On the roundabout....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's unusual. Might be hard to leave if the guy in the middle is going right.

It isn't law but if a prang is the result from a third party going right the way round a roundabout in the left lane, whilst you were in the right hand lane, the Highway Code would be used to apportion blame, and as this manouvre doesn't feature in the Highway Code, the third party will be at fault.

Not really - the circumstances of the accident are more important than roundabout lane particularly bearing in mind that one is supposed to move over to the outside lane of the roundabout at the exit before your exit.
Drivers need to be aware of other vehicles around them and what those vehicles are doing. A roundabout by its very nature presents more opportunities for the less observant driver to have accidents.

Just need to keep your wits about you and check all mirrors

I was really confused then until i realised the OP was from Moscow!

Also , you can legally go round a roundabout three times before you have to come off !

I'd try concentrating on my driving a bit more and less on....other things... ;)

Not really - the circumstances of the accident are more important than roundabout lane particularly bearing in mind that one is supposed to move over to the outside lane of the roundabout at the exit before your exit.

There is a marked difference between moving out to the left lane before your exit, and driving past 1, 2 or even 3 exits in the left hand lane, which is what this post is elluding to.

However, in a case where there are no other circumstances affecting the situation as of course if one driver was asleep etc., then the Highway code would be used. I only know this because a road traffic cop once explained it to me.

I find that hardly anyone seems to indicate going around roundabouts any more. Not sure if its a new thing that drivers a taught nowadays, but its a real bug bearer of mine especially when you're on a motorbike & you've got to try and use your psychic ability to work out where they're gonna go.

It isn't law but if a prang is the result from a third party going right the way round a roundabout in the left lane, whilst you were in the right hand lane, the Highway Code would be used to apportion blame, and as this manouvre doesn't feature in the Highway Code, the third party will be at fault.

That's not true, it is the driver on the inside lane of the roundabout that has the responsibility to check that his exit and lane to is left is clear. If a car exiting from the inner lane into the outer lane of a roundabout collided with another vehicle he would be at fault, not the driver in the outer lane, even if he were in the wrong lane or going round the roundabout 3 times.:D

Highway code is rarely used in prosecution and certain advanced driving techniques (also used by the police) go against what the HWC says.

My pet hate at roundabouts , and since it seems to be something that younger drivers do - so I suspect the L driver schools are teaching it , is for drivers going straight ahead on roundabouts to signal right on the approach then change the right signal to a breakaway signal halfway across . Most people on here , I am sure , will be aware that the correct proceedure for straight ahead ( going from ' 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock ' ) on a roundabout is not to give any signal on the approach , and a 'breakaway' signal , if required , once clearly past the exit prior to the one you wish to take . This is shown both in Roadcraft as well as HC .

This annoys me on two counts -

1 - if I am approaching the same roundabout from the opposite direction and I see an oncoming car trafficating right , I will assume they are turning right in front of me and wait for them to pass ; when they then effectively 'change their mind' I find that I have slowed and stopped needlessly , wasting both my time and energy when I could have safely been on my way .

2. If I follow such a car onto a roundabout ( intending myself to go straight ahead ) , and as well as trafficating right , they have also positioned to the right , I will interpret their position and signalling to indicate that they are turning right ( or at least going beyond 12o'clock ) . While I would not actively overtake someone going round a roundabout , if our differing rates of progress brings me alongside , or close behind them , I have to be very wary that some will suddenly trafficate left and attempt to go straight on , cutting me off in the process - I am always watchful of such people and ready with both brakes and horn - sometimes I will just give a pre emptive 'toot' if alongside - just to make sure they are aware of me .

That's not true, it is the driver on the inside lane of the roundabout that has the responsibility to check that his exit and lane to is left is clear. If a car exiting from the inner lane into the outer lane of a roundabout collided with another vehicle he would be at fault, not the driver in the outer lane, even if he were in the wrong lane or going round the roundabout 3 times.:D

Highway code is rarely used in prosecution and certain advanced driving techniques (also used by the police) go against what the HWC says.

One point which may cause confusion is , when talking about roundabouts , the 'inside lane' can refer to the one closest to the hub , or furthest right , similarly 'outside lane' can be furthest left - this is the complete opposite of terminology when discussing lanes on motorways or DCWs - both of which often lead directly onto roundabouts !

I have a wonderful bit of 'double talk' , which was given me by an IAM group some years ago in relation to 'offside' and 'nearside' and how they change in relation to LHD and RHD cars . It was a perfect example of somebody trying to clarify things and failing miserably - I'll see if I can dig it out .

Junction 7 of A1(M) - Stevenage South - signage on slip road clearly says "use both lanes" . Never ceases to amaze me how many drivers do just that........

M9 slip J5 a Falkirk.

Left lane for left. simple. Other two lanes signed A905. Now the first A905 exit is passed 12 o'clock but is classed as straight on. The other exit, to the right, goes to Grangemouth.

The amount of times some idiot has got in the righthand lane, gone round the roundabout next to me and then got annoyed at me being properly positioned to get off at the first A905 exit, where they want to be, is amazing.

Lot of nuggets out there people!

m.

I saw this for real at one roundabout:

bly.jpg

that is not unusual, the approach to many big multi lane roundabouts are marked this way.

Last edited:
M9 slip J5 a Falkirk.

Left lane for left. simple. Other two lanes signed A905. Now the first A905 exit is passed 12 o'clock but is classed as straight on. The other exit, to the right, goes to Grangemouth.

The amount of times some idiot has got in the righthand lane, gone round the roundabout next to me and then got annoyed at me being properly positioned to get off at the first A905 exit, where they want to be, is amazing.

Lot of nuggets out there people!

m.

Yes , that one does have the potential to confuse - I used to live both in Bo'ness and Falkirk at different times , so I know the area well .

I think the problem is that the first three exits all go more or less straight ahead ( the roads run pretty much parallel ) so one man's idea of left is another's straight ahead , etc .

I have seen a fair few near misses there too .

Since they re-did it with the grippy tarmac though the signs have been improved. It could be confusing but some are clearly just hard of thinking. The sign says A905 and offers two lanes. I wouldn't have thought it was a great leap of logic to go in the lane that will take you off first for the first of those options! A simple study on the drive home reveals me to be wrong. :)

Being able to identify the correct lane to be in, particularly when you can clearly see ahead what the road does or see the arrows on the road, is still very tough for some people.

I have a roundabout on my way home.

The approach turns into 3 lanes up to it, it has 3 lanes on it, but lane 3 goes 'round' the roundabout and stops at lights which are on the roundabout.

So what does that leave then?

Hmm, yes that's right, lanes 1 and 2, which are on the approach, on the roundabout and then, oh look, there they are again off from the exit, with nice white dotted lines lining them up so you cannot be in any doubt.

Of course, how confusing 'staying in lane 1' or 'staying in lane 2' all the time, without changing lanes, must be for some as they end up moving from lane 1 on the roundabout to lane 2 and find themselves in lane two on the exit.

Moving the big round thing in your hands at the same time as the road bends? How confusing.

:doh:

While I agree with what everyone says about using the correct lane, that's not relevant in determining whose fault it is if you have a bump.
As someone has posted, you can go all the way round in the left hand lane if you wish. The key issue is "lane". If you change lane and hit someone, it's your fault. ie, if you are in the right hand lane goign round the roundabout and pull to the left to leave at your exit, and hit someone in the left hand lane going all the way round, it's your fault - you changed lane when it was not safe to do so. That's the key.
It may cause all kinds of disruption if someone goes all the way round in the left hand lane, but they're not at fault if someone in the right hand lane pulls ove and hits them.

Cheer,
MarkP

Sorry but your are wrong.The correct way to leave the roundabout is to use right side going right and to leave change the lane,if the roundabout is not marked.Once you are on roundabout every other vehicle need to give a way,simple.Otherwise follow your lanes,usually ther are arrowed.

No. If you are in the right hand lane, you can only move to the left lane to leave the roundabout if it I'd safe to do so.
To move from the right hand lane to leave a roundabout requires you to cross the left hand lane (on a 2-lane roundabout). If you leave your lane and hit another car, you are at fault.
I never mentioned roundabouts with no markings.
All roundabouts I have seen with more than one lane have the lanes marked - otherwise they're single lane. Generally only complex roundabouts with multiple lanes have those arrows etc as you move around (I'm not talking about arrows on the roads leading up to the roundabout) but the same applies.

To suggest that once you are on a roundabout every other vehicle has to give way is nonsense. We're talking here about two vehicles both of which are already on the roundabout, not one of them joining.

MarkP

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom