Oncoming Car on the wrong side of a Dual Carrageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
This happened to me on Saturday night about 10miles out of Luton on the A505 between Hitchin. (0:20)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I was overtaking on a blind hill (for which there are many on that road) I wouldnt be here typing this now :eek::eek::eek:

This is what the road looks like in the daytime:
Google Maps

Holy Cow! I'm glad nothing happened. Any local news reports to suggest some other poor driver wasn't so lucky?

Oh, and is it true that adrenalin smells like sh1t...

I had a look to see if anything was on the Luton news, but didnt see anything. - Im thinking someone confused instead of Drunk.

Brown-Tronic was activated :eek:

Damn. That’s not a lot of reaction time.
Glad you’re ok.

Wow.

Scary stuff.

that happened to me as well that night on the same road but it was many of them not just 1.

that happened to me as well that night on the same road but it was many of them not just 1.
Seems it happened to you twice!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I just don’t understand how things like this happen, it beggars belief:eek:

I guess the likes of this is one reason the speed limit is where it is.

Good God ! Shocking. On my first (of many) business trips to the USA last year I often had a little chuckle to myself when on junctions joining the freeway I saw forlorn looking tin signs on wonky post stating 'WRONG WAY'....(Asshole) to remind the hard of thinking that they were about to make a potentially fatal mistake by driving the ..err?..wrong way onto a busy road.

I thought how stupid must you be to need reminding of such Buffoonery ?....I have changed my mind.We need them in the UK...NOW.

Reactions: 219
Good God ! Shocking. On my first (of many) business trips to the USA last year I often had a little chuckle to myself when on junctions joining the freeway I saw forlorn looking tin signs on wonky post stating 'WRONG WAY'....(Asshole) to remind the hard of thinking that they were about to make a potentially fatal mistake by driving the ..err?..wrong way onto a busy road.

I thought how stupid must you be to need reminding of such Buffoonery ?....I have changed my mind.We need them in the UK...NOW.
thanks for letting us know that you do business in USA. lol

I'm fairly sure we've had them for some time now, on slip roads where it is deemed to be a risk. However, I'm not at all convinced they're going to entirely solve the problem. While they might catch a few dozy eejits, if the sight of several miles of consistently oncoming vehicles plus traffic matching you on the other side of the barrier hasn't rung any alarm bells, then a no entry sign at the start isn't going to register at all on the hare-brained morons.

I guess the likes of this is one reason the speed limit is where it is.
Hmm, head on at 70mph will be pretty much as devastating as 100mph. I doubt reaction times will help either!

3 people killed in Peterborough when a 4x4 came down slip road wrong way and head on with a car. All 3 in the car dead, 4x4 driver over the prescribed limit of drink or drugs.

Scary, and you've been overtaken by that tiny car just few seconds before.

Hmm, head on at 70mph will be pretty much as devastating as 100mph. I doubt reaction times will help either!

Impact force at 100mph will be double that for 70mph.

Problem often lies with "dualing" an existing 2 way main road and how this then "interfaces" with existing minor roads that it used to have T junctions with. A quick perusal of the area on Google street view revealed an narrow two way side road which suddenly became a two lane one way "exit ramp" following a poorly sign posted junction with A NO ENTRY sign to what would have been a drivers previous natural line of travel. Missing seeing the no entry sign would bring any motorist onto the dual carriageway in the wrong direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom