for six-footers. I've had a 5'8" person in the middle seat with no complaints. Plus, of course, there's a huge boot.

That shooting brake is stunning, I am completely new to the Mercedes marque so have little knowledge. Is the CLS based at all on a specific platform? Reliability wise how does it compare with the E class. The middle seat on that estate looks quite tight but guess can be deceptive. Thanks

I can recommend this site for your search. You can play with the options to search for price low or high, your area etc and most of the cars also appear on Autotrader and Mercedes dealers as well as independant traders.

Great site is picking up some cars haven't noticed on auto trader.

That shooting brake is stunning, I am completely new to the Mercedes marque so have little knowledge. Is the CLS based at all on a specific platform? Reliability wise how does it compare with the E class. The middle seat on that estate looks quite tight but guess can be deceptive. Thanks
That model CLS (code 218) is based on the 2013+ E-class, but is lower, wider, sleeker and longer. The 250 diesel is the same as in the E250 and the 350 the same as the E350. Later models had the 220 diesel (same as the 250 but not as highly tuned), but they are quite a bit higher than your budget.

Reliability-wise, there's no difference, as they are basically the same car under the skin.

The rear seat is the same width as in the E, but has the sloping roof. However, the headlining is raised above the back seat, so overall almost identical space-wise as the E.

Having had both, the CLS doesn't feel tight inside at all and is a much sportier drive than the equivalent E.

Last edited:
So you wouldn't suggest a CLS over E class then?

Horses for courses. Try to get a test drive in both to see what you think.
I prefer the practicality of the E class with its extra rear seat over the cls saloon, and I doubt there is any difference in the driving experience between the two.
There is no denying the CLS is the prettier car, but the facelift E class from 2013 on runs it close IMHO.

Sorry had a few beers, when you said doesn't feel tight inside read it as "does feel tight inside" altho think you've edited post since haha.

Just seen on that autocar link a very nice e200 hybrid but not sure whether it's worth it when I don't have am electric hook up

Horses for courses. Try to get a test drive in both to see what you think.
I prefer the practicality of the E class with its extra rear seat over the cls saloon, and I doubt there is any difference in the driving experience between the two.
There is no denying the CLS is the prettier car, but the facelift E class from 2013 on runs it close IMHO.
Definitely horses for courses, but, having had a 211 E and a 219 CLS, a 212 E and a 218 CLS, I can definitively confirm the driving experience is hugely different. The E is very capable and I wouldn't disregard it at all, but the CLSs just hug the road and give far more smiles per mile.

No question the OP should drive both and see which suits his own preference.

Sorry had a few beers, when you said doesn't feel tight inside read it as "does feel tight inside" altho think you've edited post since haha.

Just seen on that autocar link a very nice e200 hybrid but not sure whether it's worth it when I don't have am electric hook up
I know what happened. Predictive text had replaced "tight" with "right". Changed it as soon as I noticed, but you may have seen the other version.

The E300 hybrid isn't a plug-in, but it does not have a very good reputation I'm afraid. Google it and you'll see the problems associated with it.

Thanks both, I suppose it's finding garages locally that have a car and are happy for test drives in current climate.

Sadly not an option on the coupe.

Standard on the new shape CLS though from what I can tell.

I'm pretty open minded to be honest. I like car to have a few toys but anything will be an improvement on my current one.

Also engine wise I get the 350 is a better drive but don't mind any of them

Hello all - thanks for the responses so far. Looking at a diesel, and likely the smaller engine (2.2?)
Hi, Just purchased an E Class avantguarde estate 220cdi 2012 with 53000 miles from Group One Mercedes Norwich. Price 10,450 one owner with FSH main dealer.
Dont be rushed and be willing to travel. I live in N Wales and had a 540 miles round trip to pick it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom