One for Dragon ...

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Howard, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
  2. Dragon

Dragon Banned

Thanks, saw that too but didn't want to post it as some of you guys were yawning.

Did you spot that 3 foot camper? that could be interesting for members, but it VW.:D

3. scumbag

scumbag Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
    right, thats it, I am not speaking to Howard ever again.

Do not try and make me, I won't ever look at another post of his again.

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Why do you think he posted it..??

Off to look for Daily Mail drivel to post....

5. scumbag

scumbag Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Its German, has a round badge, reminds me of a Mercedes. Satan fuelled
    you have just been removed from my christmas card list too.

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    There is a God...:D

7. OP
    OP
    Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Woo Hoo !! :bannana:

8. SimonsMerc

SimonsMerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, VW Passat B6, Suzuki GSX-650F, Suzuki DRZ-400SM
    Careful, don't rubbish that rag, people will attack you for it...

9. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone
    But Discworld is real isn't it?

10. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    First off, this is not an attack or standing their corner.............
    Can anyone tell me in honest, non emotional terms exactly why some people find the Daily Mail so offensive and attract the fairly regular critical comments?
    I read several newspapers during a normal weekday (I dont read weekend newspapers) and to be honest, personally, I would not single out the Daily Mail for any greater criticism over any of the other tabloids - or indeed the broadsheets. I have always found the Mail to be right wing. But no more right wing than say the Express or the Sun. Its views dont appear to be any more extreme or biased than other papers.
    Judging by circulation figures, the Mail must be doing something right as they are second only to the Sun in sales. And surely, thats what they are in business to do. To shift copy more than their competitors.
    I am not holding the flag on their behalf as I think they are as good/bad as any other newspaper.
    So why pick on the Mail?
    I await all and any valid/logical answers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  11. UnMarked

UnMarked Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various-depends on the weather
    I think it's more of a a dig at people who take what the Mail prints as Gospel rather than the paper itself.

Like you I think all the media, in whatever form, has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Except the back pages of course ;)

12. V8mate

V8mate Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Grabbing a copy off a train seat etc I have, on several occasions, seen them turn a subject, around which there remains much conjecture, into 'fact'. The 'fact' is then twisted to inject a sense of alarm.

I think it is quite irresponsible journalism to create those kind of feelings amongst a readership who probably think they are reading a 'quality newspaper' rather than a red top. These people then go on to regurgitate these facts verbally and in other media until, nationally, perception becomes reality.

I see it as a real limitation on this country's ability to progress. The media decides that something is a fact; the population are persuaded and the government then acts upon it. All to our own detriment.

Evolution still has a long way to go - and it's all the Daily Mail's fault.
    (damn, I was doing so well, until the sensationalist ending :D )

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    V8mate has put the case very concisely.
    The paper takes a small amount of biased fact, mixes it with vast quantities of speculation and rubbish, then presents it in a way so it all appears to be factual.
    For some reason the readership takes this as gospel with no further checking and spreads the story and belief as factoid, usually allowing no criticism or questioning.

Why does the paper do this.??
    Money, money, money..

14. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    could the world survive if we removed salesmen and journo`s??

I think so

Can anybody else think of other occupations that attract so disgust and public mickey taking? (I include estate agents as salesman), think filthy rich and catflap, comedy, had a poke at journo`s and Midge Ure at the same time, there was also a whole series dedicated to having a go at estate agents, I dont see people doing this to respected occupations, engineers for example have whole stations (disco series of channels) dedicated to their work.

It is for these reasons that journos and salesman are not respected, and nor is their work, hense the journo slagging threads of late

15. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    Not all journalists are the same. There are hacks who will write whatever they think the editor wants to hear and there are people who have a genuine interest in world events and want to find out more and report it. I have a friend who was the middle east correspondent for a Spanish broadsheet. He has stories that will make your hair stand on end, but for the most part he was reporting on political incidents. He's still out there but now working for the UN.

Without journalists, who would hold politicians to account - state sponsored papers?

Oh and the Mail is a specious and profoundly cynical rag in my considered opinion. :)

And the earth is not flat ;)

Ade

16. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Simpler than that. We didn't have members posting newspaper opinion articles, if members did post from a newspaper it was factual information.
    When people talk of their opinions it will always lead to confrontation as it's unlikely that another will share their opinion, even less likely if the opinion is from a paper only interested in selling copy.
    Of course. Any salesperson can only sell a product that someone actually wants to buy. Successful Salespeople work out which product will be in demand and sell that product, but without a product they can't sell.

That's not to say there aren't poor salespeople who can't sell anything, but without a product, usually designed by an engineer, there is nothing to sell.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  17. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430

Ade, I take that on board, my post was a bit of a sweeping generalisation about sensationlist reporters, I was thinking the real life Damian Days from drop the dead donkey

18. V8mate

V8mate Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Unfortunately, most media groups, whether newspapers or TV, are very focussed on their brand thesedays. This means that the editorial policy is law for contributors.

The Internet is one way in which news can be disseminated without such policies. Unfortunately, there is also so much 'looney news' and disinformation on the web that a great deal of content is dismissed or never read. 'People' still trust the mainstream news-givers; or if they don't, they don't do enough to bring the ivory towers crashing down.

Bl00dy good revolution; that's what we need :)

19. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    I'm a salesman and bloody proud of it!

Who the hell are you to say that my profession attracts disgust in others? Without sales people no industry in the world would survive. Every one of us sells ourselves nearly every day. Ask yourself, did you sell yourself when you met your wife, girlfriend? Or maybe you don't have the people skills to have progressed to that stage.

Of course we need engineers as well, who else would we call to fix the coffee machine?

20. OP
    OP
    Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Ha Ha ! :D

What do you sell ?

I think he might have been referring to double glazing salesmen , that sort of thing ...

Tags: