One cog short of a full box?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kersidan

Car
S212 E350 cdi sport 265 Estate
Driving down the M4 to Bath the other weekend to pick up my daughters wedding dress (financial stabbing pain each time I think about it!). Anyways, I noticed that the autobox display was showing D6 it normally shows just D when in auto mode. Could I have accidentally touched one of the paddle shifters and locked the box in 6th gear (I have read that this is a feature whereby you can lock it in gear?) So comfortably cruising along at 70 ish but why does it display D6 when it's a 7 speed box? I've looked at the manuals but it doesn't explain things very well.

Thanks for any explanations.
Mark

Assuming the 7-speed in your E Class is similar to our C Class then yes, accidentally nudging a paddle would do that. If you 'override' the gearbox by selecting a lower (or higher) gear then that gear number is shown on the cluster display. In normal auto you just see D.

Assuming the 7-speed in your E Class is similar to our C Class then yes, accidentally nudging a paddle would do that. If you 'override' the gearbox by selecting a lower (or higher) gear then that gear number is shown on the cluster display. In normal auto you just see D.

Was I unwittingly stuck in 6th or 7th gear? I read somewhere that in this situation i.e. displaying D6 it's saying that there are 6 lower gears that can be selected other than the one you're in (i.e. 7th) if that makes any sense?

RPM = approx 1700 at 70mph. Normally is see RPM 2000 = approx 80mph in auto mode and assuming this is in 7th gear.

Mark

Last edited:
When in 'manual' mode, going from 6th to 7th puts it back in auto mode.

Was I unwittingly stuck in 6th or 7th gear? I read somewhere that in this situation i.e. displaying D6 it's saying that there are 6 lower gears that can be selected other than the one you're in (i.e. 7th) if that makes any sense?

Again ... assuming it's the same as our C Class it displays the gear that you're in if you have selected it yourself. If you are cruising in 7th (auto) and hit the down paddle it will change to 6th and stick there. It will change down from that if you slow down, but it won't go up above 6th gear.

As mentioned if you manually change up with the paddles to 7th it goes back to normal auto mode (D shown in the cluster).

Again ... assuming it's the same as our C Class it displays the gear that you're in if you have selected it yourself. If you are cruising in 7th (auto) and hit the down paddle it will change to 6th and stick there. It will change down from that if you slow down, but it won't go up above 6th gear.

As mentioned if you manually change up with the paddles to 7th it goes back to normal auto mode (D shown in the cluster).

Thanks Bill, it's making sense (I think) Best thing to do is for me to go for a drive and do some experimentation and see what I can recreate. Just need to wait till SWMBO returns from shopping with said car....

Mark

If you thought you had inadvertently nudged the gear shift, would it not have been the sensible to nudge it the other way to see what happens?

Just saying.

I constantly flick my gear stick to the right to make sure...does no harm.

If you thought you had inadvertently nudged the gear shift, would it not have been the sensible to nudge it the other way to see what happens?

Just saying.

I constantly flick my gear stick to the right to make sure...does no harm.

I know what you're saying but with the W/S212 E350 cdi models with the column mounted auto selector you can't nudge it unwittingly into manual mode unlike the 'traditional' transmission tunnel mounted selectors as I had in my previous MB cars. So unless you purposely select via the button 'E - S - M' switch the only other way is to nudge one of the paddle shifters, which can be done by mistake, this is I gather puts the transmission into a specific gear. I'll do some specific tests and report back.

It's not a big issue but I just like to get to the bottom of how things operate :confused:

Mark

My W212 (2015) always shows the gear you're in no matter if you select with paddles or let it self shift...........

My W212 (2015) always shows the gear you're in no matter if you select with paddles or let it self shift...........

Now that does seem sensible. Must buy a newer car next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom