On using Pay & Display Car Parks. Ettiquette and other questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Their money is likely from disability benefits. It makes no sense for them to be giving a portion of that regularly to parking companies.

If I park, it’s my own hard earned, but if I’m not capable of work, it doesn’t seem sensible that the state handouts I live off get milked by parking companies.

I have a BMW and I would have parked wherever I damn well pleased. Even on top of somebody else’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That made me laugh out loud. The missus thinks I am watching Family Guy.

Bruce did the correct thing by moving over to the BMW lane when entering the car park. Everyone knows the outside lane is reserved for BMW's.

So today I find myself at a pre-booked hospital appointment. This means that I have to park in the Hospitals Pay & Display Car Park. What could be a more simple, stress free task, I hear you ask? Or, maybe you are already thinking "it could only happen to him?"

Anyway. The entrance to the Car Park splits into two lanes with a ticket machine ahead of the two separate clearly marked and defined lanes & barriers. To assist those who should consider surrendering their driving licenses immediately. The hospital has put up several bill board sized signs in neon coloured lettering, saying: PLEASE USE BOTH LANES. BOTH LANES ARE OPEN. PLEASE USE BOTH LANES.

Now at some point there must be a 'babel fish' that I missed. As I approached the 1/2 mile queue of traffic all waiting patiently (no pun) to use the left hand lane and leaving the right lane completely vacant. Well, me being a kamikaze, devil may care, daredevil type!! I elected to follow the signs and USE BOTH LANES (not at the same time, that would be silly) no I just drove up the vacant right hand lane, to the vacant ticket machine, pushed the button, up went the barrier and I drive in. As I drive in I can hear several cars honking their horns. A quick look and I can see some of the queuing people making angry gestures at me?

Curious, I pull over and walk up the first car who's driver is still honking and shaking his fist at me, whilst his lady passenger looks on.

Me: "Is there a problem?"
Him: "you jumped the queue and that is just rude"
Me: Pointing to the signs. "I followed the signs that say USE BOTH LANES"
Him: " You still jumped the queue, if we all did that it would be chaos"
Me: "I'm not arguing with you. You are meant to use both lanes"
Him: (and I am not making this up) "F*ck off you pratt. You know what you did?"
Me: "I'm leaving now. I have an appointment. Have a nice day"

I then get back in my car (well it's my wife's car) and it's a BMW!!! maybe this explains the anger? I start to circumnavigate the car park in search of a space. Ahead of me are several cars all pulled up on the left waiting on people to leave (and blocking anybody on their left in). I drive slowly past them and continue round the car park. As I approach my entry point, a car pulls out dead ahead of me. The lady driver gives me a cheery wave, which I return as I drive straight into the now vacant space.

As I climb out my car - HONK....HONK.. It's my friend again now parked across my back bumper.

Me: "is there a problem?"
Him: "you just stole my space"
Me: "it's not your space you were waiting back down the other end"
Him: " you should have waited behind me"
Me: " I have every right to be here, I did not force in, you were happily waiting"
Him: "F*ck off you pratt"
Me: " have a nice day I'm off to my appointment"

So what is the etiquette here?

If somebody decides to stop and wait in a car park, should the whole world stop and wait behind them?

I did not see somebody pull out and blast around this guy, to cut in front of him. I was at the complete opposite end of the car park to him, driving at 5mph looking for a space.

Am I meant to decline that space and hail my rude friend over, allowing him to have it? This assumes that in the interim he has not found another space.

Should I have just accepted that we are, after all, in a hospital car park and knocked his teeth down his rude potty mouthed throat, safe in the knowledge that medical attention is on hand?

Should he be eating a full box of de-stress tablets before leaving home along with learning how to read simple, well written signage?

Is it because I is a BMW driver, and a "pratt"
Bruce, you did the right thing. The guy was an idiot.

Their money is likely from disability benefits. It makes no sense for them to be giving a portion of that regularly to parking companies.

If I park, it’s my own hard earned, but if I’m not capable of work, it doesn’t seem sensible that the state handouts I live off get milked by parking companies.

Perhaps the financial benefit should be means tested.

Perhaps the financial benefit should be means tested.
There already two types of mobility badge, one is for parking only the other is based on severity of disability and includes free road tax, toll passes etc.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There already two types of mobility badge, one is for parking only the other is based on severity of disability and includes free road tax, toll passes etc.

Based on disability or income?

So today I find myself at a pre-booked hospital appointment. This means that I have to park in the Hospitals Pay & Display Car Park. What could be a more simple, stress free task, I hear you ask? Or, maybe you are already thinking "it could only happen to him?"

Anyway. The entrance to the Car Park splits into two lanes with a ticket machine ahead of the two separate clearly marked and defined lanes & barriers. To assist those who should consider surrendering their driving licenses immediately. The hospital has put up several bill board sized signs in neon coloured lettering, saying: PLEASE USE BOTH LANES. BOTH LANES ARE OPEN. PLEASE USE BOTH LANES.

Now at some point there must be a 'babel fish' that I missed. As I approached the 1/2 mile queue of traffic all waiting patiently (no pun) to use the left hand lane and leaving the right lane completely vacant. Well, me being a kamikaze, devil may care, daredevil type!! I elected to follow the signs and USE BOTH LANES (not at the same time, that would be silly) no I just drove up the vacant right hand lane, to the vacant ticket machine, pushed the button, up went the barrier and I drive in. As I drive in I can hear several cars honking their horns. A quick look and I can see some of the queuing people making angry gestures at me?

Curious, I pull over and walk up the first car who's driver is still honking and shaking his fist at me, whilst his lady passenger looks on.

Me: "Is there a problem?"
Him: "you jumped the queue and that is just rude"
Me: Pointing to the signs. "I followed the signs that say USE BOTH LANES"
Him: " You still jumped the queue, if we all did that it would be chaos"
Me: "I'm not arguing with you. You are meant to use both lanes"
Him: (and I am not making this up) "F*ck off you pratt. You know what you did?"
Me: "I'm leaving now. I have an appointment. Have a nice day"

I then get back in my car (well it's my wife's car) and it's a BMW!!! maybe this explains the anger? I start to circumnavigate the car park in search of a space. Ahead of me are several cars all pulled up on the left waiting on people to leave (and blocking anybody on their left in). I drive slowly past them and continue round the car park. As I approach my entry point, a car pulls out dead ahead of me. The lady driver gives me a cheery wave, which I return as I drive straight into the now vacant space.

As I climb out my car - HONK....HONK.. It's my friend again now parked across my back bumper.

Me: "is there a problem?"
Him: "you just stole my space"
Me: "it's not your space you were waiting back down the other end"
Him: " you should have waited behind me"
Me: " I have every right to be here, I did not force in, you were happily waiting"
Him: "F*ck off you pratt"
Me: " have a nice day I'm off to my appointment"

So what is the etiquette here?

If somebody decides to stop and wait in a car park, should the whole world stop and wait behind them?

I did not see somebody pull out and blast around this guy, to cut in front of him. I was at the complete opposite end of the car park to him, driving at 5mph looking for a space.

Am I meant to decline that space and hail my rude friend over, allowing him to have it? This assumes that in the interim he has not found another space.

Should I have just accepted that we are, after all, in a hospital car park and knocked his teeth down his rude potty mouthed throat, safe in the knowledge that medical attention is on hand?

Should he be eating a full box of de-stress tablets before leaving home along with learning how to read simple, well written signage?

Is it because I is a BMW driver, and a "pratt"
Based upon your description I would have done what you did, except get out of the car, as it could be considered confrontational, and I would much rather the other driver(s) think bad of me (even if unjustified) than be concerned about what I might do next.

Bruce you have done nothing wrong here but I don't think I would have gotten out of the car. I wouldn't bother to waste my time and energy on idiots like this these days. I tend to ignore all acts like this and carry on my merry way.

It is similar to when someone is over taken by you in a way that doesn't cause them an issues or hinder their progress then they flash you. I used to slow down or do silly things when I was young & less learned. Now I just ignore them while less stressed & less worried what anyone else thinks. I worry less about what anyone thinks more now than ever. As long as I am happy or OK with myself or my conduct & can pop my head on the pillow at night with no issue then all is good in the world. Well to a point if you catch my drift!

You never know what idiot is in the car you are approaching when you get out. They could have guns, knives or anything. They could also be a crazy nut case you are catching at a bad time as they are obviously already angry. Leave them be it is just not worth it. You have to ask what are you looking to achieve? Are you going to enlighten them in 2 mins & switch something on that has been off all their lives? Unlikely. The potential downside outweighs the potential upside in that scenario IMHO. Leave them be and walk on.

You had the observational awareness, guile and took a risk in a sense to do what the twin lanes were designed to do when all others didn't have the brain power, awareness or risk aversion to undertake. They are actually making an issue worse by causing this long queue by not doing what they should be. That is hardly your fault.

You have similar scenarios with bus lanes when restrictions are lifted out of peak hours. People seem afraid or feel it is wrong or something then don't go in them. Come on people take a chance, be confident and we all benefit. It is always a weird scenario as generally something too good to be true generally is. However sometimes it is just because the sheep are all following each other. I am, have never been and will never be a sheep. I am always looking at ways to be better, do my very best, do something different to better anything and work hard to do so. If people choose not to do that then this is their prerogative however don't moan or complain when I do someyhing different you don't like and if you do I'm going to ignore you anyway.

I think some people get angry or jealous if they haven't thought of doing something that someone else has done to better themselves. It is this kind of lack of responsibility that I have an issue with. I didn't think of that idea but will moan it is unfair when you did. I have taken a risk all my working life & don't feel I have really been compensated enough for this but that is another story for another day.

Don't get me wrong, I am a nice person, mind my p's & q's, am considerate, look after & think of others mainly before myself. I do all the things that society & the govt tell me to do. However this is starting to waver now as you don't get what you deserve or are due this way and that is also not fair.

I would wait for someone to go in a space if I can see they are waiting close by but I wouldn't wait if I can see a space further away that I know they are not waiting for. I would let someone go and pull out of a turning in many occasion because I'm nice or considerate or can see they are holding many other motorists' progress. If they are not aware and don't move in a decent timeframe they lose the opportunity & I'll move on.

There are windows of opportunity for everything often. Carpe Diem. We are a long time dead and life is short. Stop moaning about stuff people & society and do something about it. Do your best always & that is all we can ask.

Don't get me started on hospital car parks for people with long term or serious illness!

Bruce, you have done nothing wrong here and can rest your fine head on the pilllow with no issue.

Folks

Thank you for all the great and helpful replies. It is interesting to note that most feel I did nothing wrong. As for getting out the car? That was not as confrontational as it may sound. AT 5'5 and weighing 8.5 stone, I do not look like I want confrontation. But I had also had time to have a good look and weigh up the risk. Sometimes I feel that people do things without ever stopping to think through the impact of their own actions! He is having a bad day? So nobody else is? He is trying to park right outside the Oncology ward and was in a minority, he had a full head of hair as did his passenger. Most there do not have hair, or wear hats and scarves. There is no mistaking their purpose in being there (if you take a second to think about it).

I only write about it as I have become very, very aware of the actions of others and enjoy sharing the humour that I see in this. These thing are minutia happening every second of every day and go unnoticed or unpunished. I like the idea of standing up trying to understand why people feel they are right and everybody else is wrong despite the ample signage to help them.

Life is short and I try to enjoy every second of it. On wards and up wards.

Above he said ‘based on severity of disability’ :)
To me it's a bit like saying that all BMW or truck drivers are wrong 'uns.
I believe that all benefits, concessions or allowances should be means tested.
My mum could easily claim for a badge and, most likely, a car to go with but the thought horrifies her as she can afford not to.
I'm not saying that disabled people in financial need shouldn't receive assistance both financially and in terms of support.
Many of us are paying our taxes this week and the thought that any of mine goes to paying towards cars for people that can easily afford them saddens me.

To me it's a bit like saying that all BMW or truck drivers are wrong 'uns.
I believe that all benefits, concessions or allowances should be means tested.
My mum could easily claim for a badge and, most likely, a car to go with but the thought horrifies her as she can afford not to.
I'm not saying that disabled people in financial need shouldn't receive assistance both financially and in terms of support.
Many of us are paying our taxes this week and the thought that any of mine goes to paying towards cars for people that can easily afford them saddens me.

I understand your point. However, one could argue that equality gives everyone the same right to benifits if their circumstances qualify them.

If they’ve paid their taxes in the past and contributed to the system then they are entitled yes?

Incidentally I think if you have savings over a certain amount you loose your right to certain benefits. However, even this raises arguments for & against.

I actually qualified for a badge, but never took up the "offer". No sense of entitlement or not, here. I had a rather strange feeling in my brain about the whole thing. It was like, all of a sudden I'm being reminded of my age and my own human frailty. I had been given an NHS exemption card for my prescriptions (that I was not going to refuse) and just as I was starting to revel in new status, I was told "you don't need that now. You are over 60. You can get a Blue Badge?" Had they added the words "you old knacker" onto the end of this I would have felt at home.

I have never felt attached any age or ailment (if that makes sense at all?). I dress as I wish and pretty much live as I wish. I honestly never sit back and think "Oooh I am 60 now, I should be doing xx or, I should stop doing yy". Occasionally I have a think about would I embarrass my daughters if I wore this? But outside of that I just carry on as normal.

My thinking with the Blue Bade was: Entitled or not, I didn'y look like I needed it and I was not really inhibited to ant great extent. I kind of wished that there was scheme where if you didn't take them up on it you could ward it somebody more deserving who for whatever reason had not qualified.

I actually qualified for a badge, but never took up the "offer". No sense of entitlement or not, here. I had a rather strange feeling in my brain about the whole thing. It was like, all of a sudden I'm being reminded of my age and my own human frailty. I had been given an NHS exemption card for my prescriptions (that I was not going to refuse) and just as I was starting to revel in new status, I was told "you don't need that now. You are over 60. You can get a Blue Badge?" Had they added the words "you old knacker" onto the end of this I would have felt at home.

I have never felt attached any age or ailment (if that makes sense at all?). I dress as I wish and pretty much live as I wish. I honestly never sit back and think "Oooh I am 60 now, I should be doing xx or, I should stop doing yy". Occasionally I have a think about would I embarrass my daughters if I wore this? But outside of that I just carry on as normal.

My thinking with the Blue Bade was: Entitled or not, I didn'y look like I needed it and I was not really inhibited to ant great extent. I kind of wished that there was scheme where if you didn't take them up on it you could ward it somebody more deserving who for whatever reason had not qualified.

TBH Bruce it’s not always an age related award.

Mrs Ant is only 44, but the Blue Badge helps out immensely on those occasions when she can’t use her scooter (when I’m not with her as she isn’t able to remove scooter from car and assemble it.) When I’m with her and assemble scooter we park in Non disabled bays.

Much of the problem is the publics perception of her because there’s no visual signs of her illness. All her arms and legs in tact so to them she’s obviously just a lazy bugger.

It seems the blue badge is awarded to a wide range of people. For example my sisters daughter lost her hearing due to meningitis at the age of 18 Months. (She is now 14) but still has the badge even though she excells at gymnastics at school and is fitter than most people. Not a criticism, just an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH Bruce it’s not always an age related award.

Mrs Ant is only 44, but the Blue Badge helps out immensely on those occasions when she can’t use her scooter (when I’m not with her as she isn’t able to remove scooter from car and assemble it.) When I’m with her and assemble scooter we park in Non disabled bays.

Much of the problem is the publics perception of her because there’s no visual signs of her illness. All her arms and legs in tact so to them she’s obviously just a lazy bugger.

It seems the blue badge is awarded to a wide range of people. For example my sisters daughter lost her hearing due to meningitis at the age of 18 Months. (She is now 14) but still has the badge even though she excells at gymnastics at school and is fitter than most people. Not a criticism, just an example.

Ant. Yes I was aware it’s not age related. Mine was health related.....and yes people do judge by appearance (sadly). You look okay so you must be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never understood the advantage of the scheme when you can buy your own vehicle outside of it without the constraints and take the allowance in cash, this article shows it for the scam I always thought it was and justifies my advice given to my father years ago..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom